No starters from the draft? Not exactly true.

21 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

Charles Davis from the NFL Network said he talked with five offensive line coaches, and every one of them named Brown as the rookie offensive lineman they wanted to coach.  He has the most athletic profile for an offensive tackle in the last two decades.  I think he's close to a guarantee to start for Buffalo as soon as the salary of Dawkins or Williams becomes a liability for Buffalo.  I could see Beane trading either one of them for a second round pick and more in a year or two so Brown can start.

If their salaries are a liability for Buffalo and a less experienced guy is able to take their place with no drop off in talent means they're easy to replace so why wouldn't their salaries also be a liability for every other team?

I doubt they dump Dawkins regardless of salary.  Williams yes, but he'll be cut or if could find someone to take him it will be maybe for a 5th or 6th round pick, but most likely cut.  Dawkins could maybe get a 2nd, but again ,he's not going anywhere for awhile.

Player who are traded are either still on cheap contracts or superstar level.

It's amazing how everyone wants to trade their garbage, but expects other teams to pay top $$ for it.

16 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

Every year, I become a bigger fan of Beane's team building strategy

Free Agency is to plug immediate holes and find plug & play starters and high snap count rotation players

Draft is for development, depth, and future backfills

Obviously there are some exceptions, especially in the first round of the draft, but this is exactly how you build a sustainable, competitive roster.

Once you begin to "need" the draft to find multiple starters each year, it means that your current talent isn't performing or you're top-heavy vs the cap

I enjoy not being in that boat any longer

Exactly, and it also allows them to take the best player for the team, regardless of position. Plus, I don’t care how talented a rookie is, he’s gonna make more mistakes than the vets. That shows up in big games.

16 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

Every year, I become a bigger fan of Beane's team building strategy

Free Agency is to plug immediate holes and find plug & play starters and high snap count rotation players

Draft is for development, depth, and future backfills

Obviously there are some exceptions, especially in the first round of the draft, but this is exactly how you build a sustainable, competitive roster.

Once you begin to "need" the draft to find multiple starters each year, it means that your current talent isn't performing or you're top-heavy vs the cap

I enjoy not being in that boat any longer

Exactly, and it also allows them to take the best player for the team, regardless of position. Plus, I don’t care how talented a rookie is, he’s gonna make more mistakes than the vets. That shows up in big games.

22 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I hear a lot about how the Bills are building for the future, and that nobody from this year will start.  I agree with the first half of that.  However, I do believe that you'll see Rousseau and Basham on the field as part of the rotation.  They're super talented athletes that excelled playing college football.  They'll play.  They're about 10 years younger than Addison and Hughes.  I also thought that Epenesa had some pretty good plays last year, and expect them to find his correct weight and put him in quite a bit.  

I believe that Stevenson will be our kick returner.  However, in college he was a punt catcher like Chris Watson.  He had four punt catches for zero yards. 

I heard some dude on a podcast criticizing the Bills for taking Brown and Doyle because they played for smaller schools.  In the next breath he suggested they should have taken Meinerz.....from a Division III school....and he didn't play at all last year.  Look at their tape.  Doesn't matter where they played.  They knocked guys on their butt.  That's what good linemen do.  They are great athletes.

I wanted them to draft Wildgoose because 1) Love the name.  2)  Badgers fan.  

I also believe that the kid from Pitt will play a lot.

What do I know?  Not much more or less than anybody on this board.  Still a fan of Rondale Moore.  

I mean when you construct a solid roster like we have AND pick 30, this is what's supposed to happen. In the drought years 3-5of these guys would've been day 1 starters. If none of them HAVE to come in and start right away, mind as well take a higher ceiling player, while you have the time to develop them! This is a good sign

• Like (+1) 1

After thinking about the draft a couple of days, I see the Bean stragedy here.  He is going to have to play the 2 DE's and the OT next year to shed Hughes, Addison and Williams salaries.  Josh has got to be paid...as does Tremain.  And. Star will have to go also. I think.

Edited by bigK14094
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

I wouldn't be stunned - people like sexy names at the top of the draft and at premium positions.  I'm sure the fanbase got all fired up about our great draft when we traded up for Sammy Watkins.  Or how about when we picked CJ Spiller, Marshawn Lynch, and Willis McGahee?  Or when we won the offseason when we traded for Lesean McCoy?  

No thanks, I'll take this draft any day of the week

WE made out quite well with the Shady trade............................................................. 
I did get excited for that, the rest were MEH..

20 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i agree. The whole “he is raw” thing is going to be overblown. They specifically liked him because of his instincts of getting to the QB. I think that goes a long way to getting on the field and getting snaps. 

Defensive end on pass rushing does not require a lot of training.  "See the guy who gets the ball from the center?  He said you mommy was fat!"