Bills exercise 5th year options on QB Josh Allen & LB Tremaine Edmunds

22 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Tremaine haterz:

200.gif&f=1&nofb=1

I don’t think there are any Edmunds “haters”, rather Edmunds “realists”.  

I love the kid, but he needs to play better or 12.7M is substantially overpaying for his services.  As the kids say, FACTS.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Allen - this was obvious

Edmunds - it seemed likely.  if you go solely based off his play, he probably doesn't deserve to be paid a top salary (what is the fifth year option for him?  he was picked outside of the top 10, so i think it's an average of like the top 30 players at his position or something like that?).  but it's only for one year and it's a good faith move with Edmunds.  i see it as an indicator that the team wants him going forward, but it is in no way an indication that they want to pay him more than he is worth on his next contract.  wait and see how he performs this year and then make a suitable contract offer next year   

Edited by berg1029
  • Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, wppete said:

Love it! Excellent news. I’m sure we sign Josh to a longterm deal before the season anyway.

In other news....Pittsburg did t pick up

Tremains brothers 5th year contract. Hope

Beane goes after him, he would be a good fit in our defense. 

Hayden Hurst didn’t get his option picked up either in Atlanta.

• Like (+1) 1

The irony about today's move is that if someone had asked in mid-2018 who would develop faster into an All-Pro, I think the vast majority of TBD would have said Edmunds.  After all, he played a position with a unique physical skill set, had continuity in coaching, and the scheme was set up for him. 

Yet, it's Allen who ascended to All-Pro status and Edmunds we keep hearing has potential, is still very young, and going to get better.  Giving TE the 5th year option pushes the problem down the road, but without significant improvement he'll be a 10M+ albatross in that defense come 2022.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewEra said:

I love the kid, but he needs to play better or 12.7M is substantially overpaying for his services.  As the kids say, FACTS.  

Apparently disagreeing with some moves now means you are a hater or a complainer.

It's really weird. 

Edmunds is not a 13 million dollar linebacker.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Edmunds in the passing game can stand with any of the top LBs in the NFL. He was an absolute beast the last 6 weeks, and in 2/3 playoff games. 

This notion that ‘he sucks in coverage’ needs to go away. He had a rough stretch in the beginning of the season while he was injured, but that doesn’t erase 2019 or the 2nd half of the season.

Dude, he allowed a QB passer rating of 130 when they targeted him last year.

Folks can sit back and say he was great all day long does not make it so, and it was plain as day that KC considered his coverage area a key target to exploit in our playoff game....late in the season (and it was).

Beane loves his picks, especially ones he spent picks and position to reach. He has also overspent on some middling former Panther vets.

He is loyal to a fault with his guys, but to be fair that also creates some of that culture capital that is hard to measure, but attracts quality FA's.

My patience with Edmunds living up to his potential was just about spent last season, but strongly suspected Beane would bet on Edmunds turning his play around.

Not pleased, but not surprised. Was certain they were not going to plug a rookie into the middle with how close this team is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Why do all posters who don't like something about the Bills or a Bill call themselves "realists"? You are no more a "realist" than someone who thinks that Edmunds will lead us to a Super Bowl. You have a point of view, that's all.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Why are you whispering?

WHAT?

CAN YOU SPEAK UP?

Sorry, just funny.  Shocked they picked up both.

in other news the world is round.  Was this really a surprise to anyone?

maybe we should get Reggie Ragland to fill in, or insert every other crap LB we’ve had foe two decades.  He’s not Dick Butkas, but he’s not again insert stupid LB’s we’ve had since the 90’s.

• Like (+1) 1

Tremaine still needs to progress, or be used in a different role.  He isn't making the plays you might expect from a three year starter. OK, got to discount the injury last year in first part of the season.  Still, his performance is underwhelming. 

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Really disappointed in the Edmunds news, not a good move from a simple financial options play.  Beane does a lot of things right, but contracts is not his strongest suite.  He has consistently over spent on mediocre talent, hope he gets better about it in the future.

Agree with you 100%.  Edmunds has been mediocre at best despite what many on this board believe.  (I know he made 2 pro bowls.  Big deal.  Watch the film.  The guy has no instincts to play the position and he is not a thumper)  Hopefully he gets a whole lot better this year.  Beane has done great bringing in Josh Allen Stefan Diggs and Cole Beasley.  The rest of his signings have been overall mediocre at best.  (Tre White was not his draft pick, nor was Dion Dawkins Matt Milano Micah Hyde or Jordan Poyer)  He did a good job cleaning up the salary cap hell we had fallen in w all the dead money.  But his evaluation of talent over all has not been extraordinary by any means.  Sure there have been some hits like McKenzie, Bass,  Daryl Williams and Feliciano.  But the guy does not walk on water as seen w the signings of Jefferson Butler Addison last year.  And how much we overpaid for Mitch Morse given his performance

The AFC will be tougher this year.  Hopefully we see improvement from guys like Edmunds Oliver Epenesa and Knox with some strong play from Rouessau and Basham as the season progresses to give us a better team at playoff time.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Hasn’t Beane proven in the last couple of years he’s had three solid team friendly contracts.  Milano, D. Williams, and Feliciano.  Each could’ve gone to a crap team for more $.  Addison, Butler, and Morse took pay cuts.

some act like it’s you’re wallet.  He knows what he’s doing.  Edmunds we hope will be healthy this year and have the complete line with him so we’ll see what he does.  It doesn’t mean they can’t cut him later.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

Why do all posters who don't like something about the Bills or a Bill call themselves "realists"? You are no more a "realist" than someone who thinks that Edmunds will lead us to a Super Bowl. You have a point of view, that's all.

what do you mean “don’t like something about the Bills?”.  What don’t I like?  Do tell.

22 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

While most of us assumed both of these would happen, it was interesting to keep an eye on and even more so that Beane waited until the very last day to do it. For different reasons.

For Josh, good to see it triggered and I expect it will become part of the new deal he is about to sign (this month?). Which will allow us to spread bonus money out over a longer term and reduce the hit.

For Tremaine, it gives him some time to fully develop and see where he ends up. I dont expect a 2nd contract for him until at least after this season. If not after his 5th year.

edit: words

Agreed - the only thing I will say is if the Bills feel they can get an extension done on Edmunds prior to the season and it will help mitigate the cap hit next year - I expect them to push that through.  I think the mid 12 cap hit next year is higher than they would like and if they can get it down to 9-10 million with 3 year extension to free up more money in next years tight cap.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

Really disappointed in the Edmunds news, not a good move from a simple financial options play.  Beane does a lot of things right, but contracts is not his strongest suite.  He has consistently over spent on mediocre talent, hope he gets better about it in the future.

Lemme see..🤔 how to address your ridiculous post with polite decorum, while constructively offering criticism... 

oh yeah!

GO TO HELL!

👍

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

I don’t mind the move, as it gives the Bills flexibility with Edmunds...just because they signed him to the 5th year option does not mean they will be paying it...

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

what do you mean “don’t like something about the Bills?”.  What don’t I like?  Do tell.

Your words, "he needs to play better or 12.7M is substantially overpaying for his services.  As the kids say, FACTS." So, you dislike the contract he is getting. I don't have "to tell". You already told.

I don't take issue with your point of view. I take issue with your dismissing every poster who is happy the fifth year is picked up by congratulating yourself for being a "realist". No, you just have an opinion - no more, no less.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I don’t mind the move, as it gives the Bills flexibility with Edmunds...just because they signed him to the 5th year option does not mean they will be paying it...

Well... unless they negotiate a new, long term deal. 5th year options are now fully guaranteed.

• Thank you (+1) 1