No CB in Draft? — No Problem or No, Problem?

Anyone who has been on this site since the 1990s has to remember the times when it seemed every other Bills draft pick was a DB. The sainted Bill from NYC never failed to complain about that, and argued winning teams build from the lines. The consensus on here was the fixation on DBs was a big reason for the team's struggles. 

Fast forward a couple of decades and there is hand-wringing about the failure to draft a legit Cornerback high enough.

Is this a problem? I have no idea. But I hope I'm not the only one who has enjoyed the historical ironies.

Go Bills!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If we sign a veteran it's no problem. As while I like what Dane didn't in his limited playing time I'd feel better with a vet in the mix even if meant bringing Norman back. I also thought Blidi Wreh-Wilson be a solid add as plays inside/outside and ST.

Edited by The Jokeman

McDermott clearly values the #2 CB spot way less than we do on here. 

I still think we being in a vet. Sherman is a clear fit for this defense. 

But wouldn't be surprised at all to see us go with what we have. 

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

If we sign a veteran it's no problem. As while I like what Dane didn't in his limited playing time I'd feel better with a vet in the mix even if meant bringing Norman back. I also thought Blidi Wreh-Wilson be a solid add as plays inside/outside and ST.

ANYbody but Norman......please!

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

If Norman's not making $6 million a season he a solid add. I don't see an interest in Sherman though as can't see fitting in our culture.

I agree on Sherman....not a culture fit plus he has lost a step or two, precisely my issue with Norman also.  The young wideouts aren't getting slower!!!  I am hoping that with the return of Star, the return to health of Edmunds and Milano that our CB issues will be somewhat minimized.  Also Dane Jackson looks like he could be the real deal......lotta hoping I know.  But I just don't see Covid Norman and Slow Sherman as the answers at all....

Edited by Kwai San

13 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

If Norman's not making $6 million a season he a solid add. I don't see an interest in Sherman though as can't see fitting in our culture.

I think I missed something, what did Sherman do to indicate he's a bad culture fit?

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

I'm very confident that Beane will find one or two veteran free agent finds this summer in the low-to-mid $ range to help address the depth gap.  

Not a worry right now, but I think they'll know more after they see what they have in mini-camp, i.e. if the rookies can play this year

3 seconds seems to be a key number. If a QB holds the ball longer than 3 seconds, the chance for a negative play increases. QB rhythms and WR routes are designed to be completed in under 3 seconds.

How do you get the QB to hold onto the ball a split second longer? Coverage. If your secondary can get the opposing QB to hold onto the ball half a second longer, our front 7 has a better chance at getting a sack or causing a negative play by the offense.

Having a good CB2 will also help our safeties since they wouldn't have to worry about drifting coverage that way.

Beane and McDermott don't seem to see things this way. They make the decisions. So we'll see how this season goes. I will support them and the team even though I happen to disagree here.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

Two things.  I still think Jackson is going to be a good CB.  Also improving the pass rush will make the CBs all that much better.  

This right here. 

I'm convinced the staff is extremely high on Dane Jackson.  He looked great in limited time last year. I think he's the favorite for CB2 heading into camp and I love that we re signed Levi.

An UDFA rookie,  cheap option that can hold his own .

Wildgoose is an intriguing prospect as well

Levi Wallace is much better than he is given credit for.  Each year competition is brought in and each year he ends up being the starter.  I don't think skipping cb was done on purpose but was more due to following their board.  I echo the idea that Dane Jackson looks like a player. 

As I have said elsewhere McD is amazing with late round cbs.  Josh Norman was incredible with him (5th rounder), Bene Benwikere and Tre Boston were serviceable as 4th and 5th rounders, Siran Neal and Taron Johnson are also 4th and 5th rounders.

Further there are still a ton of veteran options available.  I vote no problem.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

How is Sherman not a culture fit?  He’s never been accused of not working hard or being prepared to play.