So, what's the plan at RB?

Right now the Bills have:

Singletary: I'm not sold on him.  

Moss: Also not sold on him.

Antonio Williams: Looked ok in spot duty, but only 12 carries.  Can he block?  Not sold on him.

Wade: Intriguing non football guy. Fast but old and still learning the game. Likely stuck on the practice squad again.

Breida:  JAG.

Taiwan Jones: Less than JAG

So far no UDFA RB's added.  

So what's the plan?  Will Oline pickups improve the run blocking?  Will they grab another team's castoff? Is there a Fred Jackson type UDFA just waiting to be signed?

Edited by ChicagoRic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 10
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

Antonio Williams: Looked ok in spot duty, but only 12 carries.  Can he block?  Not sold on him.

Wade: Intriguing non football guy. Fast but old and still learning the game. Likely stuck on the practice squad again. 

So what's the plan?  Will Oline pickups improve the run blocking?  Will they grab another team's castoff? Is there a Fred Jackson type UDFA just waiting to be signed?

You forget Breida. I think it's going to be a running by committee approach like last season. Yet Breida could be active game days when Yeldon wasn't since does give us an added speed dimension. I'm also looking for Devin to bounce back to get about 600 yards rushing yards.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

I THINK it is just the start of May.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

I think the plan is to not worry if you are sold or not.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 5

I would not be shocked if they brought in another veteran RB.  Could be someone like Bell, although I am not sure he has anything left or would be interested in playing for the Bills.

Isn't singletary (or moss) like the top rated blocking rb in the league?  I'll take "solid but not exciting" backs if they can help to open up the pass game like they did last year.

• Agree 1

Just now, Rew said:

Isn't singletary (or moss) like the top rated blocking rb in the league?  I'll take "solid but not exciting" backs if they can help to open up the pass game like they did last year.

singletary was ok but moss was excellent.   

In the limited role the Bills assigned Moss, he started to find his way as the season wore on until his injury. Keep in mind, a Rookie with no OTAs, no normal training camp, meetings were virtual up to camp and no Pre-Season games - it takes time. Then Feliciano was injured for the first five or six games, Ford was in and out and then season ending injured and Williams was learning a new Offense…maybe we can pump the brakes on the RB panic? 

I think Moss is going to be key, Breida is going to impress in his assigned role and Singletary will have a specified type of play or plays and the Offensive Line will get better just by a more normal Off-Season and continuity while getting healthier and ANOTHER year of the same Offense. 

Edit: that’s not even considering A. Williams who could be the next Arian Foster in terms of UDFA that really impresses. All the same Rookie issues for Moss were true for him and balled out against a highly rated Miami Defense when they needed the win…

Edited by BigBuff423
  • Like (+1) 7

11 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

They played it safe in the draft and it costs them. They are certainly not sold, they will be finding a RB as a stop gap for the year. 

So you think that we’re going to acquire a different RB that will be our lead back or split carries?

I think they may sign someone on the cheap to compete, but come the season, it’ll be Moss, Breida, Motor (and possibly Antonio Williams) with almost all of our RB carries

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Bills Fan of Maryland said:

Line is often overmatched when run blocking. Doesn't matter who the  back is... I like a Moss Bieda combo but there have to be holes to run through. Dodging the first tackler  behind the line or  in the hole wont get it done.

It’s not right or fair to blame the RB’s entirely for the lack of production. They need somewhere to go and it got worse as the year went on. Motor averaged like 4.8 ypc as a rookie. He’s not the only problem here. 

• Like (+1) 2

I’m actually cool with our group of backs. Breida adds that homerun threat we were looking for in the backfield. Our offense goes thru Josh and the receivers.....I never got the feeling we were drafting a RB after drafting one 2 straight seasons.

• Like (+1) 2