No CB in Draft? — No Problem or No, Problem?

1 hour ago, Boxcar said:

I think I missed something, what did Sherman do to indicate he's a bad culture fit?

Why is Sherman a bad cultural fit? Any time a guy turns himself into a WWII era tank, that's a bad fit. Sets a bad example. 

Sherman tank.gif

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

If Norman's not making $6 million a season he a solid add. I don't see an interest in Sherman though as can't see fitting in our culture.

I certainly don’t know if he’s a fit or not. 

Curious why you think he’d be an issue.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

Fast forward a couple of decades and there is hand-wringing about the failure to draft a legit Cornerback high enough.

Is this a problem?

Any time you try to catch a CB in the draft, you can often be led on a Wildgoose chase. :o

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

Why is Sherman a bad cultural fit? Any time a guy turns himself into a WWII era tank, that's a bad fit. Sets a bad example. 

Sherman tank.gif

While your answer is cute, I don't think it's the actual reason. From everything I've seen, Sherman seems like a pretty good dude, and he's probably one of the smartest corners ever. 

I don't see CB as a problem. I like the young guys we have in Dane Jackson and Cam Lewis. Wildgoose looks like he fits the mold on defense. Levi will be used more in rotation imo, as I think Dane will be the starter, and serve as solid depth. Johnson isn't bad in the slot. The main thing is getting pressure on the QB. You get pressure on the QB and it makes ALL of your DB's look better. I expect Epenesa to take a step forward with a full offseason in the strength and conditioning program as well as being involved in workouts. I hope Rousseau comes in and gets to work. I have REALLY high expectations for Basham. If Rousseau turns out to be a hit then this front is going to be scary. Addison is more here for being the solid vet depth at this point. But if Hughes, Epenesa, Rousseau, and Basham are constantly being rotated with all of them getting after it? Whew. Our DB's are gonna be out there making all kinds of plays because the opposing team's QB will be under constant duress. 

3 hours ago, Boxcar said:

I think I missed something, what did Sherman do to indicate he's a bad culture fit?

I’ll take a stab at this as no one else has yet.  Richard Sherman is extremely outspoken on a variety of issues in the league and in life.  I think it’s a turn off for some that he comments so much on everything and draws unnecessary attention to himself.  Most importantly, he almost killed Dan Carpenter!  

• Agree 1

Think they may be good with what they got. Pass rush improves then so does the CB's. Unless they add after cuts.

4 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

Two things.  I still think Jackson is going to be a good CB.  Also improving the pass rush will make the CBs all that much better.  

This. Yes looking forward to seeing more of him. Impressive rookie past season. 

4 hours ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

Anyone who has been on this site since the 1990s has to remember the times when it seemed every other Bills draft pick was a DB. The sainted Bill from NYC never failed to complain about that, and argued winning teams build from the lines. The consensus on here was the fixation on DBs was a big reason for the team's struggles. 

Fast forward a couple of decades and there is hand-wringing about the failure to draft a legit Cornerback high enough.

Is this a problem? I have no idea. But I hope I'm not the only one who has enjoyed the historical ironies.

Go Bills!

Times have changed. We were drafting all of these DBs even before the rule changes made the NFL primarily a passing league. Now, corners are of more value and better athletes are playing this position. I readily acknowledge this. That said, the success of the Buffalo Bills Franchise hinges on Josh Allen. This would seem to be beyond dispute. We need to protect him and give him weapons.

We drafted 3 blockers this year and it was a smart move imo. Other than Dawkins, how many of our blockers deserve big contracts?  Some will need to be replaced (at some point) and the guys we drafted will not cost much. If any of them are good, they are a "steal" of sorts. Also fwiw, imo this was a draft that was loaded with blockers. In a normal draft all 3 would have been selected sooner. 

As for our first pick, have you watched him on you tube? The kid has the perfect build (long, strong arms) to be a pass rusher, and he is fast. People on this board who are Miami Fans love this pick, therefore so do I.

One last point if I may.....Levi Wallace is a good player. Calvin Ridley practiced against him and said that he was a solid corner. Tre might be the best corner in the NFL. If not, he is top 5 and they are both young. Our secondary doesn't seem to be much of a problem so I am not so worried.

As always, jmo.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

No problem.  I'd like some more depth there, but it will come from free agency or guys they've already signed.   

It would be nice to have a stud on the other side, but few teams do.  What the Bills have is serviceable. 

I’m in the Steve Nelson camp. Sherman loves our culture & team I’ve seen a couple of times of him speaking glowingly about the Bills. He’d run here to play in Buffalo. He’s smart & experienced but not sure he has the physical abilities anymore. A 4 or 5 million 1 year deal for Sherman would be fine by me.

I think they're gonna roll with what worked last year and see if it truly is a position that needs to be upgraded. They love Dane and Levi has proved to be serviceable so why invest a high pick if you have faith in Dane taking a big step. If he doesn't then next year they'll know for sure and draft accordingly

5 hours ago, AmishRifle said:

I’ll take a stab at this as no one else has yet.  Richard Sherman is extremely outspoken on a variety of issues in the league and in life.  I think it’s a turn off for some that he comments so much on everything and draws unnecessary attention to himself.  Most importantly, he almost killed Dan Carpenter!  

You mean like Diggs when he was a Viking?

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, AmishRifle said:

I think it's a bit more than that, personally.

I think he was a bit of a locker room problem for Carroll later in his stay in Seattle. He seemed to think that he and the defensive corps had the right to do anything, including directly and publicly criticize and obstruct Carroll and Russell Wilson. He went on publicly about how Carroll was treating Wilson differently, how Carroll should have given the ball to Marshawn, and so on. And he crystallized a lot of the D guys together into almost an anti-Carroll block.

Of course your starting elite QB is going to be treated a bit differently. That's why they have red jerseys. Those guys, top franchise QBs are absolutely different. Sherman didn't get that.

While the salary cap also had a lot to do with the breakup of that team, the obstruction Carroll experienced from that D also had a part in it. 

Having said that, since then he's been no problem. Looks to me like he grew up after that. You can disagree with your coach, but you keep it in-house, you talk privately with him, and you understand that he outranks you. From what I can tell, he's learned that lesson. 

But there was a while when he appeared to be directly causing locker room problems.

At this point in his career, I wouldn't mind him at all. But he won't be a vet min type guy and I'm not sure it would be enough of an upgrade for them to bring him in. If they think so, I'll yield to their expertise.

What they've got appears to be a solid group. And I'd fully expect them to bring in a couple more guys for competition.  IMO,  no problem.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

I would have liked to see Buffalo pick up a solid starting caliber CB in the draft, but the sky is not falling.  With more pressure from the defensive line, Levi Wallace's lack of strength and premier athleticism becomes less of a liability.  He is an excellent technician and does pretty well with what he has.  Dane Jackson's upside is promising.  He's feisty and has a little more to offer athletically.  The UDFA's Buffalo signed also have potential to be more than the typical UDFA scrubs.  Nick McCloud is a physical corner with sub 4.4 speed and Olaijah Griffin reportedly has outstanding ball skills and instincts.  The negative on Griffin has some of the same drawbacks as Wallace.  He's underweight and not that fast.  In addition, he's had something of an injury history.  Still, he's on Gil Brandt's short list of top UDFA candidates.