What will Beane do at CB?

When asked after the draft why he didn't take a CB sooner, Beane began complimenting our CB's as you would expect. Then he added that there is still a lot of time before the season starts, implying that he wasn't done with addressing the position. The Dolphins have better CB's overall and the Pats have about half a dozen CB's at least as good and mostly better than our CB2.

If you were Beane, how you address the position? Do you stand pat and hope the pass rush gets a lot better? Do you let someone at a 'less important' position go to sign a FA? Are there any FA CB's you like? Would you look to trade draft capital as trade bait? Who would you target? Who would be a likely trade partner? Do you think a better, younger CB2 or slot CB is already in the fold?

What is your best approach?

• Eyeroll 1

21 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

When asked after the draft why he didn't take a CB sooner, Beane began complimenting our CB's as you would expect. Then he added that there is still a lot of time before the season starts, implying that he wasn't done with addressing the position. The Dolphins have better CB's overall and the Pats have about half a dozen CB's at least as good and mostly better than our CB2.

If you were Beane, how you address the position? Do you stand pat and hope the pass rush gets a lot better? Do you let someone at a 'less important' position go to sign a FA? Are there any FA CB's you like? Would you look to trade draft capital as trade bait? Who would you target? Who would be a likely trade partner? Do you think a better, younger CB2 or slot CB is already in the fold?

I wouldn’t worry what other teams are doing as this same team went 13-3 their secondary was fine it was as Beane addressed in the draft the defensive lines lack of pressure that was the biggest weakness on the team 

• Like (+1) 2

They've tried to replace Levi, but I don't think they're quite as dedicated to it as the fans are.. fans are too latched on to certain players and that THEY MUST AT ALL COSTS BE JETTISONED FROM THE TEAM OR THE DOOM OF THE WORLD WILL BE UPON US simply because they're not the 'best' or have holes in their game. 

If Dane Jackson can't beat him out for the job then it doesn't seem like the Bills staff is too concerned about him being their starter. 

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 5

Not really worried about it.  

They have enough guys right now to go ahead and play and be just fine.

They have weeks and months still and Vet guys to sign if they want more competition.

They have young kids, UDFAs, and others to mix in.

Most of all - I am not worrying about other teams DBs because they need more DBs to cover our much more talented WRs.  There are very few AFC teams that can roll 4-6 WRs to match what we are putting out and none in the East.

I would say relax and enjoy the ride.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, GreggTX said:

The Dolphins have better CB's overall and the Pats have about half a dozen CB's at least as good and mostly better than our CB2.

Might be true... how many points did we drop on those DB last year? We scored 87 points against Miami last year... 62 against New England. 

What changes have they made in the secondary that I’m supposed to be afraid of? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

I also feel that Dane Jackson will be the starter opposite Dre.  In his limited starts he looked good.  With a full season of conditioning and a better understanding of the playbook and scheme along with the coaching of Butler and Frazier he will be better then his rookie year

I know we picked up Warren G's son as an UFDA, but we got Dr. Dre, too? That's news to me! I guess Beane is trying to lock down a defensive backfield comprised entirely of 90's hip-hop DB's 🤔😂

• Like (+1) 1

It would be interesting to know the chances they would have taken Greg Newsome if he was there.   My feeling is given the way the draft fell, the CB value was not there and so now they will grab a vet on a one year deal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Fix the pass rush and Levi Dane etc are all serviceable. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t think the Bills can afford to do much of anything at this point due to their cap situation.  They sure could use some upgrades though because beyond Tre all they have are 2 or 3 serviceable players.  It looks like they think that will do the job with their scheme.  That wouldn’t have been my plan, but it looks like it’s theirs and we’re going to see how it works out. 

7 minutes ago, mattynh said:

It would be interesting to know the chances they would have taken Greg Newsome if he was there.   My feeling is given the way the draft fell, the CB value was not there and so now they will grab a vet on a one year deal.

I’d think the Bills would have run that card up if Newsome somehow made it to 30.  I know the Browns were very surprised he made it to 26.  They were very much hoping one of the top 4 CBs would make it to them, but weren’t expecting it.  I was a little surprised the Bills didn’t make a move up for him or even another player.  30 was a bad spot to be picking in this draft.  

• Like (+1) 1

There are still two decent remaining options (at least) remaining on the free agent market:

Richard Sherman and Casey Heyward

I would like them to go after one of those vets.  But I think it's just as likely we grab someone even cheaper at the vet minimum.

As someone else said, I'm starting to believe Sean McDermott does not value the #2 corner position.  He knows teams are going to play away from Tre White, and just wants someone who can tackle.  Every other position on the roster has been aggressively addressed either in the draft or free agency.  That spot has been either filled by an UDFA (Levi Wallace), Day 3 Pick (Dane Jackson) or low-level signing (EJ Gaines, Josh Norman, Kevin Johnson).

• Agree 1

giphy.gif

I think they know exactly where they stand at CB and will treat it like any other position. If someone becomes available that they feel is and improvement they will target them. If not they will roll with what they have. Wouldn't shock me to see Josh Norman brought back if they feel they need another vet. 

• Agree 1