So, what's the plan at RB?

50 minutes ago, Doc said:

Sure, balance on offense would be nice and I'm hoping that the stable of RBs the Bills have will give them an effective rushing attack.  But this idea that Josh only became a good passer because of no crowd noise isn't borne-out by any statistics. 

I didn't say 'only', but I think it's been obvious that crowd noise can hurt an offense, specifically the passing game.  If you're on the road in Seattle with no fans, your offense likely will do better than if it was a full stadium.  That's all I'm saying.

22 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

The YPC comparison isn't really valid.   Defenses were more run heavy in those days.   Last year, defenses only sent out 3 or more LBs on 24% of snaps.   The LBs who do get on the field these days are generally better in coverage but worse at tackling than the LBs in Thurman's day.  But mostly we're asking Moss to break tackles of sleight CBs.

You allude to the other shortcoming of the comparison.   The 90s Bills ran a lot.   This meant opponents actually schemed to stop Thurman.   Count the number of DBs that Josh was looking down last season.  Defenses had no respect for our run game.   Nearly every defender out there was a pass rusher or pass coverage guy.  

This is a fair argument.  I know some teams actually have a budget for each position group.  I get the impression that Bean has decided to prioritize his financial and draft capital on throwing the ball and stopping our opponents from throwing on us.

I feel like “In Summary” should be writing this post. But instead I’ll write it. :)

In summary, Thurman had one factor improving his average yards per carry (much better OL), and two factors decreasing the average (run oriented offense and more LBs). I’m not sure how all that balances out. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, klos63 said:

I didn't say 'only', but I think it's been obvious that crowd noise can hurt an offense, specifically the passing game.  If you're on the road in Seattle with no fans, your offense likely will do better than if it was a full stadium.  That's all I'm saying.

Sure it can hurt, but hurts everyone.  My point is that no marginal QB was helped by the lack of crowd noise last year, meaning Josh truly joined the elite on his own.  And it wasn't necessarily directed at you as I've heard more than a few people use this excuse.

Edited by Doc

8 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

I feel like “In Summary” should be writing this post. But instead I’ll write it. :)

In summary, Thurman had one factor improving his average yards per carry (much better OL), and two factors decreasing the average (run oriented offense and more LBs). I’m not sure how all that balances out. 

Depends on whether each factor is weighed the same.

A full, semi-normal offseason is going to benefit both Singletary and Moss imo. Weight room, offseason workouts, Mini Camps, it's all going to make a difference. Does Singletary all of a sudden go from a 4.6 to a 4.45 guy? Highly unlikely. But when the season gets going, I am expecting two different players on the field. Throw in Breida who has that speed we didn't have before and I think our RB stable isn't as bad off as people make it out to be. 

• Like (+1) 1