So, what's the plan at RB?

Aside from what YOU think... we have 2 young RBs who have played well on occasion along with one newly acquired speedster.

To top it off we have a UDFA who looked really good in live action against the Dolphins and fan-favorite Christian Wade.

It wasn't a sexy draft but it didn't need to be. 

Give the RB corps another year and let's see what they can do. Our offense doesn't run through them, anyway.

If you listen closely, Beane will usually drop breadcrumbs that, combined with his actions, amount to a pretty good trail indicating his thinking

In Beane's post-season presser, he said straight out:

"I think it's so unfair to look at the running backs to point blame on the running game," he said. "Running the football is very complex and it's obviously the o-line, it's the tight ends, it's the receivers and if one guy doesn't make his block the play's probably dead."

That was a big breadcrumb pointing at his belief that many of the major problems with the running game lay elsewhere than with the backs.  He didn't totally absolve the backs: "I'm not saying there's no blame - sometimes the running back missed the hole", but he seemed to be identifying 1) blocking, both OL and TE 2) scheme 3) practice priorities "it's one of those things you got to practice, you got to emphasize and you got to work on it"

Then let's look at the Bills personnel changes:

-added 7 OLmen, plus 1 back from IR (3 FA, 3 draft picks, 1 UDFA)

-added 2 TE, plus 1 back from IR (1 FA, 1 draft pick)

-added 1 speedy RB (FA)

That indicates that their 2nd and 3rd and deep dive looks into the season matched his presser saying it's so unfair to look at the the running backs as to blame for the running game.  

Now, he also said frankly that none of our backs are a home-run threat, and that if you see an RB in the first who is a home run threat you take them.  But by their actions, whatever the price was to go up after Etienne, he clearly didn't think the juice was worth the squeeze for that particular guy.  If he fell to us, he'd take him, if they wanted (say) our 3rd this year and a 2nd next year, that was "Nope!".

So to answer your question, the plan at RB is probably to hope Breida is useful as a speed back, and to dress whichever 2 of the 3 backs looks best in camp along with Taiwan Jones (who would play RB in an emergency, and to hope a combination of improved guard play (either from guys who were here or new guys), improved TE blocking, and improved scheme and focus in practice give us a more reliable run game.

And it probably will against most teams.  Whether it will be enough against teams with the best DL remains TBD

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

They played it safe in the draft and it costs them. They are certainly not sold, they will be finding a RB as a stop gap for the year. 

Wish they had a live feed to the room when the Jags drafted Etienne.  Something I'll always wonder about.

3 hours ago, ChicagoRic said:

Right now the Bills have:

Singletary: I'm not sold on him.  

Moss: Also not sold on him.

Antonio Williams: Looked ok in spot duty, but only 12 carries.  Can he block?  Not sold on him.

Wade: Intriguing non football guy. Fast but old and still learning the game. Likely stuck on the practice squad again.

Breida:  JAG.

Taiwan Jones: Less than JAG

So far no UDFA RB's added.  

So what's the plan?  Will Oline pickups improve the run blocking?  Will they grab another team's castoff? Is there a Fred Jackson type UDFA just waiting to be signed?

The plan is Singletary, Moss, Brieda and Williams. The fact that you're not sold on them is totally irrelevant.

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

Daboll doesn't use RB's all that much, so does it really matter ?

With no crowd noise it was much easier to pass, especially with our offensive talent. If you can throw all day without issue(Seattle game), why bother running. I think we will be forced to run more as crowd noise on the road will make things a little more difficult for offenses around the league

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

3 headed rushing attack spearheaded by a pissed off, driven Motor Singletary who is tuned up and out to shut every doubter up.

Moss is an elite pass blocking RB with soft hands.

There might be 3 running backs in the NFL faster than Brieda 

And we throw it 70% of the time

The Bills will live and die with Allen's arm and legs. The running game is an after thought. As evident last year, the Bills can make deep run with Allen and Diggs. A running game or lack of like last year won't get them a super bowl appearance. 

7 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

They played it safe in the draft and it costs them. They are certainly not sold, they will be finding a RB as a stop gap for the year. 

What?

Save this one for the “worst takes” thread. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I don't believe RB is the huge problem some make it out to be. We aren't going to have a 1,000 yard rusher in this offense anyways. We'll do a high percentage of our run plays in passing formations to keep defenses honest. In any case, I'd like to keep DS and Breida regardless. If we do add a new #1 RB, I'd like a power runner to help close out games.

Right now....it is based on two things.....hope....and the fact that we pass the ball a whole lot more then we throw.

A couple of things

Devin looked promising in his first year.....maybe he regressed?  Possibly.   There is also the possibility that his blocking wasnt that good.   I think Moss has passed him up in the rotation anyway which leads me to

Moss.....Moss was starting to put it together right about the time he got hurt last year......he wasnt bad before that just not bellcow.   He does something that McD really likes....he is a VERY good pass protection blocker.....he also catches the ball pretty well

The addition to the group in Breida was actually a highly regarded player and free agent before he went to Miami last year and got buried for some reason.    I personally think the combo of Moss and Brieda could be interesting because one brings the hammer and one brings the speed.

But regardless you see the plan....we didnt draft a RB.   This IS your group.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Keep um and roll with them. Singletary is going in on a “prove it” type of gig. It’s Moss’s second year give him a chance. Still have Yeldon who they really underutilized. Bring in a speedy guy like Breida.

Don’t sleep on Wade and Antonio Williams who were on the practice squad last year. 

8 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

It happened in the playoff game vs the Colts, but he also had his ankle literally broken on the play, so the premise of the post you’re responding to is BS.

Oh jeez. He literally broke his ankle on the play. The player who doesn’t fumble on a play like that is a truly rare breed. Please add context to posts like this.

The fumble everyone is talking about happened early in the 49ers game near the goal line. He didnt get injured on the play. Shoot he might not have been touched. He was looking to make a move before securing the handoff. Pretty sure it was incorrectly credited to Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

It will be some combination of Breida, Singletary and Moss with 2 dressing for any given game.  Not sold?  Its not for sale, it is what it is.  They can be successful with these guys if they choose to commit more to the run.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you listen closely, Beane will usually drop breadcrumbs that, combined with his actions, amount to a pretty good trail indicating his thinking

In Beane's post-season presser, he said straight out:

"I think it's so unfair to look at the running backs to point blame on the running game," he said. "Running the football is very complex and it's obviously the o-line, it's the tight ends, it's the receivers and if one guy doesn't make his block the play's probably dead."

That was a big breadcrumb pointing at his belief that many of the major problems with the running game lay elsewhere than with the backs.  He didn't totally absolve the backs: "I'm not saying there's no blame - sometimes the running back missed the hole", but he seemed to be identifying 1) blocking, both OL and TE 2) scheme 3) practice priorities "it's one of those things you got to practice, you got to emphasize and you got to work on it"

Then let's look at the Bills personnel changes:

-added 7 OLmen, plus 1 back from IR (3 FA, 3 draft picks, 1 UDFA)

-added 2 TE, plus 1 back from IR (1 FA, 1 draft pick)

-added 1 speedy RB (FA)

That indicates that their 2nd and 3rd and deep dive looks into the season matched his presser saying it's so unfair to look at the the running backs as to blame for the running game.  

Now, he also said frankly that none of our backs are a home-run threat, and that if you see an RB in the first who is a home run threat you take them.  But by their actions, whatever the price was to go up after Etienne, he clearly didn't think the juice was worth the squeeze for that particular guy.  If he fell to us, he'd take him, if they wanted (say) our 3rd this year and a 2nd next year, that was "Nope!".

So to answer your question, the plan at RB is probably to hope Breida is useful as a speed back, and to dress whichever 2 of the 3 backs looks best in camp along with Taiwan Jones (who would play RB in an emergency, and to hope a combination of improved guard play (either from guys who were here or new guys), improved TE blocking, and improved scheme and focus in practice give us a more reliable run game.

And it probably will against most teams.  Whether it will be enough against teams with the best DL remains TBD

As Buffalo Bills fans, we have a history of all-time great running backs (Cookie Gilchrist, OJ Simpson, Thurman Thomas).  Even during the playoff drought, we had two potential future Hall of Famers on the roster (Marshawn Lynch, LeSean McCoy), a couple first round picks (Willis McGahee, CJ Spiller) and the extremely popular Fred Jackson.  Then you have Travis Henry, who ran for 1400 and 1300+ in back to back years.

It's tough for people in this city to accept the facts, because for so many years THIS POSITION was pretty much all we had on offense.

Outside of fantasy football, the running back position just isn't that important anymore.

You need to go back 7 years before you find a Super Bowl Champion where an individual running back (Seattle/Lynch) was the primary attack of the offense.  Then probably another 10 years before you find one again (Pittsburgh/Jerome Bettis).  The Patriots dominated the last two decades with a by-committee approach, where backs are expendable and exchangeable depending on gameplan.  The RBs with the rings over the last 20-25 years are guys like LeGarrette Blount, Damien Williams, CJ Anderson and Sony Michel.

The guys the Bills have on their roster can be effective, with better blocking up-front and a better gameplan for getting them involved.  I'm not worried about this position in the slightest.

Edited by mjt328
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Your have Lev Bell and Todd Gurley out there. Would they accept a part time role? Neither seem like feature backs anymore. but maybe they could excel as receivers and third down backs? Gurley is only 27!

You have a Duke Johnson who is still out there and I am sure could help. I like his explosiveness and think he would be a good fit. 

To me, I like Rex Burkhead. He is a really good special teamer, is used to a part time role, and excels in a part time role and as a situational player. Plus he is a leader. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I don't believe RB is the huge problem some make it out to be. We aren't going to have a 1,000 yard rusher in this offense anyways. We'll do a high percentage of our run plays in passing formations to keep defenses honest. In any case, I'd like to keep DS and Breida regardless. If we do add a new #1 RB, I'd like a power runner to help close out games.

I hope between the new tackle (for tackle eligible plays), and some increased competition at guard/center (lamp, douglas, healthy ford) that there is a better plan for short yardage than QB sweeps.  They don't work that well and allen tends to have ball security issues on designed runs more than QB scrambles.  

Running the ball more effectively in general is important, and its clear that they struggle to get into a rhythm when they are in a pass heavy game.  While some of the linemen offer superior pass protection skills, its clearly not been a major upgrade in the run game.  Williams, Boettger, Morse all were not good enough as run blockers and it was usually backside players who were blowing up runs to the opposite side.  Same goes with the tight ends - they need to get those backside ends and linebackers slowed down enough so that they can't come in and break up zone rushes.  Its the big difference between a loss/no gain, and 5 plus. 

Moss is built well for a zone rushing attack as he has the juice to turn 3 into 5, and he's a solid 1 cut runner with enough speed.  Singletary seems more likely a better fit for a power style of attack where he's more heads up into tacklers and can dance a bit more.  Morse and the guards in 2019 had some solid execution on these plays with singletary as its a bit more of a block your man situation - pulling players know who to block etc.  

Edited by dneveu
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Right now....it is based on two things.....hope....and the fact that we pass the ball a whole lot more then we throw.

A couple of things

Devin looked promising in his first year.....maybe he regressed?  Possibly.   There is also the possibility that his blocking wasnt that good.   I think Moss has passed him up in the rotation anyway which leads me to

Moss.....Moss was starting to put it together right about the time he got hurt last year......he wasnt bad before that just not bellcow.   He does something that McD really likes....he is a VERY good pass protection blocker.....he also catches the ball pretty well

The addition to the group in Breida was actually a highly regarded player and free agent before he went to Miami last year and got buried for some reason.    I personally think the combo of Moss and Brieda could be interesting because one brings the hammer and one brings the speed.

But regardless you see the plan....we didnt draft a RB.   This IS your group.

I think the scheme wasn't as good a fit for singletary.  He's going to need reps to get better on the outside zone stuff if that's what buffalo is trying to run.  But generally the offensive line isn't good at it so I'm not sure why we ran it so much. 

Breida is an interesting case - he's always a change of pace guy as he's somewhat undersized, but he brings some speed to the position.  I won't fully ignore miami's failure to utilize him at all, but they have a pretty poor offensive line.  He also had 2 fumbles in under 70 touches - which tends to put you in the dog house.  

8 hours ago, klos63 said:

The plan is Singletary, Moss, Brieda and Williams. The fact that you're not sold on them is totally irrelevant.

With no crowd noise it was much easier to pass, especially with our offensive talent. If you can throw all day without issue(Seattle game), why bother running. I think we will be forced to run more as crowd noise on the road will make things a little more difficult for offenses around the league

Josh has performed better on the road than at home.  This may be more weather related but certainly it's not supportive of a "crowd noise" problem.