Falcons declining fifth-year option on TE Hayden Hurst

image.png.58e93934367d2b8847d36e7393500ad8.png

The Atlanta Falcons added a game-breaking tight end in Kyle Pitts with the No. 4 overall pick over the weekend. Incumbent TE Hayden Hurst will become a free agent next offseason.

The Falcons aren't picking up the fifth-year option on Hurst, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source informed of the decision.

ESPN first reported the news.

Hurst is set to make $1.984 million in 2021. He'll be a free agent come 2022 if he plays out the final year in Atlanta without an extension. The Falcons could also look to trade the tight end in the coming months after adding Pitts and blocking TE Lee Smith this offseason.

https://www.nfl.com/news/falcons-declining-fifth-year-option-on-te-hayden-hurst

Edited by HOUSE
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Now that we've exercised the 5th year option on Edmunds, we could always tag Hurst next year if we need more time to re-sign him.

A 2nd is a bit high for what could possibly be a 1-year rental, but I dont want to throw any long term money at him until we see him perform in our offense.

But I also wouldnt hate it if we made the trade and immediately inked him to a 3 year deal.

6 minutes ago, Process said:

What am I missing here? Why would we trade anything for this guy?

Cause that one time he scored a TD in the Ralph when no one covered him? He did look fast on that play. 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

No higher than 4 for me

I have no idea what his value is, and threw that out to get the discussion going. 4th or lower sounds better than a 2nd to me! 👍

My entire thought process was "Well, he's probably better than Freiermuth"

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

I would offer a conditional 4th that can escalate to a 3rd based on Hursts performance. I like pairing him up with Knox and the team has the transition tag if they want to resign him. Got to push in for a "win now" move and this is a fairly affordable way to add another piece to the team. 

• Like (+1) 4

Remember that Hurst tried baseball before he came back to football. He is still raw and will be 28 years old going into the season. Still upside there, and he's a good player, but I'd still roll with a raw 24 years old Knox. 

Not to mention, I think Jacob Hollister can do all of the same things Hurst can. Is younger, and faster. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

for 1 season? I could get behind a 3rd day pick (4th contingent on resigning him, if not later). I wouldn't want to give up a 2nd day pick.

Yeah, there are a lot of different variables that could drastically change the trade value.

Whether we could work out a long term deal. IF Beane would even want to do that. etc.