53 Man Roster: Way Too Early

I see us adding a veteran corner sometime before the regular season. Richard Sherman is plan b, they’re hoping a quality corner becomes available during training camp or via roster cut trim downs.

Tight end is obviously another position that could use to be upgraded. Here’s the thing, Dawson Knox is a guy who can be more than adequate if things click for him, so I don’t think we exactly need a guy like Zach Ertz, although I think he would be highly sought after by the Bills if the opportunity presented itself. Regardless, I think another veteran will be added here as well, even if it’s just an average joe to pair up with Dawson.

Bills could also use another 1T. Harrison Phillips is a guy whom they may think can provide some decent depth behind Star, but ultimately, that’s a wildcard. Could happen, may not, but if an obvious upgrade were to present itself here, the Bills will likely add depth and competition for training camp/preseason.

So basically I see the Bills eyeing trimmings from the rest of the NFL to provide depth at these positions. They don’t necessarily have to be starters, just competent players to add depth to the mix.

11 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

Solid attempt.  IIRC they've kept 4 TEs and 6 LBs since McD and Beane have been here.  Perhaps a change going forward. 

Would really like to see someone beat out T. Jones, at the gunner spot on STs, who brings more to the roster.  Bills roster is really deep.  Hate to lose a good 

Hamlin at gunner.

6 hours ago, warrior9 said:

I really hope we don't cut D. Johnson. Love what he does on special teams and he is actually a pretty solid player. He played at a small school and has still been learning the NFL game/speed. He plays with a high motor and it seems like this staff likes him a lot. 

My hope is that: One, both, or all three (the rookies and D Johnson) outperform Addison in camp. D Johnson can be on this roster for a while longer while Addison has 1 year left. 

Beane spoke highly of Johnson and seemed to indicate he was part of their plan for the future.

On 5/3/2021 at 4:57 PM, ngbills said:

From Buffalorumblings. Some interesting takes on the cuts. I always find it interesting when free agent signing are cut especially when they were hyped to be big contributors. Also the expectations around late draft picks, though this FO does favor its own guys. Some tough choices, though I still think our DB and LB are weak, plus not much at DT1 so would not be surprised to see some vet signings. 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/5/3/22417105/buffalo-bills-53-man-roster-projection-depth-chart-following-2021-nfl-draft

Cuts:

QB: Davis Webb

RB: Christian Wade, Antonio Williams

WR: Isaiah Hodgins, Tanner Gentry, Jake Kumerow, Brandon Powell, Duke Williams

TE: Nate Becker

OL: Bobby Hart, Forrest Lamp, Jordan Devey, Jamil Douglas, Jack Anderson (essentially all of our OL free agents)

DL: Bryan Cox Jr., Darryl Johnson, Mike Love, Efe Obada, Brandin Bryant, Harrison Phillips, Justin Zimmer (Obada had a brief stint as our best edge guy)

LB: Marquel Lee, Andre Smith

DB: Cam Lewis, Josh Thomas

Yeah, No.

13 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The Bills got it right by finally jettisoning Lee Smith.

I hope these end of the roster guys like Tawain Jones, Jake Fromm, Reggie Gilliam, Tommy Sweeney head out the door this season.

I don’t need guys like Joe Webb, Brad Smith, Joe Klopfenstein, Pat DiMarco anymore. 

Jones and Gilliam are here for special teams. Every team carries 4 or 5 guys at the bottom of the roster for special teams and Superbowl winners almost without exception have good special teams numbers. 

• Like (+1) 1

Here is my predictions

QB - Josh Allen and Mitch

RB - Moss, Singletary, Breida and Jones

FB - None 

TE - Knox, Hollister and Sweeney 

WR - Diggs, Beasley, Davis, Sanders, Mac and Stevens

Oline- Dawkins, Ford, Mitch, Mongo, D Williams, Ike, Bates, Brown, Lamp, and Doyle

Dline- Hughes, Addison, Aj, Obadah, Rousseau, Basham, Oliver, Lotulelei, Butler, and Phillips

LB - Milano, Edumonds, Klein, Matakevich and Andre Smith

CB- White, Wallace, T. Johnson, Jackson, Neal, and Wildgoose 

Safety-  Hyde, Poyer, J. Johnson, Hamlin

Special Teams - Bass, Haack and Ferguson

That’s my take on the roster.

My projected 53 man roster as of now:

QB- Allen, Trubisky, Fromm

RB- Moss, Singletary, Breida, Jones 

WR- Diggs, Sanders, Beasley, Davis, Mckenzie, Stevenson

TE- Knox, Hollister, Gilliam

OT- Dawson, Williams, Brown, Doyle 

OG- Feliciano, Ford, Boettger, Bates

C- Morse 

DE- Hughes, Rousseau, Basham, Epenesa, Obada

DT- Oliver, Star, Phillips, Butler, Zimmer

LB- Edmunds, Milano, Klein, Matakavich, Tyrell Adams.

CB- White, Wallace, Jackson, T. Johnson, Neal, Wildgoose

S- Poyer, Hyde, J. Johnson, Hamlin 

K- Bass

P- Haack

LS- Ferguson 

Camp battles to monitor

hodgins vs stevenson- I think Hodgins has a better chance to make it to our PS without being snatched.  I could see mckenzie and Stevenson being the real battle as they are similar and battling for the return job, but I have too much love for both those kids.  Hodgins to PS

Lamp vs Bates vs Anderson-  I think Lamp could win this battle and maybe even start, but I haven’t watched much of him since he was drafted, so who knows.  Anderson to the PS

T. Adams vs A. smith vs Dodson - Coin flip-  smith might have the advantage due to ST but I prefer adams because I think he’s the better backup LB

A. Williams vs singletary vs Wade- eager to see Williams and Wade in camp and preseason, but Motor is the heavy, heavy favorite.  Williams and possibly Wade to PS

Gilliam vs Sweeney-  coin flip goes to the better ST player- Sweeney to PS

Obada vs D. johnson vs Addison- I hope Addison will be cut post June 1 so it’ll be easier to find a spot with another team.  If he’s not, the DE battle will run deep. Bams ST play could earn him a spot or we could keep 6 DE’s and drop a DT.  

Doyle vs Hart?  Hart is terrible

Zimmer vs Phillips- do we keep the 1T or 3T?  I think Butler prefers 3T and Zimmer is the worst 1T ever, so if we keep 4 DTs and star doesn’t opt out/retire, I think we keep Phillips over Zimmer

I kept 5 DTs, but I don’t think we will when it comes time. I think there’s a good chance that Star opts out again (or gets hurt) then retires after the season.  I think the final roster spot could come down to either 6DEs/4DTs or 5 DEs/5DTs.  The battle along the DL and with the OG’s will be the most fierce in camp imo. 

I would hope that we sign a vet CB and 1T, but looking at our roster and cap situation, I think we may just stand pat other than some low tier FAs.  

Cutting Fromm is also a good possibility. Maybe move him to the PS and be #2 next year when Mitch walks.  Do you guys think we role with 2 or 3 QBs?  I I hope it’s 2 and go with Fromm or Webb on the PS, but ya never know.

Some good projections. Here is mine: Starters in Bold

Rookies Underlined

Offense (24)

OL (9): Dawkins, Williams, Feliciano, Lamp, Morse, Brown, Ford, Boettger, Bates

QB (2): Allen, Trubisky

RB (4): Moss, Singletary, Breida, Jones

WR (6): Diggs, Beasley, Sanders, Davis, McKenzie, Stevenson

TE (3): Knox, Hollister, Sweeney

Defense (26)

DE (6) Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Rousseau, Basham, Odaba

DT (5) Oliver, Lotuleilei, Butler, Phillips, Zimmer

LB (5): Milano, Edmunds, Klein, Matakavich, Dodson

CB (6): White, Wallace, Johnson, Jackson, Neal, Lewis

S (4): Poyer, Hyde, HamlinThompson

ST (3)

K (1): Bass

P (1): Haack

LS (1): Ferguson

KR: Stevenson/ McKenzie/ Breida

PR: McKenzie/ Stevenson/ Hyde

Potential PS/ IR (How many this year?)

OL: Doyle, Anderson

QB: Fromm

RB: Williams, Wade*

WR: Hodgins, Powell

DE: Johnson

DT: Bryant

LB: Lee

CB: Wildgoose, McCloud

S: Griffin

Edited by ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin

I think Kumerow makes the team. The fact that they went and brought him back after NO scooped him up tells me they definitely see something. He brings some size to the WR spot plus he plays special teams. I don't think the new kid, Stevenson, is a lock. He has to beat out McKenzie who has several years in this system and has evidently been working with Matt Haackaloogie to get better at punt returns. He's putting in all sorts of work to secure the kick/punt returner job as well as WR5. 

17 hours ago, NewEra said:

My projected 53 man roster as of now:

QB- Allen, Trubisky, Fromm

RB- Moss, Singletary, Breida, Jones 

WR- Diggs, Sanders, Beasley, Davis, Mckenzie, Stevenson

TE- Knox, Hollister, Gilliam

OT- Dawson, Williams, Brown, Doyle 

OG- Feliciano, Ford, Boettger, Bates

C- Morse 

DE- Hughes, Rousseau, Basham, Epenesa, Obada

DT- Oliver, Star, Phillips, Butler, Zimmer

LB- Edmunds, Milano, Klein, Matakavich, Tyrell Adams.

CB- White, Wallace, Jackson, T. Johnson, Neal, Wildgoose

S- Poyer, Hyde, J. Johnson, Hamlin 

K- Bass

P- Haack

LS- Ferguson 

Cut Fromm, add a 6th linebacker (either Dodson or Smith) and that is pretty close. I think maybe Zimmer out and Lamp in too. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

If Stevenson outperforms McKenzie as PR/KR, do you guys see any chance that he (McK) could be flipped for a late round pick?

Possible. To attract a pick bottom of the roster receivers need to have return value. If McKenzie has lost that job here I'm not sure how much attraction he will hold to others. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Cut Fromm, add a 6th linebacker (either Dodson or Smith) and that is pretty close. I think maybe Zimmer out and Lamp in too. 

Addison played his share of OLB last year,   I could see him being considered the 6th LB.

Not cutting Addison seemed like one of the worst decisions of the offseason but Beane sure goes out of his way to make it sound like he's not going anywhere despite adding a stud veteran athlete and 2 early round rookies to his position.

9 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I think Kumerow makes the team. The fact that they went and brought him back after NO scooped him up tells me they definitely see something. He brings some size to the WR spot plus he plays special teams. I don't think the new kid, Stevenson, is a lock. He has to beat out McKenzie who has several years in this system and has evidently been working with Matt Haackaloogie to get better at punt returns. He's putting in all sorts of work to secure the kick/punt returner job as well as WR5. 

McKenzie was an epic fumbler........that's why Denver cut him.........and even the great punt return TD he had versus Miami last year he bobbled.   Maybe a billion reps can clean that up but the ball just hits him hard.......he clearly doesn't track it well.........it's a battle for him.    

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

McKenzie was an epic fumbler........that's why Denver cut him.........and even the great punt return TD he had versus Miami last year he bobbled.   Maybe a billion reps can clean that up but the ball just hits him hard.......he clearly doesn't track it well.........it's a battle for him.    

I agree. I think McKenzie has the inside track because he is proven once the ball is in his hands, but tracking and fumbling have been issues. He has supposedly been working very hard on it and we do know Isaiah is a hard worker but I think Stevenson does have a shot. It is Stevenson's only route into the team IMO. I think McKenzie could make a spot without being the returner, although it would be much more vulnerable than if he was the primary return guy.