OldTimer's Draft Ramblings

As I have since the mid-1980s, I loved the run-up to this year's draft.

I am very happy that the Bills are now a contender and, as such, picked late in every round.  Therefore, the focus is not on immediate contributors for the upcoming season.

"Draft" terms that I've heard enough of:
1. "Chess Piece" and "Swiss Army Knife" - Being able to disguise your intentions on offense or defense is an advantage, but the players that provide that capability are pretty rare - think size of LB, speed/coverage of a DB or size of TE, speed of WR.  There are very few players who really provide this and I think it has become in-vogue to describe "tweeners" who aren't really WRs or TEs (or not really S or LBs) as these kind of players.  I think this was borne out in the draft where many of the guys describes as such lasted well into day 3.

2. "Big Nickel" - See above.  Nickel D takes a LB off the field in favor of a DB with better coverage ability and therefore generally weakens the D capability against the run.  No doubt that disguising coverages/defenses is an advantage (see above), but it is a really rare player who can play the run like a (real) LB and cover like a corner (or at least) a safety.  Many of the supposed "Big Nickels" lasted a long time on draft night.  

My $0.02 on the draft:

1. I think it is safe to assume that the Bills stayed pretty true to their draft board.  I am confident that they did not go into the draft planning to spend their first 4 picks on 2 DEs and 2 OTs.  I am quite sure that they were cognizant that CB2 was one of their higher "needs", as was a TE.  They know very well that Emmanuel Sanders is pretty old and that Cole Beasley isn't far behind - they also know that the offense is pass-first.  I'm pretty sure that they also know that Moss and Singletary are not speed-demons at RB.  I think that they would have addressed those positions if they thought that the value was better than (or equal to) who they did take.

2. I LOVE that they doubled up on DEs.  I know that I'm in the minority here, but I think that Carlos Basham is a player - he'll play the run and can rush the passer.  He isn't Von Miller, but I love his hustle and his ability to stand out on a team that was under-manned against most opponents.  I like the Rousseau pick as well.  I love to hear him say that he knows that he needs to get better at a lot of things- the physical tools are there and the desire appears to be there as well.

3. I am on-board with the Spencer Brown pick.  He is gigantic, seems to really want it and looked good from the things that I saw at the Senior Bowl.  Is he too tall?  I don't know, but he looked quick/fluid with tremendous arm length at the Senior Bowl.  

4.  Maybe this should have been first: I really enjoyed the draft discussions for the past several months.  I've been a draft fanatic since the mid-1980s and I read as much as I can from as many sources as I can on these prospects.  I do watch some of the game film (not highlight videos), but not nearly as many as some of the real draft mavens here.  Tip of the hat to those that do their own scouting and provide their educated opinions here!

5. After 35+ years of watching the draft, I think it is important for us, as fans, to realize that scouting is an inexact science and that every team (very likely) has a different draft board.  Media "scouts" and fun to read and some actually do their own film study and, a few, were real NFL scouts adding to their credibility.  Yet, their prospect rankings still do not consider individual team schemes/preferences, do not consider team needs and don't have the benefit of insider medical information nor character investigations.

So, thanks to everyone who has participated in these discussions - its been great fun!

• Like (+1) 22
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 7

I like how you say drafting is an inexact science. It’s cool to have opinions, but boy o boy some of these draft gurus are so full of themselves it’s so annoying. I don’t mean to exalt myself because really, I’ve missed on some picks as well, I mean horribly at times but there’s 2 players I felt really strongly about over the years: Josh Allen and Carlos Basham. At times I felt like certain posters here wanted to tar and feather me for liking these guys. I don’t know, the draft should be fun.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The draft is definitely a crap shoot.  Just look at the bust rate of first round picks alone.

I like the Bills draft.  I wanted a CB going into the draft but coming away with Rousseau and Basham with no trade up, I'll take that.  Hopefully Dane Jackson can rip CB2 out of Wallace's hands.

• Like (+1) 1

Well said.  I enjoyed reading your post more than I enjoyed the draft discussions.  😳

just kidding.  Worst part about the nfl draft is once it’s over, one of my favorite past times, scouting players and watching tape will much less enjoyable 

Edited by NewEra

23 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I like how you say drafting is an inexact science. It’s cool to have opinions, but boy o boy some of these draft gurus are so full of themselves it’s so annoying. I don’t mean to exalt myself because really, I’ve missed on some picks as well, I mean horribly at times but there’s 2 players I felt really strongly about over the years: Josh Allen and Carlos Basham. At times I felt like certain posters here wanted to tar and feather me for liking these guys. I don’t know, the draft should be fun.

I agree, and have to admit , dont watch  much of the actual draft  because of the "gurus " rambling .and , am like the OP, an old timer, draft has become too theatrical .. just like pre game shows..

Edited by dwight in philly
  • Like (+1) 2

Nice write up, you hit on several valid points that I agree with.👍

• Agree 1

I like the draft being a three day event, yes the production can be annoying (see commissioner’s leather chair), but it is less tedious that the Saturday marathon used to be. I watched NFL Network live (mostly) and recorded ESPN and ABC, only watched Bills picks on the latter two. Before Bills first pick Mel Kiper said Allen had to be both QB and RB, which tells me he never watched Bills. Since we actually watched the Bills you will recall that after about the forth game Allen pretty much stopped running the ball. Kiper also said Allen was like a single wing QB, which shows how little he knows about football. Having played in a single wing, the QB is the equivalent of today’s H back, mostly a blocker. Ball is snapped to the tailback in the shotgun. How do these guys have jobs? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ticketssince61 said:

How many of you remember the years when there were 17 rounds in one day (and you never heard of anybody aside from the 1st round picks)?

I remember, I think, reading it in the Buffalo News.  I did know that there were 17 rounds in the draft at one point.

One of the things that I think it’s kind of missed is just because we have positional needs on the team doesn’t mean that a quality player is there to address it I think when you address the lines you make the team better the game really is one in the trenches running backs cannot run if there is no holes you cannot win if you cannot pressure the passer things happen injuries happen what happens if God for bidFour instance a starting rotational defensive end gets hurt and is out for the season now because we play a rotation they have to make an adjustment do you not think the drafting defensive edge help won’t end up being a savior at that time we would be looking at Street free agents that may not be as good as the guys we just drafted who have upside and can get better

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

The draft is definitely a crap shoot.  Just look at the bust rate of first round picks alone.

I like the Bills draft.  I wanted a CB going into the draft but coming away with Rousseau and Basham with no trade up, I'll take that.  Hopefully Dane Jackson can rip CB2 out of Wallace's hands.

This team went 13-3 with Wallace as the CB2 he isn’t a tragic player, I do agree they were probably looking for something at CB but nothing was there at the value they wanted.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

Talk to us about Basham.  I see a Tasmanian devil who will cause all kinds of chaos.  But he’s older and athletically limited.  What do you like?

When I was doing mocks I had a CB, 1Tech, and a BPA in the first 3 rounds. If you would have told me we could of had JOK in the first , metifulu ( cuse CB) , and our pick of 1 tech’s I’d be pumped. We didn’t take any of them. How do I see it so different than Beane. This year I realized I have no idea how Beane is thinking. Last year I correctly called Moss & Davis but this year yikes 😬 

9 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

This team went 13-3 with Wallace as the CB2 he isn’t a tragic player, I do agree they were probably looking for something at CB but nothing was there at the value they wanted.

Tragic is your word.  I just want to upgrade CB2. 

3 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Tragic is your word.  I just want to upgrade CB2. 

I agree an upgrade could be used but I think Wallace is a mid level player at his position. I think if the pass rush improves a bit it can easily help the secondary.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

This year I realized I have no idea how Beane is thinking.

He's made his philosophy pretty clear: build through the draft and fill holes in free agency. After the draft, he said he's not done - there will be cuts, UDFAs, etc. That's where he'll fill as many holes as possible. Meanwhile, he's obtained a slew of rookies to provide cheap depth for a couple of years, after which they'll hopefully transition into starters.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Norman played some and made a couple of big plays.  He is correctly not resigned, but, Wallace didin't do it alone.  Likely a platoon w the two this year again.  I am worried about CB depth though.  Looking for another signing here.