Draft grades are in

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Aren't draft grades usually based on how near or far from the grader's mock draft a team was?

Yes. And Kiper has said this many times in the past. 

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Chart shows a compilation of draft grades.  We all know that there’s limited value in immediate draft grades, but they’re something to discuss now that we are entering the post draft NFL void.  Flame away 

Draft grades a day after the “draft” always makes me laugh.

Let’s grade this draft in 3 years.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Chart shows a compilation of draft grades.  We all know that there’s limited value in immediate draft grades, but they’re something to discuss now that we are entering the post draft NFL void.  Flame away 

Seems the average grade is around a B which isn’t surprising since we didn’t add any “splash” players I’ve always been wary of draft grades since the Seattle Seahawks in one of the great drafts in their history actually had some grade their 2012 draft which only included Russell Wilson an F 

On 5/3/2021 at 8:19 AM, BarleyNY said:

So our local sport writers seem...lukewarm at best

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/news-writers-grade-how-the-bills-fared-in-nfl-draft/article_85239004-ab57-11eb-87aa-e35aad2463b3.html

Vic Carruci B-

What came to the Bills were players who aren’t likely to make all that big of an impact as rookies. The first two picks, edge rushers Greg Rousseau and Carlos “Boogie” Basham Jr. could provide some help this season, though probably not as starters. The Bills’ frequent rotation of defensive linemen has a chance of creating opportunities for them to contribute.

After that, this draft fell off a figurative cliff. The Bills virtually ignored cornerback. They ignored running back and tight end.

Jay Skurski C+

The Bills’ general manager doubled down at edge rusher with his first two picks.....Their additions also create a roster crunch at the position. Yes, injuries happen and competition is never a bad thing, but how many players can the Bills realistically keep at defensive end?....Still, this draft puzzles me in one way: The Bills’ championship window is open. How many of these players today figure to contribute to that pursuit in a meaningful way in 2021? Grade: C+.

Mark Gaughan C

Greg Rousseau has to be viewed as a developmental prospect. Again, I’m choosing simply to trust the Bills’ personnel department on him. The good news is, he has time to develop. But they need him to be a big factor in 2022......The next two picks, the offensive tackles, were head-scratchers. I liked Syracuse corner Ifeatu Melifonwu, who went eight picks after the Bills took Northern Iowa’s Spencer Brown.

Jason Wolf B

The Bills have faith in cornerback Levi Wallace, running backs Devin Singletary and Zack Moss and tight end Dawson Knox.

That’s a major takeaway from the 2021 draft, in which Buffalo didn’t select a cornerback until the sixth round or a running back or tight end at all, largely ignoring three of the team’s greatest perceived needs.

General Manager Brandon Beane said he stuck with his philosophy of drafting the best player available, and it’s difficult to argue with that approach, considering the team advanced to the AFC championship game last season and the roster has no glaring, immediate holes among its projected starters.

Paraphrasing:

The media: "Bills should draft BPA!  Teams make bad choices by reaching for need!"

Also the media: "But...but...but...look at the needs the Bills just ignored in their draft!"

I'm reminded of what Beane said about the 2018 draft, that he walked into the press room and "Everyone was looking at me like I'd done something wrong!" and he said "I promise, you're going to love him!"

Just like 2018, Beane has a lot of people looking at him as though he's done something wrong.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Why is this concept so wrong? Before the draft all sorts of people create mocks forecasting how they think things will go or what they think teams should do. The big variable is of course not knowing what teams ahead of you are going to do. So...it doesn’t seem all that odd to me to look back and try and place a judgement on how things actually broke down. It doesn’t mean what many on here are trying to make it mean. It doesn’t mean these pundits know how these rookies are going to perform. But it is a judgement on whether it looks like things broke in the direction of each team and players were available when their turn came, or if teams made seemingly smart, or wasteful trades, etc. Why criticize the grading? It’s part of the Draft! Looking back after the three day pub crawl and saying “what the heck did we just do”.  Enjoy the stories.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/3/2021 at 9:19 AM, BarleyNY said:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/sorry-but-nfl-draft-grades-cant-tell-you-who-had-a-good-draft/

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/3/2021 at 9:43 AM, Thurman#1 said:

And by the way, ever notice how the teams with two 1sts are always near the top for being smart? And the teams with few early picks ... nobody thinks they picked well. And the teams with higher picks tend towards the top of the rankings as they generally have splashier picks?

All part of the fun, but it's all silly.

This... This... And this times a zillion! If you're going to take instant draft grades seriously--which, bless your heart, if you do--and the draft graders give teams who did well the previous year, and consequently earned lower picks, bad grades off the bat... Well... then silly is precisely what I would label the entire endeavor!

Not to mention that we don't know jack diddly squat about these players, and we won't for at least one year, if not three.

Good post, @Thurman#1!

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm reminded of what Beane said about the 2018 draft, that he walked into the press room and "Everyone was looking at me like I'd done something wrong!" and he said "I promise, you're going to love him!"

Just like 2018, Beane has a lot of people looking at him as though he's done something wrong.

@Hapless Bills Fan If people look at Beane like he'd done something wrong after every draft, I will be elated!

On 5/3/2021 at 8:36 AM, billsfan1959 said:

Who is Thor Nystrom and why is he so angry?

he gave the bills a D for drafting Allen.  

He gave the cardinals an A for drafting Rosen.

this is why draft grades have NO value.  It’s a joke.  You can’t grade something if you don’t have the answer key...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Why is this concept so wrong? Before the draft all sorts of people create mocks forecasting how they think things will go or what they think teams should do. The big variable is of course not knowing what teams ahead of you are going to do. So...it doesn’t seem all that odd to me to look back and try and place a judgement on how things actually broke down. It doesn’t mean what many on here are trying to make it mean. It doesn’t mean these pundits know how these rookies are going to perform. But it is a judgement on whether it looks like things broke in the direction of each team and players were available when their turn came, or if teams made seemingly smart, or wasteful trades, etc. Why criticize the grading? It’s part of the Draft! Looking back after the three day pub crawl and saying “what the heck did we just do”.  Enjoy the stories.

because it is a very very dumb concept.  It’s backwards.  It’s grading a team based on close they got to the mock draft.  It should be the opposite: a self-grade of how close the mock drafter got to reality.  

2 hours ago, Crayola64 said:

because it is a very very dumb concept.  It’s backwards.  It’s grading a team based on close they got to the mock draft.  It should be the opposite: a self-grade of how close the mock drafter got to reality.  

That's what you say it is, but when asked you have to base your grade on something. So unless they are going to base it on someone else's Mock, they'll use there own as a measuring stick.  I still think you're taking this these grades the wrong way.  You, and others, seem to suggest it means the author thinks the Team did a poor job in drafting.  When what it possibly means is that things didn't break quite their way.  The Draft is conducted in real time. Teams are in constant flux...thus all the jockeying for position at the last minute with Trades.  As a GM you could think your guy is going to be there, but then at the last minute another Team jumps up and takes him, so you have to scramble and select another guy.  It's not what you planned on doing but as the boxers say your plan goes away the minute you get punched in the mouth. 

On 5/3/2021 at 9:19 AM, BarleyNY said:

cool idea but draft grades in April are so meaningless

On 5/3/2021 at 6:19 AM, BarleyNY said:

The tweet was removed I guess, but here is today's updated version, with more rankings:

Also, Ryan Wilson of CBS Sports ranked us as having the 7th overall best draft:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-draft-ranking-every-teams-draft-class-patriots-crush-it-followed-by-cards-broncos-lions/

"Favorite pick: Houston's Marquez Stevenson has speed to burn and we love the idea of him joining a wide receiver group that includes Stefon Diggs, Cole Beasley and Gabriel Davis. He'll likely be given a chance to step into the John Brown role and we'll be watching to see if even Josh Allen has the arm strength to overthrow him. We had an early Round 6 grade on Stevenson.

Best value: We figured Wake Forest's Boogie Basham would be long gone by the bottom of Round 2 (we liked him as a late first-rounder) and we expect him to be a Day 1 contributor, along with Bills first-rounder Gregory Rousseau.

Most surprising pick: Northern Iowa's Spencer Brown is a mammoth human being and dominated the FCS competition. He also showed well at the Senior Bowl and truth be told, this pick isn't all that "surprising" because we had a mid-fourth-round grade on Brown, who adds much-needed depth to the Bills o-line."

Edited by chongli
  • Thank you (+1) 1