Bills exercise 5th year options on QB Josh Allen & LB Tremaine Edmunds

Really disappointed in the Edmunds news, not a good move from a simple financial options play.  Beane does a lot of things right, but contracts is not his strongest suite.  He has consistently over spent on mediocre talent, hope he gets better about it in the future.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 6
  • Eyeroll 7
  • Sad 2
  • Disagree 14
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Dislike 15

4 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Shocker 😎

Two cornerstone pieces for years to come. 

All but guarantees Edmunds and obviously Allen get extended 

Allen, sure of course.  Total no-brainer.

Edmunds, I'm not so sure.  I would like to see how year four goes before extending him.  (Picking up his option is a nice move since we don't have to worry about another Shaq Lawson situation if he takes a couple steps forward next year). 

Edited by BillsFanSD
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

Really disappointed in the Edmunds news, not a good move from a simple financial options play.  Beane does a lot of things right, but contracts is not his strongest suite.  He has consistently over spent on mediocre talent, hope he gets better about it in the future.

Bro, you’re about to get dragged to hell

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

All but guarantees Edmunds and obviously Allen get extended 

I don't know if it's quite the certainty that you say, but I agree in general.   I says something about how McDermott wants to play defense in the coming years.   He thinks that he can have a winning defense without a traditional power linebacker in the middle.  Edmunds is far from the prototypical middle linebacker of the distant or even the recent past.  He isn't Dick Butkus or Ray Lewis.  That seems to be okay with McDermott.  

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

Beane isn't good with the cap? That's news to me... he's been one of the better spenders per production in the entire NFL since 2017....

When you're trying to fill holes through free agency early on you're going to often overspend relative to the talent available.

Now we're starting to get to the point where we are retaining our own and paying them accordingly... what's the issue? You can't pay your own guys until A) You have your own guys and B) They're eligible to be paid.

• Like (+1) 2

Love it! Excellent news. I’m sure we sign Josh to a longterm deal before the season anyway.

In other news....Pittsburg did t pick up

Tremains brothers 5th year contract. Hope

Beane goes after him, he would be a good fit in our defense. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Edmunds is not "mediocre talent".   He's given us "mediocre play", but his talent is evident.

I think you absolutely have to bet on it clicking for him.

And this is coming from someone who finds him to be an extremely frustrating player thus far.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Edmunds in the passing game can stand with any of the top LBs in the NFL. He was an absolute beast the last 6 weeks, and in 2/3 playoff games. 

This notion that ‘he sucks in coverage’ needs to go away. He had a rough stretch in the beginning of the season while he was injured, but that doesn’t erase 2019 or the 2nd half of the season.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3