So, what's the plan at RB?

1 hour ago, ChicagoRic said:

Right now the Bills have:

Singletary: I'm not sold on him.  

Moss: Also not sold on him.

Antonio Williams: Looked ok in spot duty, but only 12 carries.  Can he block?  Not sold on him.

Wade: Intriguing non football guy. Fast but old and still learning the game. Likely stuck on the practice squad again.

Breida:  JAG.

Taiwan Jones: Less than JAG

So far no UDFA RB's added.  

So what's the plan?  Will Oline pickups improve the run blocking?  Will they grab another team's castoff? Is there a Fred Jackson type UDFA just waiting to be signed?

writes off singletary, moss and Breida but thinks the answer would be a UDFA....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Pro Football Reference and NFL.com have him for zero fumbles.  What's the 1 of which you mention?

It happened in the playoff game vs the Colts, but he also had his ankle literally broken on the play, so the premise of the post you’re responding to is BS.

26 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

Moss had a fumble last year. I very bad fumble

Oh jeez. He literally broke his ankle on the play. The player who doesn’t fumble on a play like that is a truly rare breed. Please add context to posts like this.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Singletary dropped a pass. He's a plenty good back. 2019 was excellent for a rook. Last year was solid, good ypc considering and often got stopped a yard or 2 behind the LOS, which is mostly out of his control. Moss looks nice too. They play an offensive scheme which most often rolls out 4 WR's on the field and no TE. If not then 3 WR's and 1 TE. Running the ball for the Bills is a matter of creating balance or perceived balance. This backfield group they have is plenty well equipped to achieve what this offense needs out of them.

Edited by 34-78-83
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChicagoRic said:

So what's the plan?  Will Oline pickups improve the run blocking?  Will they grab another team's castoff? Is there a Fred Jackson type UDFA just waiting to be signed?

Hard for a Fred Jackson type UDFA to be found with all of the non-college places to get experience.

This is something the NFL should think about.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Bunch of doom and gloom for nothing.

Two starting guards will return healthy to the lineup, an actual training camp will happen, Daboll will commit to fixing the running game, and the run game will be just fine.

Go back and watch the Chargers and Patriots game. Moss and Singletary are good players. 

I’m willing to bet that come the end of this season, not a soul will be talking about run game troubles. All the fervor to replace Moss and Singletary (two talented third round picks who’ve played three seasons between them) will seem like a distant memory. 

• Like (+1) 2

RB is our weakness but the three will rotate and they will go with the hot hand depending on the game. I would expect the game by game breakdown will be dictated by the defense we are playing. It would be beneficial if we recognize that if our running backs combine for 1800 yards total this year that it could be 600 each, so a good team stat but not real impressive individual.

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

You forget Breida. I think it's going to be a running by committee approach like last season. Yet Breida could be active game days when Yeldon wasn't since does give us an added speed dimension. I'm also looking for Devin to bounce back to get about 600 yards rushing yards.

I think having Breida, Moss and Motor all active will depend on whether they find a gunner to take Taiwan Jones' responsibility who is also a position player backup. 

Maybe Wildgoose? 

2 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I was very impressed by 35 as well. Would love to see more of him. 

I think judging by the draft they think the oline may be at fault, partially. 

glad we got backup O linemen then.   there is a strategy here, not sure what, and it’s unconventional and I doubt it works (hope it does). 

31 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Whatever the plan at RB may be (I think we're fine on that front) the backup plan of passing for a gazillion yards per game seemed to work pretty well last year.

yeah, until the playoffs.  

Just now, frostbitmic said:

Daboll doesn't use RB's all that much, so does it really matter ?

that’s part of the problem.   D’d like LC and Cle and Indy and Balt can just tee off on Allen now.  you need a functional running game to make the D honest. 

Last season the Bills changed their blocking scheme in a way which helped Moss and harmed Singletary. Maybe Singletary adapts to the new blocking scheme. If not I figure it will be Moss as the starter and Breida as the change of pace/speed back. 

This past season Moss averaged 4.3 yards per carry, while earning a perfect track record as a blocker. The career average for Thurman Thomas is 4.2 yards a carry, and Thomas played behind a much better line. On the other hand the Bills offense of the Kelly era was run oriented, and that tends to decrease average yards per carry. While I do not consider Moss an elite player, I think all three of him, Breida, and Singletary are solid. Much bigger problems on this team than RB. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think Moss has the head start in becoming lead back heading into this coming season.  

He’s the best runner we had last season, a reliable pass catcher and is elite in pass pro.  

Singletary has reportedly been working out like crazy, so (IMO) he will be battling against Breida for #2.  Breida should also have something to prove after being shelved in Miami last year.  

• Like (+1) 1