TBD favorite Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah heart condition led to draft stock falling

Of course there was something like this.

When 1st round caliber prospect fall down draft boards, it's almost always due to either medical concerns or character concerns. This year, with the lack of medical information teams were receiving, there were bound to be a few of these types of falls.

Inevitably, when a team finally does draft them, its fans are certain that said team got the steal of the draft. Sometimes, that turns out to be the case. Rob Gronkowski slipped down draft boards due to back problems, and he had a Hall of Fame career Other times, the medical concerns follow a player into the pros. Leighton Vander Esch is a good example.

Hopefully JOK is not hindered by his condition and goes on to have a good career --  except for when the Browns play the Bills. Then I hope he comes down with a recurrent severe hangnail and rides the pine out of an abundance of caution.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Kudos to the teams (seems like all 32) who did NOT leak this info to the press pre-draft.  JOK's personal medical business.

Or, cynically, since all 32 presumably knew, maybe there was no reason to put out the info in order to make JOK's stock drop artificially, so some team could have him fall in its lap.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

When 1st round caliber prospect fall down draft boards, it's almost always due to either medical concerns or character concerns. This year, with the lack of medical information teams were receiving, there were bound to be a few of these types of falls.

Inevitably, when a team finally does draft them, its fans are certain that said team got the steal of the draft. Sometimes, that turns out to be the case. Rob Gronkowski slipped down draft boards due to back problems, and he had a Hall of Fame career Other times, the medical concerns follow a player into the pros. Leighton Vander Esch is a good example.

Hopefully JOK is not hindered by his condition and goes on to have a good career --  except for when the Browns play the Bills. Then I hope he comes down with a recurrent severe hangnail and rides the pine out of an abundance of caution.

I learned about this from Michael Lombardi a few years ago when you see those couple of guys that you can’t believe are still on the board as each team gets something called a medical grade on a player and it’s up to each team and it’s medical staff to asses the risk in taking them. Fortunately the Bills medical staff and facilities are as good as anyone’s and was one of the big reasons Cole Beasley signed here 

Don't understand why the board was fascinated with this kid?  What position would he have played in Buffalo?  

As for heart conditions there are only two that are an issue.  One is Hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy(HOCM).  Think Hank Gathers.  That is what he had.  It can be easy and at times very difficult to diagnose as there are all kinds of presentations.  Any superior athlete can have hypertrophy of the heart from training but only a rare few have HOCM that can be lethal.  The other condition is a plain of cardiomyopathy(weak heart).  Generally this is easier to detect but not always an exact science.  

Most other conditions are not going to cause an issue.  Any true congenital defect would have been caught long ago.  

Still, I say, he is a player without a position in Buffalo, so I see why the Bills passed.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Wonder if this was the case with Moehrig, too.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Perhaps Bills doctors would not sign off. Feel bad for the kid .. hope he doesn’t have long term problems

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/03/report-jeremiah-owusu-koramoah-heart-condition-led-to-draft-stock-falling/

Hunh. Thanks for posting that, OP. Clears things up a bit. 

I wonder if we'd have taken him if healthy. Or if he'd even have reached us.

I'm in the minority but I've never understood this line of thinking, and I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong for mine.

If the kid can play who cares? Chances of a player getting to a second contract is a crap shoot anyways.

Montez Sweat was passed for this same reason, he's doing pretty well on the WFT. Maybe he doesn't play 12 years, these concerns would weigh heavier to me on second contracts not so much rookie deals.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Didn’t Star have a heart condition, and he has had a pretty long NFL career? Hopefully the heart thing is not an issue for him. 

It's not really helpful to try to compare two different people just using the vague term of "heart condition". It's like trying to relate "engine problem" without being the exact same make and model of car, knowing the exact part of the engine in question, the severity, etc.

agree with ethan in crazy town, unless he straight unsat milano (and how much of an upgrade could he possibly be in his first year?  might not even be better tbh) he'd play a few snaps as our like dime linebacker, which means we'd be a modified 4-2 in dime, and we are a straight 4-2 in base, so we'd have to take other starters off the pitch.

he's a good looking player, assuming he can do it i suppose he could be like the honey badger kid from lsu, but i think he's more of a close to the line guy, and would still be making a position change.

3 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

It's not really helpful to try to compare two different people just using the vague term of "heart condition". It's like trying to relate "engine problem" without being the exact same make and model of car, knowing the exact part of the engine in question, the severity, etc.

well, my intent wasn't to make an official diagnosis and comparison between the two since no one knows their conditions, but I get your point. 

15 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Hope he’s ok.  But this is why it’s an exercise in futility trying to hand out immediate draft grades.  Teams have access to so much more info than the internet experts.  

Agreed.  It's always fun when amateurs critique experts.  When I was overseas waiting to go to war, I could only laugh at some of the media assessments of the pros & cons of our strategy & tactics.  Very few military observers were at all astute.  Many were downright clueless.  

The average football fan has extremely limited knowledge of a draft class.  Even the media draft gurus can't come close.  A NFL club has a team of professional scouts, doctors, private detectives, analytic experts, as well as a wide network of external sources.   

Some draft gurus will be honest enough to tell you which games they watched.  In some cases, they only watched and graded three games of a particular player.  A NFL scouting department will watch all the games, talk to the coaches, talk to the player, and so on.   

My personal budget for researching college players: $0.  An NFL team spends millions.  

I appreciate that the NFL GM ranks have included guys like Matt Millen.  But second-guessing good GMs, like Beane, is a task for fools and fans.  

• Like (+1) 2