53 Man Roster: Way Too Early

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Why would Forrest Lamp get cut?   A quality OG who has started for the chargers and a high draft pick.   Bills were lucky to get him much like when they lucked into D. Williams.

The more time goes on the more I think Cody Ford gets traded.

I never really considered that, but Beane showed with Zay Jones he is willing to cut ties with a 2nd round pick. Do you think Ford would fetch better than a 5th round pick?

Thing is, I think this would require 2 of Feliciano/Boettger/Lamp/Anderson to show they are clearly the best options as starters above him. Even then, Beane might value keeping Ford as a cheap 3rd G. 

This is what i came up with. A little thin at TE, but Sweeney just missed a season and i don't see why i'd need to bring him back.  I could see them bringing in another vet there.  Kept jones unless a wildgoose or hamlin can replace him.  In which case that gives you a spot at TE or WR for a stevenson type.  

image.thumb.png.57cde6083960100d82167355491fea2c.png

55 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I never really considered that, but Beane showed with Zay Jones he is willing to cut ties with a 2nd round pick. Do you think Ford would fetch better than a 5th round pick?

Thing is, I think this would require 2 of Feliciano/Boettger/Lamp/Anderson to show they are clearly the best options as starters above him. Even then, Beane might value keeping Ford as a cheap 3rd G. 

It was a pretty deep tackle class and there are 2020 starting tackles still on the free agent market so I doubt Ford has much trade value as a mediocre guard with right tackle-only flex and coming off of injury.

But he'd only cost about $1M in base salary for an acquiring team, so there is that.    Forest Lamp was a former recent second round pick G and he didn't garner much interest in UFA.   

I suspect Ford will not be on the final roster......but maybe he comes in sharpened by the threat of losing his job and has a good TC/preseason.

More likely he gets dealt for a late conditional after another team has an injury though, IMO.  

Maybe Howie Roseman liked him in that 2019 draft and would take him for Ertz but I doubt he'd be enough.  

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, dneveu said:

This is what i came up with. A little thin at TE, but Sweeney just missed a season and i don't see why i'd need to bring him back.  I could see them bringing in another vet there.  Kept jones unless a wildgoose or hamlin can replace him.  In which case that gives you a spot at TE or WR for a stevenson type.  

I like it overall, but would be surprised if Stevenson doesn't make it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I like it overall, but would be surprised if Stevenson doesn't make it. 

Yeah, i could see jones being dropped for him.  Especially with the late round DBs that probably play special teams. If they do the PS call-ups again you can just carry a back on there all year and plug them in should you have injuries. 

Could also see a dlineman dropped for a free agent TE on this roster projection.  3 just seems like too few, even with 1 or 2 on the PS. 

If they add a corner then wildgoose may head to the PS as well.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Yeah, i could see jones being dropped for him.  Especially with the late round DBs that probably play special teams. If they do the PS call-ups again you can just carry a back on there all year and plug them in should you have injuries. 

Could also see a dlineman dropped for a free agent TE on this roster projection.  3 just seems like too few, even with 1 or 2 on the PS. 

If they add a corner then wildgoose may head to the PS as well.  

I wish I had a better grasp on where our core special teamers stand with McBeane. It would make some of those final roster decision projections a little easier/clearer. 

Definitely agree that we'll continue to add pieces. I would be surprised if we did not sign at least a TE3, someone to compete at DT (1T), and a veteran like Davis/Norman (but really hopefully not at all like Davis) at CB. 

29 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Solid attempt.  IIRC they've kept 4 TEs and 6 LBs since McD and Beane have been here.  Perhaps a change going forward. 

Would really like to see someone beat out T. Jones, at the gunner spot on STs, who brings more to the roster.  Bills roster is really deep.  Hate to lose a good player.

I think they are one light on the defensive line and offensive line and one heavy and corner (we have only kept 5 the last two years) and tight end (why keep 4 tight ends when we barely have 1 good one). 

I'd guess Harrison Phillips and Forrest Lamp make it and Wildgoose and Tommy Sweeney don't (but I expect Buffalo to try and sneak both on the PS). Beane basically told us they saw their 6th and 7th rounders as a way to make up for the fact that it is a hard place to get UDFA to come so none of them are guaranteed a place on the roster. Hamlin has the easiest route given our safety depth (or lack thereof) and Stevenson has a shot if he can win the return job... but there is absolutely a world where Stevenson, Wildgoose, Hamlin and Anderson are all cut and intended for the PS so long as they clear waivers. 

EDIT: also do NOT think Jake Fromm is safe. If they think they can get one of Webb and Fromm on the PS then I expect they roll with two quarterbacks. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Solid attempt.  IIRC they've kept 4 TEs and 6 LBs since McD and Beane have been here.  Perhaps a change going forward. 

Would really like to see someone beat out T. Jones, at the gunner spot on STs, who brings more to the roster.  Bills roster is really deep.  Hate to lose a good player.

At tight end I didn't carry 4 because of PS and Gilliam playing teams. At lb I could see keeping smith and dropping a corner to PS. Depends how much they like Obada, and whether 9 is enough on the line with position flex.

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dneveu said:

At tight end I didn't carry 4 because of PS and Gilliam playing teams. At lb I could see keeping smith and dropping a corner to PS. Depends how much they like Obada, and whether 9 is enough on the line with position flex.

Are the PS rules from last year still in effect?  Protecting 4 on PS each week would help the Bills.

I really hope we don't cut D. Johnson. Love what he does on special teams and he is actually a pretty solid player. He played at a small school and has still been learning the NFL game/speed. He plays with a high motor and it seems like this staff likes him a lot. 

My hope is that: One, both, or all three (the rookies and D Johnson) outperform Addison in camp. D Johnson can be on this roster for a while longer while Addison has 1 year left. 

7 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I am going to say I am still a fan of Ford....I think he has been treated a little unfairly between being played out of position.....then moved to RG....then LG........then injured.

If he were to be traded....I would hope we could get better then a 5th.

What I will say is I have watched Lamp play......the chargers are down in my neck of the woods.....he was highly drafted and is highly talented.....somewhat of a D. Williams situation.

I dont think our OG situation is nearly in as bad of shape as it was made out to be.....they just havent played together.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills got it right by finally jettisoning Lee Smith.

I hope these end of the roster guys like Tawain Jones, Jake Fromm, Reggie Gilliam, Tommy Sweeney head out the door this season.

I don’t need guys like Joe Webb, Brad Smith, Joe Klopfenstein, Pat DiMarco anymore. 

12 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The Bills got it right by finally jettisoning Lee Smith.

I hope these end of the roster guys like Tawain Jones, Jake Fromm, Reggie Gilliam, Tommy Sweeney head out the door this season.

I don’t need guys like Joe Webb, Brad Smith, Joe Klopfenstein, Pat DiMarco anymore. 

I think you’re being a little harsh on Tommy Sweeney the kids look good in his initial year and then had the medical

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I think you’re being a little harsh on Tommy Sweeney the kids look good in his initial year and then had the medical

I’m not so much picking on him specifically, as I am saying that I don’t think the Bills need these end of the roster guys for the locker room, or because they offer position versatility.

I mention Tommy Sweeney because that’s a position the Bills haven’t invested much in, and so the guys we do have need to produce. It can’t be another red-shirt year for him. 

Like Jason Croom finally being shown the door, can you play or not? Otherwise we can’t carry you on the roster anymore.

For sure I’m keep Harrison Phillips over a guy like Tawain Jones.