Is Jerry Hughes a future Wall of Famer?

Hughes WOF ?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Hughes

• Yes
    • No

16 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm kinda thinking what people say about good players not deserving HOF induction.

It's the Wall of Fame, not the Wall of Very Good.

If he got 12+ sacks this year, he might push me over the line. That’s obviously very unlikely. As it is, he’s been a good player who had his moments, but also lost his cool at times and it hurt us. The ref tiff thing has set him up to be held ever since. 

There are plenty of guys ahead of him in my mind. 

3 hours ago, Augie said:

If he got 12+ sacks this year, he might push me over the line. That’s obviously very unlikely. As it is, he’s been a good player who had his moments, but also lost his cool at times and it hurt us. The ref tiff thing has set him up to be held ever since. 

There are plenty of guys ahead of him in my mind. 

I agree with you and Hondo.  He’s been a solid player for us, but we’d run out of wall space if we put guys like him up there.  You’d have to add Eric Wood, Kyle Williams, Fred Jackson, and so on and so on.  Ask yourself this question, is he ever even close to being considered for the yellow jacket?  No.  You have to be one hair away from HOF to even close to be considered for the Wall.  It’s either equivalent or just one small step below Canton.

I don’t mind a guy like Tasker up there as he was transformational as a ST guy that isn’t a kicker, punter, and he still might someday get in the HOF.  He’s been nominated enough times.

11 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Fred Jackson deserves it because he was the best player on terrible teams; who’s previous best player was the punter. He held the team together for a long time. Same with Kyle Williams.

Hughes is a good player, who got a nice second chance with the Bills, but he’s never been a real consistent game changer. Fan favorite for sure, but he’s never been the best player on this team, let alone the defensive unit. 

No he wasn't.  Kyle was.  6 time Pro Bowler in 13 seasons all with Buffalo.  He held the team together.

Jackson had 3 seasons at or near 1000 yards.  Only 4 full seasons.  Stevie Johnson was better.  Spiller was better (when he played).

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Right now, I agree. but neither of those guys had the chance to play in games that really meant something. 

Hughes is still going strong, and therefore has the chance to make a huge play in a conference title game, for example, that would put him above those 2. 

We all love Fed Jackson and Kyle Williams, but Bills fans will remember the play where Hughes rips free of the blatant hold by the Seattle RT and hits Wilson to force the fumble that the Bills recover for a TD to end any chance of a Seattle comeback and seal the team's 1st Super Bowl win. That type of thing is still possible for Hughes, so his legacy is not complete. 

The feeling I had reading this in the past tense...that said, I don't think that feeling really exists...everytime I think it does something like the Cards game happens!

1 hour ago, HardyBoy said:

The feeling I had reading this in the past tense...that said, I don't think that feeling really exists...everytime I think it does something like the Cards game happens!

I hear you, but I think every fanbase has that. 

Imagine being one of the 25 Falcons fans out there. 28-3. Plus they've melted down similarly a couple times since then, but that's the big one. 

Or a Packers fan... 2 HOF QBs who didn't win a lot in the playoffs and eventually forced their way out

Or a Saints fan... talk about constant playoff heartbreak the past bunch of years. the Minnesota miracle. The non-PI. The other non-PI. 

On 5/3/2021 at 10:50 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

Jeremy White brought it up this morning and he thinks so.  I think so too.  

He has been here 9 years.  He has been through 3 coaching staffs.  I don't think he's missed a game due to injury.

Always plays hard.

I believe top 5 in sacks in franchise history.

Yes, he goes on the wall.

Aaron Schobel deserves to be on the wall.

Nine seasons.  All with Bills.

Played 16 games/season in eight of those.

Second in sacks all-time for the Bills.

Schobel should be next.

• Like (+1) 1

I would put Jerry in the maybe category for now (along with Schobel).

There are probably some older players that are still worthy too, but even just talking recent players (last 20 years), I personally would put Fred Jackson, Kyle Williams, and Brian Moorman on the Wall before considering Schobel or Hughes (but don't get me wrong...I love Jerry and don't think he gets as much credit as he deserves for his play over the years).

To me, The Wall is about more than just stats or longevity with the team. Those are kind of pre-requisites, but not the deciding factor (unless say the player was a HOF-level player, that's an automatic bid).

Not even close.

16 minutes ago, Builder Bill said:

This stud is soooooo underappreciated! Top of the league year after year. If he was in any other uni this guy would be a god

Sorry, but edge rushers are judged by sack production, which Hughes hasn't gotten. He'd be accurately viewed as a good player on any other team, but nothing special or great.

6 hours ago, DJB said:

This article insinuates that Lee Smith is an upgrade over Hurst. 

Are we sure we want him here? 

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

Not even close.

Sorry, but edge rushers are judged by sack production, which Hughes hasn't gotten. He'd be accurately viewed as a good player on any other team, but nothing special or great.

Look how Clowney is viewed. I'd take jerry on a bad day

Love Hughes but I voted no. I would also vote no on Schobel and Kyle Williams. Solid players but based upon 20 years of bad teams, I feel they were more of a player who shined amongst some very bad talent lacking teams. Again Jerry is solid but IMO to be on the wall you need to be a true cream of the crop difference maker. There are a few on the wall that I would state shouldn’t be. I’m sure others may disagree.

Edited by TFBillsfan