Falcons declining fifth-year option on TE Hayden Hurst

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

Again, same stats as Hurst on a per-target basis.  And Knox isn't going into his 4th season like Hurst and looking for a huge payday.

Beane likes a guy in the last year of his rookie deal. Lots of effort with a low cap hit.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Beane likes a guy in the last year of his rookie deal. Lots of effort with a low cap hit.

A fair point.  But I'm not trading Knox for the same type of player, when Knox hasn't even played more than 2 years.

21 hours ago, HOUSE said:

image.png.58e93934367d2b8847d36e7393500ad8.png

The Atlanta Falcons added a game-breaking tight end in Kyle Pitts with the No. 4 overall pick over the weekend. Incumbent TE Hayden Hurst will become a free agent next offseason.

The Falcons aren't picking up the fifth-year option on Hurst, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source informed of the decision.

ESPN first reported the news.

Hurst is set to make $1.984 million in 2021. He'll be a free agent come 2022 if he plays out the final year in Atlanta without an extension. The Falcons could also look to trade the tight end in the coming months after adding Pitts and blocking TE Lee Smith this offseason.

https://www.nfl.com/news/falcons-declining-fifth-year-option-on-te-hayden-hurst

This article insinuates that Lee Smith is an upgrade over Hurst. 

Are we sure we want him here? 

Edited by DJB

He was brought in as the replacement for Autin Hoopert who chased money to Cleavland last year. Typical stats with julio and Ridley on the outside. He is decent and still has up side. Worth a 3rd or 4th in my opinion but what do I know

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I just wanted to pop in so I can say I got into the Hayden Hurst thread at the ground floor. 

Zack Ertz

Hayden Hurst

Last to first

We didn’t start the fire

I still remember the TD Hurst scored against us as a Raven! That one hurt!

34 minutes ago, Builder Bill said:

He was brought in as the replacement for Autin Hoopert who chased money to Cleavland last year. Typical stats with julio and Ridley on the outside. He is decent and still has up side. Worth a 3rd or 4th in my opinion but what do I know

1,000,000% 

Hurst isn't a superstar, but he's a good blocker, a great athlete and a good-enough route runner. Anyone who doesn't want him -- given our current TE situation -- is either Dawson Knox or talking out of their backside. He'd definitely be an upgrade to our situation if we got him affordably enough...

I don't know how well he blocks but if he is a good blocker I know he is a better athlete than Lee Smith therefore we can roll 2 TE lineups where they will have to respect our ability to throw. I trust Beane so if we trade I bet it works out 

5 hours ago, Builder Bill said:

A guy of this 'meh' caliber on his last year of a contract is not worth a 3rd or 4th, closer to a 6th or 7th.

Edited by MrSarcasm

On 5/3/2021 at 11:55 AM, HOUSE said:

image.png.58e93934367d2b8847d36e7393500ad8.png

The Atlanta Falcons added a game-breaking tight end in Kyle Pitts with the No. 4 overall pick over the weekend. Incumbent TE Hayden Hurst will become a free agent next offseason.

The Falcons aren't picking up the fifth-year option on Hurst, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source informed of the decision.

ESPN first reported the news.

Hurst is set to make $1.984 million in 2021. He'll be a free agent come 2022 if he plays out the final year in Atlanta without an extension. The Falcons could also look to trade the tight end in the coming months after adding Pitts and blocking TE Lee Smith this offseason.

https://www.nfl.com/news/falcons-declining-fifth-year-option-on-te-hayden-hurst

There can actually be gains to a BUF - ATL trade for both teams. Clearly Atlanta does not value Hurst enough to guarantee 5 mill for next season.  Despite being desperate for Defensive Line help, they did not draft a defensive lineman in the early rounds. And Hurst is not going to see as many snaps in ATL since one does not draft a TE at #4 (Pitts) and keep him off the field.

We of course have a surplus at DE - there is no way we find playing time / roster spots for every one of Hughes, Epenesa, Rousseau, Basham, Johnson, & Addison.

Why not trade Addison & Sweeney for Hurst? There can be some lower round sweeteners added  but an Addison-Hurst swap will actually be a perfect trade for both teams.