Bills exercise 5th year options on QB Josh Allen & LB Tremaine Edmunds

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't know if it's quite the certainty that you say, but I agree in general.   I says something about how McDermott wants to play defense in the coming years.   He thinks that he can have a winning defense without a traditional power linebacker in the middle.  Edmunds is far from the prototypical middle linebacker of the distant or even the recent past.  He isn't Dick Butkus or Ray Lewis.  That seems to be okay with McDermott.  

Shame.  The game has changed faster than I wanted it to.  Violent running plays resulting in a 4 yard gain just don't make it onto Twitter.  

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Interesting that the Titans didn’t exercise Rashaan Evans’ option but are trying to sign him long-term.  IMO that would’ve been the better play with Edmunds - exercising the option in some ways makes us HARDER to sign him long-term because his play hasn’t matched what it will cost.  

Doubling down on DE's in the draft also, in theory, gives them some financial room to overpay for Edmunds and hope he elevates his game.    They are likely projecting that they won't have to pay $15M-$20M for a pass rusher in the next 4-5 offseasons. 

I don't agree with that strategy.........the guy simply needs to be playing on the LOS more than posting up like a stiff in the middle of a 2-3 zone but it is what it is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

Your words, "he needs to play better or 12.7M is substantially overpaying for his services.  As the kids say, FACTS." So, you dislike the contract he is getting. I don't have "to tell". You already told.

I don't take issue with your point of view. I take issue with your dismissing every poster who is happy the fifth year is picked up by congratulating yourself for being a "realist". No, you just have an opinion - no more, no less.

Lol.....no.  He is overpaid.....I didn’t say I didn’t like it.  Please don’t put words into my mouth. Saying someone is overpaid, in no way means that I don’t like the contract.  We overpaid for Mario Williams.  I loved that we signed  him.  Dareus was overpaid.  I didn’t think it was a good decision to let him walk.  I thought they wrote a bad contract....but didn’t dislike the signing.  The Bills overpaid almost every free agent they signed for close to 20 years.  That doesn’t mean I didn’t like the signings.

I really like Tremaine. I have hopes that he will improve and be a building block for multiple super bowl titles.  I have hopes that his improvement will make him worthy of his contract .  He is currently not a 12.7M player imo and is overpaid. 

but feel free to continue to put words in my mouth

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Agree with you 100%.  Edmunds has been mediocre at best despite what many on this board believe.  (I know he made 2 pro bowls.  Big deal.  Watch the film.  The guy has no instincts to play the position and he is not a thumper)  Hopefully he gets a whole lot better this year.  Beane has done great bringing in Josh Allen Stefan Diggs and Cole Beasley.  The rest of his signings have been overall mediocre at best.  (Tre White was not his draft pick, nor was Dion Dawkins Matt Milano Micah Hyde or Jordan Poyer)  He did a good job cleaning up the salary cap hell we had fallen in w all the dead money.  But his evaluation of talent over all has not been extraordinary by any means.  Sure there have been some hits like McKenzie, Bass,  Daryl Williams and Feliciano.  But the guy does not walk on water as seen w the signings of Jefferson Butler Addison last year.  And how much we overpaid for Mitch Morse given his performance

The AFC will be tougher this year.  Hopefully we see improvement from guys like Edmunds Oliver Epenesa and Knox with some strong play from Rouessau and Basham as the season progresses to give us a better team at playoff time.

Sorry you don't get to simply dismiss the TWO pro-bowls with a "Big deal".

Because what you're really saying is that you're opinion carries more weight than both the coaches and players who vote in that. 2/3rds of the vote for Pro-bowlers comes from those  groups.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Edmunds was pretty terrible last year (injury aside his instincts for the position are awful) and was exposed in the pass game a lot..  He needs to ball out this year and turn a corner.

Can you just become better instinctually if you don't have it?  What about learning how to take better angles and shoot gaps better?  He just isn't very good.  Don't mention the faux pro bowls.  

• Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 1

I'm happy about Edmunds, but not sure about that Allen kid - I mean, we didn't even make it to the Super Bowl!

Sorry, someone had to add the SUPER contrarian opinion to the thread...

Great news all-around, Let's Go Bills!!

:beer:

Edited by Heitz
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Lemme see..🤔 how to address your ridiculous post with polite decorum, while constructively offering criticism... 

oh yeah!

GO TO HELL!

👍

Thanks!  We/he needed the tough love.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, appoo said:

Sorry you don't get to simply dismiss the TWO pro-bowls with a "Big deal".

Because what you're really saying is that you're opinion carries more weight than both the coaches and players who vote in that. 2/3rds of the vote for Pro-bowlers comes from those  groups.

I think the changes to the Pro Bowl have DRASTICALLY devalued getting selected to it. 

I like Edmunds, but would agree the estimations on an extension, and maybe even the 5th year option, are higher value than his actual performance. I am fine with the 5th year tag. I think Edmunds is closer to an $11M value than $12M and change. But I won't split hairs. Some of the estimates I have read at $15M + seem absolutely wild. But we aren't there yet. 

17 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Well... unless they negotiate a new, long term deal. 5th year options are now fully guaranteed.

Well, they could extend or they could trade...so they will have options...

Edited by JaCrispy

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Lol.....no.  He is overpaid.....I didn’t say I didn’t like it.  Please don’t put words into my mouth. Saying someone is overpaid, in no way means that I don’t like the contract.  We overpaid for Mario Williams.  I loved that we signed  him.  Dareus was overpaid.  I didn’t think it was a good decision to let him walk.  I thought they wrote a bad contract....but didn’t dislike the signing.  The Bills overpaid almost every free agent they signed for close to 20 years.  That doesn’t mean I didn’t like the signings.

I really like Tremaine. I have hopes that he will improve and be a building block for multiple super bowl titles.  I have hopes that his improvement will make him worthy of his contract .  He is currently not a 12.7M player imo and is overpaid. 

but feel free to continue to put words in my mouth

In politics, they call this walking back your statement. As I said, my issue was your self-congratulatory "realist" label. You have an opinion, no more, no less.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't agree with that strategy.........the guy simply needs to be playing on the LOS more than posting up like a stiff in the middle of a 2-3 zone but it is what it is.

I can't explain it to you, because I don't understand it, either, but McDermott seems to think you're wrong about this.  And I don't mean it as a criticism of what you're saying, because I've always thought what you're saying is the correct approach.  

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think the changes to the Pro Bowl have DRASTICALLY devalued getting selected to it. 

I like Edmunds, but would agree the estimations on an extension, and maybe even the 5th year option, are higher value than his actual performance. I am fine with the 5th year tag. I think Edmunds is closer to an $11M value than $12M and change. But I won't split hairs. Some of the estimates I have read at $15M + seem absolutely wild. But we aren't there yet. 

He was the Bills' 2nd best defender in the 2nd half of the season last year, after getting healthy.

McDermott puts more pressure on his LBs than just about any other scheme in the NFL, a lot of which means the LB gets highlited when things don't go right. But at the same time, he probably doesn't get the credit he deserves when things go right, because the ball isn't near him - or he's doing something like taking up a blocker or setting an edge.

My point here is Edmunds - at a very young age - is playing in the toughest scheme a LB can play in, is doing it well enough to earn a lot of recognition from his peers, and well enough so that his HC who's widely respected for his defensive chops, also thinks pretty highly of him as well.

And finally, I watch him with my own eyes, and I see a sideline-to-sideline backer who can cover, play the run and blitz - a rare combination of talent. He also has elite potential as a coverage backer, plus potential as a run defender, while not as good as I'd like as a blitzer - though I don't think that's a huge value for his position here.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't know if it's quite the certainty that you say, but I agree in general.   I says something about how McDermott wants to play defense in the coming years.   He thinks that he can have a winning defense without a traditional power linebacker in the middle.  Edmunds is far from the prototypical middle linebacker of the distant or even the recent past.  He isn't Dick Butkus or Ray Lewis.  That seems to be okay with McDermott.  

Maybe in part because the game has evolved into more of a passing game...Derrick Henry not withstanding.

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Edmunds in the passing game can stand with any of the top LBs in the NFL. He was an absolute beast the last 6 weeks, and in 2/3 playoff games. 

This notion that ‘he sucks in coverage’ needs to go away. He had a rough stretch in the beginning of the season while he was injured, but that doesn’t erase 2019 or the 2nd half of the season.

I agree. I think hes great in the passing game. Where he struggles is in the run game. Limited TFL and just isn't a playmaker in the that regard. 

5 minutes ago, foreboding said:

Maybe in part because the game has evolved into more of a passing game...Derrick Henry not withstanding.

Certainly true.  Derrick Henry runs more like Jim Brown than anyone I've ever seen.   In the 60s, if you had Jim Brown, you were a contender every year.  Now, the perennial contenders are Green Bay, Tampa Bay, Kansas City, and, yes, Buffalo, and it isn't because of the running backs.  Meanwhile, incredible as Henry is, Tennessee is only going so far as Tannehill can take them.

• Like (+1) 1