Let's revisit and grade 2017 draft

How would you grade Bills 2017 draft class?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. How would you grade Bills 2017 draft class?

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B- to B+
    • C- to C+
    • D and worse

• 8 months later...

This draft got even better this year ... Five of the six are starters for playoff teams. Tanner Vallejo - Arizona, Zay Jones - Las Vegas, Milano, Dawkins, and honorable status as playoff starter to Tre White obviously.  Zay was actually getting league wide respect and making plays down the stretch until the last play of the Bengals matchup, which was a bad pass under pressure by Carr, not his fault.  All six players are still in the league... And the sixth one, while not currently desired to actually see regular season time on the field, even during COVID... has at one time been featured in his team's season opening hype video... 😂.  But the fact remains that five of six are well respected playoff starters if not stars.

1 hour ago, wakingfane said:

This draft got even better this year ... Five of the six are starters for playoff teams. Tanner Vallejo - Arizona, Zay Jones - Las Vegas, Milano, Dawkins, and honorable status as playoff starter to Tre White obviously.  Zay was actually getting league wide respect and making plays down the stretch until the last play of the Bengals matchup, which was a bad pass under pressure by Carr, not his fault.  All six players are still in the league... And the sixth one, while not currently desired to actually see regular season time on the field, even during COVID... has at one time been featured in his team's season opening hype video... 😂.  But the fact remains that five of six are well respected playoff starters if not stars.

Vallejo isn't a starter. He is a special teamer and backup who has played fewer than 20% of the defensive snaps. He had a nice tackle last night and regardless having a 6th rounder who lasts 5 years in the NFL (all of it on rosters as well not on PS) is a good pick, even if he is a special teamer and depth player. 

As for Zay, pleased that he had a nice year. The frustration is he came out as a possession receiver. Not a big play guy, but a guy who could make a nice #2, catch the ball and move the chains. Despite that in Buffalo he caught fewer than 50% of his targets. With the Raiders he is at almost 70%. He is still nowhere close to justifying a second round pick unfortunately and when I look at that Raiders team the WR corps is the first place I go to as a unit needing an upgrade. Henry Ruggs had just about started to put it all together for them before he ended his own career with stupidity and they are left devoid of a genuine #1 or #2 receiver. Their best weapons are their slot guy and their tight end and it forces them to be a kind of small ball offense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Peterbeater is an F and the only bust and everyone else is a starter or a star.

Zay gets a C+ or B- as a starter in Oakland

Vallejo is a starter in the NFL C+ to B- again

Passing on Mahomee was the right thing to do he would have failed miserably here  (also could you imagine having his tool of a brother in the Bills Mafia?)

He landed on a loaded team and Redshirted and thats what he needed

We currently have the best QB/Weapon in the league.

I will agree on the rest of the grades.

A great draft that built a solid foundation.

On 5/3/2021 at 1:40 PM, Rico said:

A, the hits far outweigh the misses.ĺpppp

PS. ***** the Rat, I’d rather have Josh.

Agree! There's no qb I'd take over Josh Allen -- I think he's a perfect fit for Buffalo.  I  think it does matter how a player fits into the community around his team. When you live and work in a place you enjoy its gonna show in the results of your work.  You can keep your Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers. Yes all are mvp quality nfl Qb talents but I'll take Allen all day over them even if he never wins a SB.  Find it highly unlikely Allen will not win multiple SBs, but until he does it that's always a possibility.  

I've seen a few posts in this thread linking the 2018 pick we got in the Mahomes trade to Josh Allen.  That simply isn't true.  That pick & the pick we got for Tyrod were traded for Edmunds.  Allen was aquired with pick #12 (our own pick #21 + Cordy Glenn), our own 2nd & the 2nd we got from LA in the Watkins trade. 

It's actually more correct to link the Dawkins pick to the Allen pick.  Dawkins emergence as a rookie enabled the Bills to package Glenn to Cincy with the 21st pick to move up to 12.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.