53 Man Roster: Way Too Early

11 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Look up Hollister's Special Teams snaps and tackles.  More than Gilliam.  Got to find those guys that can produce on both teams.

I'm hoping a depth player steps up to take Jones's gunner spot.

Those 2 extra roster spots would be great!

Thanks for the info sir!

To your point I hope someone steps up and one or both of those guys don't make it.

Can dress Breida potentially if that's the case as a change of pace back.

Just now, BillsFan130 said:

Thanks for the info sir!

To your point I hope someone steps up and one or both of those guys don't make it.

Can dress Breida potentially if that's the case as a change of pace back.

yes

• Like (+1) 1

I think they keep Obada over Addison. Also, I’m pretty sure we can free up some coin if we cut Addison. Boogie and Rousseau need those reps anyhow. Keep Hughes around as the veteran guy in the locker room. Hopefully by the end of the year Hughes is just a rotational guy and not a starter and he can provide a boost in key moments.

Phillips vs Butler vs Zimmer should be a heck of a dog fight. Butler is likely the most talented, but if there is very little drop off between Harry and Zimmer, releasing Butler can free up money for maybe a guy like Zach Ertz or if a good corner shakes free during TC/preseason cuts.

So I guess, in closing, there’s two guys who can free up a substantial amount of money if released and that’s Butler and Addison. You could add Jerry Hughes to that list but he is highly respected within the organization and he could not only be a great mentor to Rousseau and Boogie but a really darn good rotational guy by the end of the year. 

If at all possible I hope Daryl Johnson and Justin Zimmer go straight to the PS. These two guys are great depth if someone goes down. Like both of them as developmental guys.

As far as the rest of the roster, especially at TE and CB, I don’t think we’re done here. I expect at least 1 or 2 more additions here. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

How great would that be?  I’m really pulling for the guy.  His handful of carries vs backups are thoroughly impressive.  After practicing with nfl coaches and player for 2 years, I would have to assume that he’s improved in every aspect of being an nfl Rb by a good amount.  Enough to make an nfl team?  Idk, but I’d love to see it happen

The thing I can't get is how Wade isn't a good punt return prospect.  Watch his rugby highlights the dude has incredible quickness and strength, strong hands and seems like he can make the first guy miss, protect the ball and get upfield.   If he isn't at least competing for the job in camp that must mean they've already determined he's not good enough for the job I guess.

I'm hoping it's just that we've had an all-pro returner on our team since he's been here and it didn't make sense to have anyone else out there, but that he can get his chance this year.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

My guess if somehow Beane makes no more moves:

Allen, Trubisky

Singletary, Moss, Breida 

Gilliam 

Knox, Hollister, Sweeney

Diggs, Sanders, Beasley, Davis, McKenzie, Hodgins, Stevens

Dawkins, Ford, Morse, Feliciano, Williams, Brown, Boettger, Anderson, Lamp

Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Obada, Rousseau, Basham

Oliver, Lotulelei, Butler, Phillips 

Edmunds, Milano, Klein, Matakevich, Adams 

White, Wallace, T. Johnson, Jackson, Neal, Wildgoose 

Hyde, Poyer, J. Johnson, Hamlin

Bass

Haack 

Ferguson

That makes perfect sense, except I get the feeling Sweeney may get beat out in camp by another player we haven't signed yet. 

33 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Allen, Trubisky

Singletary, Moss, Breida 

Gilliam 

Knox, Hollister, Sweeney

Bass

Haack 

Ferguson

I think you nailed it, except for one thing: I don't see a fifth rounder like Tommy Doyle not making the roster. I think he makes the roster over either Lamp or Anderson. Beane mentioned maybe cross training him at tackle and guard. I think they'd like their chances of getting Anderson through to the practice squad better than a 5th round pick with upside like Doyle.

Other than that, it looks exactly right to me.

35 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Allen, Trubisky

Singletary, Moss, Breida 

Gilliam 

Knox, Hollister, Sweeney

Bass

Haack 

Ferguson

Looks about right to me. 2 changes I’d like to see Tommy Doyle come in and impress and cut Lamp and replace him with Doyle. Also it will hurt to see Daryl Johnson get cut but the only way see him on the roster is if we trade or cut Addison....

No!! Not Duke Williams!!!!

5 minutes ago, wppete said:

Looks about right to me. 2 changes I’d like to see Tommy Doyle come in and impress and cut Lamp and replace him with Doyle. Also it will hurt to see Daryl Johnson get cut but the only way see him on the roster is if we trade or cut Addison....

It's awesome that people who would have been starters on the Bad Bills are now on the cut line. McBeane have really been building a depth monster.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

From Buffalorumblings. Some interesting takes on the cuts. I always find it interesting when free agent signing are cut especially when they were hyped to be big contributors. Also the expectations around late draft picks, though this FO does favor its own guys. Some tough choices, though I still think our DB and LB are weak, plus not much at DT1 so would not be surprised to see some vet signings. 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/5/3/22417105/buffalo-bills-53-man-roster-projection-depth-chart-following-2021-nfl-draft

Cuts:

QB: Davis Webb

RB: Christian Wade, Antonio Williams

WR: Isaiah Hodgins, Tanner Gentry, Jake Kumerow, Brandon Powell, Duke Williams

TE: Nate Becker

OL: Bobby Hart, Forrest Lamp, Jordan Devey, Jamil Douglas, Jack Anderson (essentially all of our OL free agents)

DL: Bryan Cox Jr., Darryl Johnson, Mike Love, Efe Obada, Brandin Bryant, Harrison Phillips, Justin Zimmer (Obada had a brief stint as our best edge guy)

LB: Marquel Lee, Andre Smith

DB: Cam Lewis, Josh Thomas

Forrest Lamp will be starting IF he can stay healthy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Some tough cuts will need to be made for sure. I know that McDermott is big on ST and has his guys he wants to keep. I think ST are important too. But... rules changes have reduced the importance of ST players. Tyler Bass makes KO team less important because of touchbacks. We don’t punt much, and our new punter is a hang time/ no return kind of kicker. We don’t need just special teams guys like Taiwan, Matakevich, etc. 

28 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

That makes perfect sense, except I get the feeling Sweeney may get beat out in camp by another player we haven't signed yet. 

Or that UDFA from Bowling Green. But more likely what you said. 

23 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think you nailed it, except for one thing: I don't see a fifth rounder like Tommy Doyle not making the roster. I think he makes the roster over either Lamp or Anderson. Beane mentioned maybe cross training him at tackle and guard. I think they'd like their chances of getting Anderson through to the practice squad better than a 5th round pick with upside like Doyle.

Other than that, it looks exactly right to me.

Oh dang haha that was just an oversight. Tough to release anyone, but gonna edit accordingly - thank you!

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, wppete said:

Thanks - added Doyle and dropped Adams.

Unfortunately Johnson I see on PS (if eligible) or traded/cut. 

• Like (+1) 1

My projected 53 man roster 

OFFENSE & SPECIAL TEAMS

1. Josh Allen
2. Mitch Trubisky 
3. Devin Singletary 
4. Zach Moss
5. Matt Breida
6. Stefon Diggs
7. Cole Beasley
8. Gabriel Davis
9. Isaiah McKenzie
10. Emmanuel Sanders 
11. Dawson Knox
12. Tommy Sweeney
13. Jacob Hollister
14. Dion Dawkins
15. Cody Ford
16. Mitch Morse
17. Jon Feliciano
18. Daryl Williams 
19. Ike Boettger 
20. Ryan Bates
21. Tommy Doyle 
22. Spencer Brown 
23. Matt Haack 
24. Tyler Bass 
25. Reid Ferguson 
26. Taiwan Jones 
27. Marquez Stevenson 

DEFENSE & SPECIAL TEAMS 

28. Jerry Hughes
29. A.J. Epenesa
30. Efe Obada 
31. Gregory Rousseau 
32. Carlos Basham 
33. Star Lotuleilei 
34. Harrison Phillips
35. Ed Oliver 
36. Justin Zimmer
37. Vernon Butler 
38. Tremaine Edmunds
39. Matt Milano
40. Tyrel Dodson
41. AJ Klein 
42. Tre’Davious White 
43. Levi Wallace 
44. Dane Jackson 
45. Taron Johnson 
46. Siran Neal 
47. Sign Free Agent Veteran Cornerback
48. Micah Hyde
49. Jaquan Johnson 
50. Jordan Poyer 
51. Damar Hamlin 
52. Tyrell Adams 
53. Tyler Matakevich

PRACTICE SQUAD

OG Jack Anderson 
TE Quintin Morris 
S Tariq Thompson 
CB Rachad Wildgoose 

CB Olaijah Griffin 
QB Jake Fromm 

*There’s a logjam along the OL and DL and we can’t keep everyone. Brandon Beane has a knack for trading before the start of the regular season.

I predict Brandon Beane’s trade candidates to be Forrest Lamp, Ryan Bates, Cody Ford, Harrison Phillips, and Justin Zimmer. 

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Couple of tough decisions coming up this year.. some good guys full of the process will be struggling to hold onto their spots...

Way too early for me to be making any predictions though...

some of these guys could get traded for 6th or 7th round picks

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Fred Slacks said:

Fromm gets cut.  With Trubinsky as back up we go with just 2.  They are keeping Harrison Phillips.  He was. a 3rd round pick and is finally healthy.  Played his best ball the end of last season.  Wouldn't be shocked if Taiwan Jones doesn't make it if we can field someone else as a gunner opposite of Siran Neal.  Maybe Kumerow pulls that off?   Or another DB.  If it's a DB that is already expected to make the cut then they could carry another O-lineman like Lamp.

I agree.

Taking up a roster spot for nothing. 

Do you really have to keep (4) Tight Ends? 

Why would you keep Fromm?

Phillips should make the DLine rotation.

is Tawain Jones time almost up?

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1

I think what is going to happen with a couple of these rookies, Brown or Doyle, Anderson, maybe even Rousseau will get "hurt" around the end of August and end up on IR so more vet backups make final roster like Lamp, Hart, Obada, etc. 

Beane may even decide to hire Troy Vincent to the staff to help out in this regard!

4 hours ago, ngbills said:

From Buffalorumblings. Some interesting takes on the cuts. I always find it interesting when free agent signing are cut especially when they were hyped to be big contributors. Also the expectations around late draft picks, though this FO does favor its own guys. Some tough choices, though I still think our DB and LB are weak, plus not much at DT1 so would not be surprised to see some vet signings. 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/5/3/22417105/buffalo-bills-53-man-roster-projection-depth-chart-following-2021-nfl-draft

Cuts:

QB: Davis Webb

RB: Christian Wade, Antonio Williams

WR: Isaiah Hodgins, Tanner Gentry, Jake Kumerow, Brandon Powell, Duke Williams

TE: Nate Becker

OL: Bobby Hart, Forrest Lamp, Jordan Devey, Jamil Douglas, Jack Anderson (essentially all of our OL free agents)

DL: Bryan Cox Jr., Darryl Johnson, Mike Love, Efe Obada, Brandin Bryant, Harrison Phillips, Justin Zimmer (Obada had a brief stint as our best edge guy)

LB: Marquel Lee, Andre Smith

DB: Cam Lewis, Josh Thomas

First, great find and thanks for sharing!

My analysis of some of this.  It seems off:  

1.  If Harrison Phillips is cut we have huge issues and no real 1T other than hoping opt-out Star will work.  

2. This also assumes all the drafted players make it on OL, and no FA OL like Lamp make it.  I see Lamp as a starting or backup Guard.  

3.  Hodges will mot be cut.  By some reporting he was better than Gabe lass preseason prior to the injury.  

4 hours ago, ngbills said:

They are likely on phone looking for a taker for Addison. Not sure there will be a taker though. 

there was one for Lee Smith!

I don’t understand Tommy Sweeney get projected to the roster so much. He played in 6 games 2 years ago and has a heart condition.  I think all the rookies have more upside over him at this point in his career. 

Agree with other posters that keeping Taiwan jones off this roster would be great. Hoping damar can do that job. his open field tackles in college were nice. 

• Disagree 1