Son of Satan, Drinker of Babies' Blood not Pleased with Philly Pick - Front Office Rift

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Remember when the Bills website used to publish the "Ask Tom Donahoe" Q/A every so often?

He used to read and sometimes post on the Bills official message boards as well, under another name of course. 

Was he ranting about his POS boss micromanaging every move? Good place to vent I guess.

9 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Butler screwed the pooch with the Salary cap, so there is that, as well...

I believe it was overwhelming arrogance in combination with the incompetence.

I knew something was wrong when Marvin Lewis, who everybody expected to go to the Bills, chose the Bengals instead. 

• Like (+1) 1

If a guy you really want is on the board then you take him. You don't worry about picking up an extra 6th or whatever trash it was to drop back three spots and then 🤞🤞 in hopes he'll still be there. 

40 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Its a reference to an old TBD thread.

That thread is full of TBD OG's, many that I wonder what had happened to over the years. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, HT02 said:

Pretty harsh title, I don't harbor any resentment for Donahoe.  Seems like a pretty decent man who spent more of Wilson's money than Ralph was comfortable with.  The Losman pick didn't work out but its not the first time a QB disappointed.

His cardinal sin was his coaching hire. Williams was terrible. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

His cardinal sin was his coaching hire. Williams was terrible. 

Not good, but I would say extending Bledsoe after 2003 was THE major blunder. In both moves, his hands were probably tied by Ralph.

Edited by Rico

Man, things in Philly fell apart QUICK after that special SB run.

Reminds me of the Jerry Glanville line from those old NFL films highlights. “You know what NFL stands for? Not for long.”

1 minute ago, KGun12TD said:

As Bills fans, do we care? Will this benefit our agenda in any way? Can we get Ertz, for a bag of peanuts? Asking for the rest of the mafia.

This board discusses the entire NFL.  

I'm sure this is a common occurrence within organizations. 

It's why I immediately fell in love with the McBeane hiring. 

Sean and Brando shared the exact same blueprint and vision for this team to sustain long term success!

They obviously worked together in Car and I'm sure both talked about sharing that vision of what their team would look like, so bringing Beane along was a no brainer 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, HT02 said:

Pretty harsh title, I don't harbor any resentment for Donahoe.  Seems like a pretty decent man who spent more of Wilson's money than Ralph was comfortable with.  The Losman pick didn't work out but its not the first time a QB disappointed.

On the one hand, I agree with you that a GM's incompetence does not necessarily imply a family relationship with Satan. On the other hand, Donahoe's incompetence is about far more than just one draft pick:

1) In 2001, TD could have drafted Drew Brees. Instead of which, he traded down for Nate Clements, CB. Clements went first contract + one year and out.

2) Prior to the 2002 season, TD traded away his first round pick in 2003 for Drew Bledsoe. Bledsoe spent 3 years as the Bills' starting QB before getting released.

3) In the 2002 draft Donahoe used the 4th overall pick to take Mike Williams, RT. Williams was among the biggest busts in franchise history. Donahoe gained pretty much nothing from the 2002 draft. 

4) In 2003, Donahoe used a first round pick to take Willis McGahee, RB. McGahee failed to provide a significant upgrade over Travis Henry, whom Donahoe had drafted in the 2nd round of 2001.

5) In the 2004 draft, Donahoe chose not to trade up for Ben Roethlisberger, because he thought the price too expensive. Instead he stayed at 13th overall and took Lee Evans (a decent speed WR). He then traded back into the first for Losman, using his 2nd round pick from 2004 and his first round pick from 2005.

6) Had the Losman trade not occurred, the Bills could have drafted Aaron Rodgers in 2005. But the Losman acquisition meant that they were unable (no first rounder in 2005) and unwilling to do so. 

7) As for Losman himself, there was nothing to suggest he'd be a good QB beyond his good physical tools. A QB like that is a prototype of a first round bust. 

8 ) Somewhere along the way, Donahoe chose to end contract negotiations with Antoine Winfield, CB. Winfield was a first round pick and a multiple Pro Bowl player who had a 14 year career. Only the first five of those years were spent in Buffalo, due to first-contract-and-out. The money Donahoe saved by not extending Winfield he used to overpay aging players such as Troy Vincent and Lawyer Milloy. 

9) Donahoe made two bad head coaching hires: Gregg Williams and (later) Mike Mularkey. The Williams hire was especially boneheaded, because the Bills had an outstanding defensive scheme in place when Donahoe took over. He should have hired an offensively oriented head coach while keeping that defensive scheme. The defensive scheme Williams installed was significantly worse than the one it replaced. 

Edited by Arm of Harm
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

The whole scene seemed very familiar and thats when I remembered where I had seen it before.

Always appreciate a good McPoyle reference. Nice work!

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

On the one hand, I agree with you that a GM's incompetence does not necessarily imply a family relationship with Satan. On the other hand, Donahoe's incompetence is about far more than just one draft pick:

1) In 2001, TD could have drafted Drew Brees. Instead of which, he traded down for Nate Clements, CB. Clements went first contract + one year and out.

2) Prior to the 2002 season, TD traded away his first round pick in 2003 for Drew Bledsoe. Bledsoe spent 3 years as the Bills' starting QB before getting released.

3) In the 2002 draft Donahoe used the 4th overall pick to take Mike Williams, RT. Williams was among the biggest busts in franchise history. Donahoe gained pretty much nothing from the 2002 draft. 

4) In 2003, Donahoe used a first round pick to take Willis McGahee, RB. McGahee failed to provide a significant upgrade over Travis Henry, whom Donahoe had drafted in the 2nd round of 2001.

Don't forget getting rid of Ted Washington because Gregg Williams didn't like fat guys and essentially wrecking a top of the league defense.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

5) In the 2004 draft, Donahoe chose not to trade up for Ben Roethlisberger, because he thought the price too expensive. Instead he stayed at 13th overall and took Lee Evans (a decent speed WR). He then traded back into the first for Losman, using his 2nd round pick from 2004 and his first round pick from 2005.

6) Had the Losman trade not occurred, the Bills could have drafted Aaron Rodgers in 2005. But the Losman acquisition meant that they were unable (no first rounder in 2005) and unwilling to do so. 

7) As for Losman himself, there was nothing to suggest he'd be a good QB beyond his good physical tools. A QB like that is a prototype of a first round bust. 

8 ) Somewhere along the way, Donahoe chose to end contract negotiations with Antoine Winfield, CB. Winfield was a first round pick and a multiple Pro Bowl player who had a 14 year career. Only the first five of those years were spent in Buffalo, due to first-contract-and-out. The money Donahoe saved by not extending Winfield he used to overpay aging players such as Troy Vincent and Lawyer Milloy. 

9) Donahoe made two bad head coaching hires: Gregg Williams and (later) Mike Mularkey. The Williams hire was especially boneheaded, because the Bills had an outstanding defensive scheme in place when Donahoe took over. He should have hired an offensively oriented head coach while keeping that defensive scheme. The defensive scheme Williams installed was significantly worse than the one it replaced. 

He was also responsible for that abomination of a uniform...the dark navy with silver and mismatching light blue piping and the white with the Titans-style square blue shoulders. He should have been flogged for that decision alone.

image.png.a3a701d7a94135847bf0698945fa01fb.png

• Vomit 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rico said:

Not good, but I would say extending Bledsoe after 2003 was THE major blunder. In both moves, his hands were probably tied by Ralph.

Before the McD era, the most I was excited about a Bills season after the Kelly years was when Donahoe hot the open checkbook from Ralph and went out and signed guys like Adams, Spikes, Milloy and Bledsoe. I remember the day we signed Spikes, who I really wanted, and I was so hyped up.