What will Beane do at CB?

1 hour ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Don’t think he values CB2. We’re going to spend the next 12 months with people mocking a CB to us and we probably won’t take one high next year

its not so much not valuing CB2, but I think he likes Levi and Dane. 

count me as one of the few here who like Levi. Playing CB2 is one of the hardest jobs. He is a solid player. I actually think he has room for improvement too.

35 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Key for me is D-line pressure. If they can get after QBs more effectively the secondary will look far better than last year because the QBs won't have as long to wait for someone to get open. 

We often hear about coverage sacks. You are correct the inverse of coverage sack is also true.

5 minutes ago, goldenboy81 said:

Just have a feeling wether it's Levi or player x,that the secondary will be alot better with a pass rush.

Exactly. Funny story: Bills Pass D was ranked 1 and 4 in 2018 & 2019, two years in which Levi Wallace started 7 and 16(!) games respectively. I'm standing by my running argument that 2020 was a weird year for our defense (and yet Bills still were 13-3 and a game from the Super Bowl).

I'm all for adding a veteran, but this attitude that the Bills are in dire shape at cornerback is silly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Exactly. Funny story: Bills Pass D was ranked 1 and 4 in 2018 & 2019, two years in which Levi Wallace started 7 and 16(!) games respectively. I'm standing by my running argument that 2020 was a weird year for our defense (and yet Bills still were 13-3 and a game from the Super Bowl).

I'm all for adding a veteran, but this attitude that the Bills are in dire shape at cornerback is silly. 

For me it's not that it's a dire situation but I feel it's a position we have very little depth.  If Tre goes down for any amount of time there will be a real struggle stopping people.

20 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

I wouldn't say we're in dire shape, but I think we could use more depth. 

We have:

• Tre White - #1, plays outside
  • Levi Wallace - maybe our #2, plays outside
  • Dane Jackson - maybe our #2, plays outside (I don't remember him getting slot reps last year)
  • Taron Johnson - #1 nickel
  • Siran Neal - depth, does a bit of both
  • Cam Lewis - unknown, only played a few games
  • Rachad Wildgoose - unknown

I wouldn't be surprised to see us add more depth to the position between now and the start of camp. If Tre were to go down, YIKES. 

Edited by junior12thman92
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, junior12thman92 said:

We have:

• Dane Jackson - maybe our #2, plays outside (I don't remember him getting slot reps last year)

I wouldn't be surprised to see us add more depth to the position between now and the start of camp. If Tre were to go down, YIKES. 

If an All Pro goes down at any position on any team it’s hard to replace.

14 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

If an All Pro goes down at any position on any team it’s hard to replace.

Even more so when you have as little depth at the position as we do. 

5 minutes ago, nucci said:

Wallace and Johnson are pretty good CB2s

Do you mean Jackson? Johnson only plays inside.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they will need to bring another vet into the fold but my strong belief is that Levi will start for them again.

😭 Right now it's the biggest weak spot that hasn't been addressed. I'd make a play for Sherman at this point. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Someone made the point on WGR that even going back to his Carolina days, McDermott has always just had a "get by" guy at CB2. It's strange, but there's enough proof in the pudding at this point that we shouldn't expect significant investment in the position. It's puzzling, because you feel like it would make a big difference, but McDermott seems to want to coach 'em up and strongly believes in his ability to do so.

2 hours ago, junior12thman92 said:

We have:

We have gone into every season under McDermott with low numbers at CB and a "Yikes" scenario if White goes down. At this point, it seems that it's a fact of life with this regime.

How many times in the championship game did Kelce just jog to an open spot in the zone and make a simple catch? How many times did we hear the Bills secondary needed to jam the WRs and stop letting them get a free release?

Levi, Dane, Taron...they don't have enough athleticism to press or play man. This is a weakness that will be exploited by good teams.

If you have guys that can get to the QB in 3 seconds, that's great. But it doesn't help a lot when the QB is getting rid of the ball in 2.5.

McDermott has shown a willingness to adapt his game and make adjustments to his style. The NFL passing game is changing. I think he will eventually start focusing on CB2 in the future. This year I think it's going to hurt us.

Anyway. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

Whatever Beane does, those that are currently disappointed will likely remain so... “it is the way”