Draft grades are in

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

That's what you say it is, but when asked you have to base your grade on something. So unless they are going to base it on someone else's Mock, they'll use there own as a measuring stick.  I still think you're taking this these grades the wrong way.  You, and others, seem to suggest it means the author thinks the Team did a poor job in drafting.  When what it possibly means is that things didn't break quite their way.  The Draft is conducted in real time. Teams are in constant flux...thus all the jockeying for position at the last minute with Trades.  As a GM you could think your guy is going to be there, but then at the last minute another Team jumps up and takes him, so you have to scramble and select another guy.  It's not what you planned on doing but as the boxers say your plan goes away the minute you get punched in the mouth. 

No, I think most people understand that.  The dumb part is that they are using their mock draft as the model answer to grade from.  In other words, they are using their amateur mock draft to grade professionals....on a wildly unpredictable topic where we won't know the right answers for at least a year.  

Basically, draft grades are dumb for a lot of reasons!

Edited by Crayola64

Some fans of football think if your not drafting for a QB you’re having boring drafts, bless their hearts..., 

• Agree 1

I know many people wanted flashier skill position players. We all ready have one of the highest scoring offenses in the league and adding another skill position isn't really going to create a big jump. There is only one ball. OLmen and DLmen are on the field contributing on every down. I like this draft, because there are no reaches to fill some perceived need. The team is stronger and looking back at the way this draft was run, I think there is some potential for some of these guys to be big contributors. I also think that the positions drafted are highly valued league wide and we may be able to score some draft picks in trade.

1 hour ago, Crayola64 said:

No, I think most people understand that.  The dumb part is that they are using their mock draft as the model answer to grade from.  In other words, they are using their amateur mock draft to grade professionals....on a wildly unpredictable topic where we won't know the right answers for at least a year.  

Basically, draft grades are dumb for a lot of reasons!

I'll try not to come off as arguing, but you're assuming that their grade means the Team's Draft will end up being a good Draft over the years.  What if the grade only means that the Draft didn't work out the way the author of the Mock (or many people for that matter) thought it would? 

I still think this was a draft where we took a real short term risk. We bet heavily on future potential with our first and third round picks in a year where we are built to win it all. KC got better but did we surpass them? On paper it doesn’t feel like it, unless Rousseau hits his potential faster than some expect.  I think part of my skepticism is how AJ contributed very little year one. I trust Beane and hope he hit on the top 3. The rest are gravy practice squad players and a possible returner to me. 
My big hope is we get KC very late in the season so we get these kids time to play. We need to beat KC. 

• Like (+1) 1

I liked the Bills strategy. Get more physical on DL and OL. Clearly needed after the KC, TN, INDY games. I also like building inside out once the QB is in place.

Not sure I liked the execution.

Pass rush, 1T DT and IOL were clear needs. Pass rush was addressed, but the OL moves addressed the OT, which seem to be the Bills strength. To do so they they drafted a boom/bust pick in the first, doubled down on DE in the second, and went OT in the third. They passed on many good C, OG, DT picks to do so.

This was a weird draft for a lot of reasons. I hope doubling down on DE gives the Bills the DE's they need for a run, that Brown becomes a starting OT and a later rounder contributes.

But I understand the poorer grades.

Edited by ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin
  • Like (+1) 1