2012 Buffalo Bills Defining Moments

Bills 2012 Moments

Coming into the 2012 season their were high expectations perhaps the highest since the Bledsoe era that the Bills could/would make the playoffs. With the addition of Mario Williams, a solid draft, and an offense that showed a decent level of competence plus an easier schedule optimism ran high. Instead the season was a massive failure and highlighted the Bills lack of depth and coaching.

Week 1 at New York Jets, 48-28 loss: In the debut of Mario Williams on defense the Bills were run out of the building. The defining moment came 5 minutes into to second quarter as Jeremy Kerley of the Jets (And Future Bill! Lol) scored on a 68 yard punt return. That put the Bills down 21-0 and they never could recover.

Week 2 Kansas City Chiefs, 35-17 win: Reversing their poor play from the week earlier the Bills trounced the Chiefs with CJ Spiller virtually unstoppable. Highlighting what would be Spillers breakout season was a 37 yard run from midfield. He would score three play later as cementing his role in the offense.

Week 3 at Cleveland Browns, 24-14 win: In a boring affair that the Bills won Ryan Fitzpatrick hits Stevie Johnson from 9 yards out for a TD with 9:08 left to put the Bills up 24-14.

Week 4 New England Patriots, loss 52-28: In a game to see where they stood against the top of the AFC the Bills faltered. There are two defining moments the first is up 14-7 with 1:14 to go in the second with then all on the Patriots 3 yard line CJ Spiller runs the ball up the middle but fumbles costing the Bills any points and chance of a two score lead. The second moment with the Patriots pressing after tying the game at 21-21 Brady hits Gronk wide open in the middle for a 28 yard TD and a 28-21 lead. The Patriots keep getting stronger from here and the Bills keep spinning their wheels in 4th quarter.

Week 5 at San Francisco 49ers, 45-3 loss: The Patriots 

loss hangovers badly as the Bills get beaten badly by the future NFC champions. Down 10-3 with under 40 seconds left in the 2nd quarter the Bills are trying to move the ball for some pts. Ryan Fitzpatrick hits Scott Chandler for a 1st down past the Bills 35 yard line when he is hit and fumbles. The 49ers score on the next play and never look back.

Week 6 at Arizona Cardinals, 19-16 OT win: A reeling Buffalo team wins a gutsy effort by a shamed defense. Arizona Kicker Jay Feely who had hit a 61 yard FG less then a minute earlier to tie the game with two minutes left, shanks the GW kick allowing the game to go to overtime where Buffalo wins on a FG.

Week 7 Tennessee Titans, 35-34 loss: After the win in Arizona hope remained that despite two bad losses the Bills could still be a wild card team especially with a weaker Titans team coming in. The game ended up being a fun high scoring battle with Buffalo seemingly in control with 3:03 to go. On 3rd and 7 at mid field Fitzpatrick throws a badly under thrown duck to the sideline which the Titans intercept. The Titans scored on 4th and 9 in the red zone with a minute to go to win the game. 

At this point in the season this loss really felt like the team was toast and any playoff chances were gone and the management/coach probably were going to be overhauled. In my eyes it took just 7 weeks to see it wasn’t going to work with this coach or group.

Week 9 at Houston Texans, 21-9 loss: Coming out of the bye the Bills played a good Texans team. The defense actually played decent... the offense stunk. With under 12 mins to play the Texans on 3rd and 2 at midfield got a 36 yard pass play with Matt Schaub finding Andre Johnson. That broke the Bills defense which had kept Houston limited most of the game as the Texans scored a few plays later to increase their lead to 21-9.

Week 10 at New England Patriots, 37-31 loss: The Bills at 3-5 needed a win to even be in the hunt for the playoffs. The Bills put a up a spirited effort and were driving to win on the Patriots 15. After just having Scott Chandler miss catching a TD, Fitzpatrick threw an interception in the right side of end zone intended for TJ Graham costing the Bills the game. In post game it was learned Graham ran the wrong route on the play.

Week 11 Miami Dolphins, 19-14 win: In the Bills only night game of the season they hosted the Miami Dolphins on Thursday Night Football. Leodis McKelvin had a beautiful 79 yard punt return for a TD, but the Bills offense wasn’t able to ice the game forcing the defense to make a play. Up 19-14 Jarius Byrd made a spectacular interception on Ryan Tannehill with 50 seconds left to end the game as the Dolphins has no timeouts lefts.

Week 12 at Indianapolis Colts, 20-13 loss: at 4-6 if the Bills could win this game they still had a small playoff chance as their schedule eased up and the conference was weak. Despite another week where the defense played decent, the offense again was limited. Down 20-13 with 5 mins left in the game the Bills had the ball driving in Colts territory. Fitzpatrick threw a pass to Stevie Johnson on the Colts 24 which got intercepted. The Colts actually fumbled it back to the Bills on the return, but Buffalo went 3 and out. 

Week 13 Jacksonville Jaguars, 34-18 win: By this point the question wasn’t playoffs but whether the coaching staff even would make another year. In a torrential rain storm the Bills offense finally had a great game with running game putting up 232 yds. With under 2 mins left in the 1st half and the Bills up 14-10 the Jaguars tried to mount a drive. Jags QB Chad Henne on 1st and 10 from his own 20 got strip sacked by Mario Williams with the Bills recovering the ball. Ryan Lindell kicked a FG from 30 yds out as the Bills scored 20 straight pts.

Week 14 St Louis Rams, 15-12 loss: In another wintery mess of a game the Bills choked away a 12-0 lead in the fourth quarter allowing Rams rookie QB Sam Bradford to score 15 pts in the fourth quarter for the Rams win. Up 3-0 with the first half closing down Rams QB Sam Bradford throws an interception to Bills CB Stephon Gilmore who goes 62 yds for a TD... except Bills LB Kyle Moore got a holding penalty. The Bills did get a FG but up only 6-0 felt brutal given the conditions and the offenses inability to get TDs.

Week 15 Seattle Seahawks in Toronto, 50-17 loss: The Bills got curbstopped and the writing was on the wall that head coach Chan Gailey just wasn’t the guy to lead the Bills forward. Cementing the Bills destruction was Russel Wilson’s third rushing touchdown of the 1st half on 13 yard run through the Bills defense to put Seattle up 31-7.

Week 16 at Miami Dolphins, 24-10 loss: In what turned into a very forgettable season the Bills showed no pulse or care losing on the road in Miami. Reggie Bush had 107 total yards and 3 TDs for Miami. His 12 yard TD catch early in the 3rd quarter put Miami up 21-3 and that was the game.

Week 17 New York Jets, 28-9 win: In head coach Chan Gailey final game the Bills sent him off with a win as CJ Spiller had the big play early on to cement the Bills win. Early in the 2nd quarter Spiller caught a screen pass and went 66 yards for a Bills TD. That was pretty much all the Bills needed as they coasted to victory with by their first victory over the Jets since 2009.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

After 17 consecutive years of bad football, let’s enjoy the good years we’re currently experiencing! I appreciate the time and effort on the subject, but I’d much rather forget those years and enjoy the present day team. Go Bills!

Corta, you’re asking for this abuse.  I told you to use the old Star Trek time warp and get us to 2017, but nooooo.  If you really want to do this, why not go back to the post Kelly days as the late 90’s were still somewhat fun in that we had a glimmer of hope with Flutie.  I know most love the Kelly days, or for the old coots (Shaw, Chandler, too easy youngins) the 60’s championship years.

Why are you obsessed with going game by game of the crap years?  It was hard enough watching the first time having you’re heart ripped out year after year.

I was at that game in San Francisco, it was brutal, but I will say the niners fans were incredibly nice, by half time they bought me about 5 beers because the Bills were so embarrassing and they felt bad I drove nine hours to watch my team get destroyed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, chris heff said:

Really? Shall I recap 1968 for you? 1-12-1 only win was over the Jets.

LOL - 1968 was a great year for me as a Bills fan: I went to my very first game. Hard to believe memories from a 48-6 loss are good ones, but they are.

• Like (+1) 1

I was at the game in Arizona.  Also a brutal affair - and the Bills won!  It was a battle of attrition of two bad teams trying to give the game away to the each other.  The Bills sucked just a little bit less than the Cardinals did that day.  The tailgate, however, was fantastic.  Tons of Bills fans, both ex-pats living in AZ and many who came down to AZ for game.

13 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Corta, you’re asking for this abuse.  I told you to use the old Star Trek time warp and get us to 2017, but nooooo.  If you really want to do this, why not go back to the post Kelly days as the late 90’s were still somewhat fun in that we had a glimmer of hope with Flutie.  I know most love the Kelly days, or for the old coots (Shaw, Chandler, too easy youngins) the 60’s championship years.

Why are you obsessed with going game by game of the crap years?  It was hard enough watching the first time having you’re heart ripped out year after year.

For two reasons:

1. for some of us it allows us to appreciate the team more and the fact they are not moving.

2. for the stories of people at different games that are fun to here or things I/other didn't know. Sure there early part of the decade 10/11/12 really sucked a lot, but there were fun moments and times still. 2013 I was at the game EJ got the GW TD to Stevie. He may not have been the guy but it was still a fun moment.

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I was at the game in Arizona.  Also a brutal affair - and the Bills won!  It was a battle of attrition of two bad teams trying to give the game away to the each other.  The Bills sucked just a little bit less than the Cardinals did that day.  The tailgate, however, was fantastic.  Tons of Bills fans, both ex-pats living in AZ and many who came down to AZ for game.

I've heard Zona is a cool game experience from people who have went there.

5 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

LOL - 1968 was a great year for me as a Bills fan: I went to my very first game. Hard to believe memories from a 48-6 loss are good ones, but they are.

My favorite tailgate I've done was the 2018 Bills Bears 41-7 wipeout. May have been a loss but we had the time of our lives

I'm not sure if the OP felt the need to clean out skeletons or something but it was definitely one of the most disappointing seasons I remember as a fan.  The 2019 Jets opening day win felt like some revenge for the 2012 opener against the Jets.  

Although everything outside of the Buffalo Bills was better overall in 2012 than 2020 imo.  

39 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Bills had defining moments in 2012? 

I do actually recall Stevie became the first Bills receiver that year to get 1,000 or more yards receiving 3 years in a row.  Not even Andre Reed can say that.

At the time he was the only Bill to do so.   I still think that stands?

5 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Bills had defining moments in 2012? 

Lol can’t argue here. The hype going into the season with Mario, then offense thought of being competent, and a schedule which looked easier evaporated three quarters into the season. Spiller was fun and Stevie was good.... yeaaa. Actually the TNF game was cool and looked great on TV

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Someone actually took the time to write all this stuff for something that happened almost 9 years ago for a team that sucked??

Yep and got 8 more seasons to go! I am also incredibly bored with football until the seasons starts so this is my thesis for the summer lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I for one thank you for this. I don’t remember much of the games if you asked me, but then the descriptions you give brings me right back. 

It helps me appreciate even more where we are now.

And yeah while the overall season was a big disappointment there were still some good memories 

I remember that Thursday night game and the nfl crew I think all picked the dolphins, and everyone booed the hell out of the cast when they came out. They looked miserable sitting there in the cold lol

• Thank you (+1) 1