1. Chiefs 2. Browns 3. Bills

Baker is Alex Smith with an attitude. 

That will win you a lot of games, and given the right circumstances, could win you a Super Bowl. 

Football is a funny thing. A bad snap and a muffed punt and it could be 14-0 in a single elimination scenario. Suddenly the other team is pressing and Cleveland can run the ball, rush the passer like crazy on dense and Baker can throw 19/20 for 200 yards and they can easily win that game. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

As mentioned before, Baker had three offensive systems in his first three years. Last season he didn’t even have a proper offseason to learn and practice this one.  He looked bad early, but finished strong.  Now he gets to, for the first time as a pro, stay in that same scheme for a second season.  Let’s see how he does with that before passing judgement. 

I can agree with the idea that Mayfield could improve with more time in the system but a more important point is to look at how the Stefanski introduced a run first system knowing that Mayfield would be his QB.  They don't think it's a good recipe for him to be controlling the game with his arm which is telling in a league that is more and more reliant on throwing.  Good luck paying him as a top quarterback when your system is designed to deemphasize the QB. 

54 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Baker is Alex Smith with an attitude. 

That will win you a lot of games, and given the right circumstances, could win you a Super Bowl. 

Football is a funny thing. A bad snap and a muffed punt and it could be 14-0 in a single elimination scenario. Suddenly the other team is pressing and Cleveland can run the ball, rush the passer like crazy on dense and Baker can throw 19/20 for 200 yards and they can easily win that game. 

Teams have tried winning that way for years. The margin for error in the NFL is too thin to be a consistent winning team without a top quarterback.

26 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Teams have tried winning that way for years. The margin for error in the NFL is too thin to be a consistent winning team without a top quarterback.

True, it isn't the way I would want to do it, but if you keep getting to the playoffs you just never know.

A flag that is not thrown (CLE/KC), a flag that is thrown (GB/TB), a bad snap at the wrong time (CLE/PIT) and the entire game can change. 

I wouldn't bet on a team like CLE or BAL winning it all, because as you said the margin is small, but if a couple breaks go their way they can absolutely win it all. 

The more talented team doesn't always in a single elimination scenario. Both Cleveland and Baltimore have plenty of talent, but also can become extremely dangerous if a few things go their way in a given game. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

2021 Browns schedule besides Steelers 2x, Ravens 2x, Bengals 2x. 

Cardinals-@Patriots-@Vikings-@Chargers-@Chiefs-@Packers-Texans-Lions-Bears-Raiders-Broncos. 

Cleveland has the #9th toughest schedule in 2021. 

https://fbschedules.com/cleveland-browns-schedule/

Unless Baker Mayfield hits another level I don't see Cleveland making the playoffs in 2021. JMO

I count double digit wins there pretty easily. Cleveland is making the playoffs.

The way people are acting as if the Browns have won anything yet makes me want them to fall on their collective asses tbh. And I like the Browns, it just seems like the "team that wins the offseason" almost always disappoints.

6 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

The way people are acting as if the Browns have won anything yet makes me want them to fall on their collective asses tbh. And I like the Browns, it just seems like the "team that wins the offseason" almost always disappoints.

No one is acting like the Browns have won anything.  The message I’ve received from those not hating on the browns:  it looks like the Browns have done an incredible job acquiring talent.  Some say that they have bypassed the Bills in talent, but still need to get it done on the field. I haven’t seen anyone say they’ve done anything but “win the offseason”.  The media is saying a lot of the same.  People love what the Browns did in the draft and offseason all together.  

I’ve always hated cleveland teams in every sport, but I have high grades on a lot of the players that they’ve acquired.  The run game is for real and Baker has the tools to “be good enough” to win a SB if the team is talented enough, imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billsrul120 said:

I can agree with the idea that Mayfield could improve with more time in the system but a more important point is to look at how the Stefanski introduced a run first system knowing that Mayfield would be his QB.  They don't think it's a good recipe for him to be controlling the game with his arm which is telling in a league that is more and more reliant on throwing.  Good luck paying him as a top quarterback when your system is designed to deemphasize the QB. 

Stefanski prioritized the run in Minnesota too. And Chubb is a top tier RB, as is Hunt. It would be stupid to NOT prioritize the run. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I count double digit wins there pretty easily. Cleveland is making the playoffs.

Yeah I think so too. Curious how Baker does still though. Still don't see him doing quite enough myself. We'll see....

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

No one is acting like the Browns have won anything.  The message I’ve received from those not hating on the browns:  it looks like the Browns have done an incredible job acquiring talent.  Some say that they have bypassed the Bills in talent, but still need to get it done on the field. I haven’t seen anyone say they’ve done anything but “win the offseason”.  The media is saying a lot of the same.  People love what the Browns did in the draft and offseason all together.  

I’ve always hated cleveland teams in every sport, but I have high grades on a lot of the players that they’ve acquired.  The run game is for real and Baker has the tools to “be good enough” to win a SB if the team is talented enough, imo. 

Not people here, silly. I'm talking about pundits, like Keyshawn Johnson.

3 hours ago, cle23 said:

Stefanski prioritized the run in Minnesota too. And Chubb is a top tier RB, as is Hunt. It would be stupid to NOT prioritize the run. 

Passing is more valuable om a down to down basis than running.  If a team is prioritizing the run they either don't understand today's game or know that the QB is incapable.

39 minutes ago, billsrul120 said:

Passing is more valuable om a down to down basis than running.  If a team is prioritizing the run they either don't understand today's game or know that the QB is incapable.

Yes, passing is more valuable, to an extent. If you have the best online or close, and the best RB duo in the game, you run the ball. Period. Teams are built to stop the pass now, so if you can establish the run, you do. Also, if defense is a weakness, then running helps mask that to an extent. 

Edited by cle23

4 hours ago, Boxcar said:

Not people here, silly. I'm talking about pundits, like Keyshawn Johnson.

Idk.....i watch the majority of the daily talk shows on YouTube and I haven’t seen anyone crown them anything other than the winners of the offseason.  Not many have the Browns inside the top 4.  Many don’t even have them too 6-7.  

the Browns are being talked about more than us and the majority of the teams because they made splashy signings as they had more cap room.  We didn’t add much of anything new except Breida and Sanders in FA other than resigning our players (which isn’t deemed as splashy, even though they are very important).  The browns had a splashy draft.  We added several long term pieces that will pay dividends, mostly down the road.

14 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I agree.

In 2019 the 49ers had a dominating run game, they were #2 in attempts, #2 in rush yards, #1 in rush TDs.

In the first round of the playoffs beating Minnesota 27-10. Rushing 47 times for 186 2 TDs. Jimmy G, 11 of 19 for 131, 1 TD, 1 INT. 

Beating Green Bay 37-20 in the playoffs by rushing 42 of 285, 4TDs. Meanwhile...Jimmy G went 6 of 8 for 77 yards. 

Then ran into the Chiefs in the super bowl where they lost 31-20. The run game not as good in this game only rushing 22 times for 141, 1 TD. Although Jimmy G threw 31 times in this game he just couldn't get it done against that defense. 20 of 31 for 219 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT. 

A better QB would have won that SB. This and injuries are probably why the 49ers went after a new QB. JMO

That AFC North is a tough division and the 2020 Steelers had a +104 point differential. The Ravens had a +165 point differential. The Browns had a -11 point differential. 

In my view they played a rather weak 2020 schedule. The Browns Ranking 31st in strength of schedule 2020 http://powerrankingsguru.com/nfl/strength-of-schedule.php

I'll stand by what I said in that Cleveland doesn't make the playoffs in 2021 unless Mayfield hits another level. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/7/2021 at 1:44 PM, GoBills808 said:

Bills tried winning that way in 2015 with Rex, right? 

That was the blueprint, right? we got a top-4 defense, we're gonna bring in Greg Roman who took the 49ers to two conference championships and the Superbowl with a top-5 defense and top-5 rushing attack plus a bottom-of-the-league passing attack that was just effective enough to keep teams from playing the run.  So we'll bring in Shady McCoy, we'll use Tyrod Taylor as a dual threat QB who can throw a pretty nice deep ball to a wide-open WR.

The Bills went 9-7 and just missed the playoffs by one game the previous year with a #4 D and #18 offense, so it kind of made sense - if you can just improve the offense to middle-of-the-pack or better, you should be able to win 1-2 more games and "get ready, we're going!"

Well, we know how that story ended.  The offense improved from #18 to #12, but the defense plummeted from #4 to #15 (19th on yards).

To do the Browns justice, I think they have good coaching, strong defense, and a lot of offensive pieces.  But it all has to come together, and a re-focused Baker needs to take a step and be more consistent game to game.