Is Jerry Hughes a future Wall of Famer?

Hughes WOF ?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Hughes

• Yes
    • No

I don't think he will unless he finishes extremely strong his last however many years here.

He has been rock solid, but not exceptional. I feel he and Schobel would have similar shots at making it and I don't see either getting there even though I really like both players. Hope I'm wrong honestly.

Then again Hansen is in and purely statwise (which I do not think is the end-all-be-all) I don't see him all that much higher above either.

• Like (+1) 4

I may be in the minority but ever since he had that confrontation with the ref that year, it seems like life as a pass rusher has been difficult for him. The guy gets held and mangled so often and a very high percent of the time it does not get called.

Just makes me wonder how much better his numbers would be if not for that. I don't know, either way he's been a good player that has stayed for I think going on 10 years? Definitely see why some say he is worthy of WOF.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just for some perspective, here is a list of who IS on the Wall currently:

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/alumni/wall-of-fame

For some reason I thought Schobel was already up there.

Need to get him, Kyle, and Fred Jackson up.

Not a lot of players from the drought years should go up. But I'd give it to those 3 and Jerry.

Probably not but that shouldn't take away from his time as a Bill.  Jerry has been one of my favorites for quite a while no matter what his stat line looks like.  He still plays at an outstanding level and plays his rear end off all the time.  Hoping some of the new blood can get pressure on the QB this year so we can talk about Jerry's sack numbers instead of QB pressure rate.

I think it's close, but right now I would say no. 

But his career is still going, and if the Bills get to the Super Bowl all it takes is the LT/RT not holding Hughes' jersey tight enough on one play and BAM! we've got a Carolina/Denver SB situation. 

I have almost no memory of that SB except for Von Miller strip sacking Newton and knocking the ball free for his teammate to recover for a defensive TD. 

Hughes makes a play like that in a SB the Bills win he's on the wall and it's a no-brainer. Funny thing is that DL seem to always show up in the Super Bowl. It's like they become a step or two faster. I could see Hughes having that type of game. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Jeremy White brought it up this morning and he thinks so.  I think so too.  

He has been here 9 years.  He has been through 3 coaching staffs.  I don't think he's missed a game due to injury.

Always plays hard.

I believe top 5 in sacks in franchise history.

And top 1 in personal fouls!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Not before Fred or Kyle... probably not after then either. 

Right now, I agree. but neither of those guys had the chance to play in games that really meant something. 

Hughes is still going strong, and therefore has the chance to make a huge play in a conference title game, for example, that would put him above those 2. 

We all love Fed Jackson and Kyle Williams, but Bills fans will remember the play where Hughes rips free of the blatant hold by the Seattle RT and hits Wilson to force the fumble that the Bills recover for a TD to end any chance of a Seattle comeback and seal the team's 1st Super Bowl win. That type of thing is still possible for Hughes, so his legacy is not complete. 

• Like (+1) 2