Bills exercise 5th year options on QB Josh Allen & LB Tremaine Edmunds

I'm glad that both were picked up.  Edmunds is going to be a beast for us.  He is improving just as well as Josh, even though we see the big jump from Josh lets see what this year has in stored for Edmunds.

• Haha (+1) 2

Interesting that the Titans didn’t exercise Rashaan Evans’ option but are trying to sign him long-term.  IMO that would’ve been the better play with Edmunds - exercising the option in some ways makes us HARDER to sign him long-term because his play hasn’t matched what it will cost.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I really don't think Edmunds was every really the question anyone made it out to be. 

Josh's extension will be done before the end of June.

I thought there was a small chance that the Bills could have traded Edmunds for something like a 1st + 4th to a team in need of a starting MLB, like WFT. Then taken someone like Jamin Davis or Zaven Collins to replace him in order to reduce the cap hit...

Instead they decided to effectively replace their older vet starters at DE once Josh's 2nd contact kicks in. 

Just now, H2o said:

I'm good with this. Tremaine is still young and coming off an injury riddled season. Josh was a no-brainer. 

Tre is much more effective when he has better D-Line play in front of him.  

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Edmunds is not "mediocre talent".   He's given us "mediocre play", but his talent is evident.

I think you absolutely have to bet on it clicking for him.

And this is coming from someone who finds him to be an extremely frustrating player thus far.

I agree talent wise on Edmunds so it makes sense to see if he emerges this year. His play is either amazing or frustrating.  Let’s hope his gap selection, pursuit angles and block shedding steps up this year.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, wppete said:

Love it! Excellent news. I’m sure we sign Josh to a longterm deal before the season anyway.

In other news....Pittsburg did t pick up

Tremains brothers 5th year contract. Hope

Beane goes after him, he would be a good fit in our defense. 

You have to question what is going on over there. They have been a model franchise for years but they took a running back in the 1st Round and did nothing to address their QB situation in the draft. They didn't even take a swing at anyone. Roethlisberger is shot, IMO. They are kidding themselves if they think they can win a Super Bowl in this era with a strong running game and good defense. Plus everyone in their division is either on the rise or a solid playoff contender already.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's the smart play.

This gives the Bills a season to see if it was injuries that held him back. If he has a solid season this year it gives them an extra "prove it" year before locking in for huge dollars. And even then he will still be...what...25? Win/win for Buffalo here.

35 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't know if it's quite the certainty that you say, but I agree in general.   I says something about how McDermott wants to play defense in the coming years.   He thinks that he can have a winning defense without a traditional power linebacker in the middle.  Edmunds is far from the prototypical middle linebacker of the distant or even the recent past.  He isn't Dick Butkus or Ray Lewis.  That seems to be okay with McDermott.  

I think if the modern day version of either of those ALL TIME GREATS were available to the Bills, I’m pretty sure McBeane would do everything in their power to sign them.... including having Edmunds pick them up at the airport. 

On the off chance that neither of them are available, then yes, Edmunds will do. Both he and the defense played better once his shoulder was healed. It’s hard to play full speed downhill and thump people, when your shoulder is busted up. 

Edited by RobbRiddicksTDLeap

32 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't know if it's quite the certainty that you say, but I agree in general.   I says something about how McDermott wants to play defense in the coming years.   He thinks that he can have a winning defense without a traditional power linebacker in the middle.  Edmunds is far from the prototypical middle linebacker of the distant or even the recent past.  He isn't Dick Butkus or Ray Lewis.  That seems to be okay with McDermott.  

I agree with this. I think they like Edmunds alot more than we do as fans. 

He's a 23 year old captain already, so his teammatesobviouslylove n respecthis game as well.

I don't think they'd have picked up his 5th year if they didn't have a plan in place for a long term deal

While most of us assumed both of these would happen, it was interesting to keep an eye on and even more so that Beane waited until the very last day to do it. For different reasons.

For Josh, good to see it triggered and I expect it will become part of the new deal he is about to sign (this month?). Which will allow us to spread bonus money out over a longer term and reduce the hit.

For Tremaine, it gives him some time to fully develop and see where he ends up. I dont expect a 2nd contract for him until at least after this season. If not after his 5th year.

edit: words

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I guess the pro talent evaluators think Edumonds is pretty good. Don't hate this move at all regarding Edumonds, he has been a pretty good player when he has solid NT play in front of him and he isn't banged up. I think a lot of people here over criticize him even if he maybe is a bit overrated by the media. Either way more talent is staying through 2022 which isn't a bad thing. More than likely means that they extend both Josh and Edumonds most likely Josh by June and Edumonds next off-season.

36 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Edmunds is not "mediocre talent".   He's given us "mediocre play", but his talent is evident.

Talent doesn't mean much if not realized in on-field play. 

I am surprised that Edmunds' option was picked up but can't say I am disappointed as I trust Beane to have a plan for his contract. We will see how things progress but LB is one position where we seem to be the weakest in terms of starters and depth. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago