Bills exercise 5th year options on QB Josh Allen & LB Tremaine Edmunds

1 hour ago, CountDorkula said:

Apparently disagreeing with some moves now means you are a hater or a complainer.

It's really weird. 

Edmunds is not a 13 million dollar linebacker.

Most of the good/great LBs had defensive linemen that occupied offensive linemen which allowed them to attack. Edmunds hasn’t had opportunity yet. Maybe Star helps him in that regard. All I know is that with that newly acquired money, he and his brothers can go back to Kay Jewelers and get Mom a bigger rock for her necklace!!😎

Edited by Solomon Grundy

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Thanks Yolo. I cut and pasted the link in my OP and usually that works. I screwed it up! My big chance to share the big news on the board and I blew it!! Gah! 😆

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In the least surprising news of the year.....

That is a pretty bad dig on @blacklabel Gunner!

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

In related news, steelers Aren’t picking up tremaine’s brother’s 5th year option. Bit of a surprise, as he is a solid safety. 

They're still pissed the Bills stole Renegade.  Guilt by relationship.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Most of the good/great LBs had defensive linemen that occupied offensive linemen which allowed them to attack. Edmunds hasn’t had opportunity yet. Maybe Star helps him in that regard. All I know is that with that newly acquired money, he and his brothers can go back to Kay Jewelers and get Mom a bigger rock for her necklace!!

This isnt makin a great case for him yet.

To me this says, pay D tackles

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Tremaine haterz:

200.gif&f=1&nofb=1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think there are any Edmunds “haters”, rather Edmunds “realists”.  

I love the kid, but he needs to play better or 12.7M is substantially overpaying for his services.  As the kids say, FACTS.  

33 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

In politics, they call this walking back your statement. As I said, my issue was your self-congratulatory "realist" label. You have an opinion, no more, no less.

Being a hater, a realist, a homer, a fanboy etc.... are all based on your opinion of something.   But thanks for informing me of the obvious.

why wouldn’t you quote the post I was originally replying to and correct him for calling people Tremaine haterz?  Isn’t being a “haterz” just someone having an opinion....no more...no less.  

meanwhile, you still put words in my mouth insinuating that I didn’t like the Edmunds signing and tried to back it up with information that doesn’t back your case.

i guess I just don’t understand the point of your post.  You just wanted to tell me that there are no “realists”....no “haterz”......no “fanboys”......just people with opinions.  Cool.  Thanks

36 minutes ago, appoo said:

Edmunds is younger than half the Bills draft pick from this year. only Russeau, Stevenson and Jack Anderson are younger

That is always an interesting take, but he comes from a football family and has been immersed in the sport.

If memory serves he makes some of the defensive calls on the field. So game IQ may not be an issue.

I could get behind the "raw" project Allen with his multi-sport background and limited focus on football, QB camps, etc... If anything Allen has progressed faster than I imagined.

Right or wrong, I had more expectations of Edmunds after his first 2 seasons where it looked like he was building on something, but he has been regressing..

"...you're either growing or you're dying. There ain't no third direction."

- Tommy Boy

It is in all of our interest as Bills fans that he turn his play around this season. We are going to need more impact plays (passes defended, sacks on blitzes, TFLs, FF, ...) from that position.

2 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

Allen, sure of course.  Total no-brainer.

Edmunds, I'm not so sure.  I would like to see how year four goes before extending him.  (Picking up his option is a nice move since we don't have to worry about another Shaq Lawson situation if he takes a couple steps forward next year). 

Shaq situation? To me it's telling Miami traded him after 1 year into his contract. Also as much as we dog on Edmunds he's a way better player than Shaq has ever been.

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Doubling down on DE's in the draft also, in theory, gives them some financial room to overpay for Edmunds and hope he elevates his game.    They are likely projecting that they won't have to pay $15M-$20M for a pass rusher in the next 4-5 offseasons. 

I don't agree with that strategy.........the guy simply needs to be playing on the LOS more than posting up like a stiff in the middle of a 2-3 zone but it is what it is.

The logical leaps and fallacies one has to commit to convince themselves that is the strategy is honestly impressive. 

41 minutes ago, appoo said:

He was the Bills' 2nd best defender in the 2nd half of the season last year, after getting healthy.

McDermott puts more pressure on his LBs than just about any other scheme in the NFL, a lot of which means the LB gets highlited when things don't go right. But at the same time, he probably doesn't get the credit he deserves when things go right, because the ball isn't near him - or he's doing something like taking up a blocker or setting an edge.

My point here is Edmunds - at a very young age - is playing in the toughest scheme a LB can play in, is doing it well enough to earn a lot of recognition from his peers, and well enough so that his HC who's widely respected for his defensive chops, also thinks pretty highly of him as well.

And finally, I watch him with my own eyes, and I see a sideline-to-sideline backer who can cover, play the run and blitz - a rare combination of talent. He also has elite potential as a coverage backer, plus potential as a run defender, while not as good as I'd like as a blitzer - though I don't think that's a huge value for his position here.

I think most of us who aren't either, "Edmunds is the best" or "Edmunds is a bust" agree here. Most of the back and forth is just value in dollars. He has major talent and is an athletic freak. Keep the dude around. I just start to scratch my head at any long term valuation that starts to exceed $12M by a large margin 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Certainly true.  Derrick Henry runs more like Jim Brown than anyone I've ever seen.   In the 60s, if you had Jim Brown, you were a contender every year.  Now, the perennial contenders are Green Bay, Tampa Bay, Kansas City, and, yes, Buffalo, and it isn't because of the running backs.  Meanwhile, incredible as Henry is, Tennessee is only going so far as Tannehill can take them.

The Titans are the kind of team you never want to be down on the scoreboard against.

They will just strangle the clock and have Henry rag doll your defense till they are all hands-on-hips and gasping. Henry is a machine.

I will give Josh Norman props for foolish bravery.

Most DBs know there is a good chance they will end up on the wrong side of an internet meme if they face off against Henry with a head of steam.

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Really disappointed in the Edmunds news, not a good move from a simple financial options play.  Beane does a lot of things right, but contracts is not his strongest suite.  He has consistently over spent on mediocre talent, hope he gets better about it in the future.

We just went to the AFC Championship game. Where did we over spend?

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Really disappointed in the Edmunds news, not a good move from a simple financial options play.  Beane does a lot of things right, but contracts is not his strongest suite.  He has consistently over spent on mediocre talent, hope he gets better about it in the future.

You are currently batting .032%

• Haha (+1) 1

A lot of people wanted LVE and Rashaan Evans that year and both of those guys had their options declined. Sometimes fans' perceived value of a player does not line up with how the team and the league feel about a guy. 

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think most of us who aren't either, "Edmunds is the best" or "Edmunds is a bust" agree here. Most of the back and forth is just value in dollars. He has major talent and is an athletic freak. Keep the dude around. I just start to scratch my head at any long term valuation that starts to exceed $12M by a large margin 

Keep in mind that the more important metric will be % of salary cap. There are going to be a couple of new TV deals that are going to hit when Edmunds and Allen's deal kick in, in 2023. They'll a really nice signing bonus in 2022, but the high salary years should start in 22