TBD favorite Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah heart condition led to draft stock falling

17 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I learned about this from Michael Lombardi a few years ago when you see those couple of guys that you can’t believe are still on the board as each team gets something called a medical grade on a player and it’s up to each team and it’s medical staff to asses the risk in taking them. Fortunately the Bills medical staff and facilities are as good as anyone’s and was one of the big reasons Cole Beasley signed here 

So what is Epenesa's issue we don't know about then? 😀

33 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

So what is Epenesa's issue we don't know about then? 😀

You know about it if you saw him perform @ the combine last year! 😂 

once I saw him at the combine, I knew he would be a Bill 🤮

He looked like a different person last year though.  Can’t wait to see how he continues to develop.  While i wish we had one twitchy type DE, I think the 3 kids we have could hold down the fort properly over the next few years 

20 hours ago, Logic said:

Of course there was something like this.

When 1st round caliber prospect fall down draft boards, it's almost always due to either medical concerns or character concerns. This year, with the lack of medical information teams were receiving, there were bound to be a few of these types of falls.

Inevitably, when a team finally does draft them, its fans are certain that said team got the steal of the draft. Sometimes, that turns out to be the case. Rob Gronkowski slipped down draft boards due to back problems, and he had a Hall of Fame career Other times, the medical concerns follow a player into the pros. Leighton Vander Esch is a good example.

Hopefully JOK is not hindered by his condition and goes on to have a good career --  except for when the Browns play the Bills. Then I hope he comes down with a recurrent severe hangnail and rides the pine out of an abundance of caution.

In fairness, Gronk did have a great career, but he also missed a lot of time due to injury, including back problems that required multiple surgeries over his career. So the medical evaluations were pretty accurate, I'd say.

On 5/3/2021 at 7:20 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Didn’t Star have a heart condition, and he has had a pretty long NFL career? Hopefully the heart thing is not an issue for him. 

honest question - we see one of these every couple years and I don’t recall any young guys having a major career impact from it. Might teams be overrating the red flag or are there some retirements I’m not recalling?

For what it’s worth, I’ve heard that the timing of the info on his possible heart condition coming out was the issue for teams.  They didn’t get a chance to have medical evaluations by their own doctors like in typical years and didn’t have time to do much work on him when it came out.  Now he’s cleared. 

Well written Hondo.  A good example is Milano.  How many of these gurus picked that a 5th round pick would end up a high end LB in the league, or another schlep 5th rd pick would end up being the NFL’s leading WR in 2020 (Diggs of course).

I just trust Beane.  I’m guessing he hits on at least 65% of his draft which is according to Polian a top GM.