1. Chiefs 2. Browns 3. Bills

1 minute ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I agree that was a game Browns should not have lost. But those kind of fluke win/losses happens sometimes.

Especially when the team doesn’t have one non practice squad WR suiting up

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Cmon man you’re really going to use THAT game as your example?  Their ENTIRE WR unit was out due to covid that game.  The Jets just sold out to stop the run and it was game over.  JaMarcus Bradley and Marvin Hall were their only WRs that game.....both players’ only game played with the browns all season.  

Right, actually totally forgot about that. That is a big reason a team will not perform well.

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Especially when the team doesn’t have one non practice squad WR suiting up

Lol yeah really. That slipped my mind. Hell, some may have had the Jets picked due to that.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

46 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I agree that was a game Browns should not have lost. But those kind of fluke win/losses happens sometimes.

That's the point though.  It's happened a lot before for the Browns.  And it has continued to happen under Stefanski.  Seems to me like it is a good bet to continue.

IMO, the Browns are much more likely to cough one up against Cincy than the Bills are to lose to the Jets.

2 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Here's a question for everyone, if it was the Bills instead of the Browns when PM went out that game....... Do you think the Bills D could have done better than the Browns D did against Chiefs QB2?

What difference does that make?  Are you building a team to beat Patrick Mahomes or Chad Henne?  

I don’t know who is better between the Bills and Browns, but I do feel strongly that the Browns are better equipped to beat the Chiefs.  They’ve got a pass rush that is capable of taking over games and enough offensive weapons to put a lot of points on the board.  The Bills can score, but they did nothing to slow down the Chiefs offense.  After the first play of the second half when Romo was talking about how the Bills will adjust and then Hill took a little hitch for about 30 yards, it was just a formality.

1 minute ago, Billl said:

What difference does that make?  Are you building a team to beat Patrick Mahomes or Chad Henne?  

I don’t know who is better between the Bills and Browns, but I do feel strongly that the Browns are better equipped to beat the Chiefs.  They’ve got a pass rush that is capable of taking over games and enough offensive weapons to put a lot of points on the board.  The Bills can score, but they did nothing to slow down the Chiefs offense.  After the first play of the second half when Romo was talking about how the Bills will adjust and then Hill took a little hitch for about 30 yards, it was just a formality.

Yeah.....after that play it was a formality..... lol.

18 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah.....after that play it was a formality..... lol.

It absolutely was.  The Chiefs had already scored 3 straight TDs, and the only success Buffalo had during the first half was when Hill dropped a 30 yard pass and then Hardman fumbled a punt on his own goal line.  The Bills had done absolutely nothing to slow down Kansas City, and their only chance was some incredible halftime adjustment which obviously didn’t happen.  The Chiefs kept right on scoring six straight times (5 TDs) going on a 38-6 run that put the game away.  It was clear at that point that Mahomes was comfortable executing the game plan, and that was that.

2 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

But just last year the Browns lost to the Jets (?!!!)  The second last game of the regular season with a lot on the line.  10-4 Browns with playoff hopes playing a totally in the bag Jets team.  Huge loss.

A very Brownsy loss done while under Stefanski.  Sure they had a couple of nice wins against Pitt, but they lost to the pathetic Jets.  Pretty much a text book example of inconsistent.

They got nailed by COVID contract tracing right before that game.  They literally had zero WRs and lost by 7 points. 

Edited by BarleyNY

3 hours ago, cle23 said:

I would call 2018 a wash just in terms of support. 2019 Mayfield had better weapons but way a worse coach and was playing in his third system in 2 years. That's more what I meant when I said he had a harder situation. He was changing coordinators and head coaches left and right. It's hard to get comfortable in a system when it's changing all the time.

Dude, when you have this diversity of posters telling you you're mistaken, your foot is truly in your mouth, and it's time to quit before you're nibbling so far up your own leg that you're busted for public indecency:

2 hours ago, chknwing334 said:

If you think 2018 is a wash in regard to supporting cast, you clearly don't understand how bad Kelvin Benjamin and Zay Jones were.  Bills fans would have killed for a "hit or miss" WR!  As much as I hate to compliment Landry, he is better than all of the Bills supporting cast from 2018 combined.  Clay was a shell of his former mediocre self.  

Allen had a horrible O line, WRs, TEs, and an aging RB that had lost a step or two.  

2019 Mayfield did have better weapons, but the Bills coaching and stability was starting to make up for the disparity in talent.  By 2020 we finally got to see Allen with a very good team around him and he had an MVP worthy season.

2 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Oh dear lord yes, was the absolute worst Josh had to work with that I can remember. Was torture watching that group with countless drop after drop after drop.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Chubb had 996 yards and 8 TDs.  Stop.  

The 2018 Bills was one of the worst collection of offensive playmakers in the last 20 years.  Kelvin Benjamin went from being our #1 WR to out of the league the following year......yeah......

Then look at our OL.  LG to RT-  Ducasse- Bodine- Miller- mills. 🤮 the worst OL I can remember us having in my life, which started 46 years ago.  

there’s no comparison.  Baker had more talent surrounding him on offense in 18 and 19.  There’s really no debate. 

2 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

Don’t forget Andre Holmes, WR. During the 2018 season Holmes appeared in 12 games for the Bills, including three starts. He was bad enough that the Bills released him before the end of the 2018 season. At the end of that 2018 season, Holmes exited the NFL. 

2 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

But just last year the Browns lost to the Jets (?!!!)  The second last game of the regular season with a lot on the line.  10-4 Browns with playoff hopes playing a totally in the bag Jets team.  Huge loss.

Been pointed out elsewhere that the Browns had all or most of their WR on the Covid list.  Believe they may have had limited facility access that week, as well, so limited opportunities for Mayfield to get in sync with the WR who remained.

Really can't pin that loss on the Browns or Stefanski.  The Jests basically pinned their ears back and smothered the run and said "I Dare You" on the passing.

On 5/2/2021 at 12:58 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

I could have added some more responses from above as well, but if your only argument is that Josh Allen is better than Baker Mayfield as the reason the Bills are better than the Browns, I think that is flawed reasoning.  It's not just about the QB.

Is Mahomes better than Brady?  I guess the Chiefs must have won the Super Bowl last year then.  The QB is the most important piece of the puzzle, but not the whole puzzle.  Football is still a team sport.  How many Super Bowls does reigning MVP Aaron Rodgers have?  Five...Six?

I'm as big a homer as anyone on this board and I knew this wouldn't be a popular opinion here.   I stand by it though. 

People are sleeping on the Browns just like people were sleeping on the Bills based on how bad they were for years and years.  The Browns have difference makers at every position.  Baker Mayfied isn't as good a QB as Allen, not even close, but Baker doesn't have to be for the Browns to win.  If Mayfield continues to play ball control offense with that running game and an improved defense, they Browns are legit.

You hit the nail on the head that running game is scary 

• Agree 1

I can only imagine what this board would look like if we lost to the Jets late in the season, barely beat the Steelers backups to sneak into the playoffs, then failed to come back against the Chad Henne led Chiefs in the playoffs. It is always so much easier to look at teams that you pay little attention to and decide they are world beaters now. If the Browns want to be a serious contender, they need more from the QB.

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/2/2021 at 4:34 PM, SCBills said:

I don’t think you’re wildly off-base.  

Most unbiased analysts would say Cleveland might have the most proven talent in the league, along with Tampa Bay & Kansas City.  

Buffalo is in the tier after those teams, with the POTENTIAL to get there.   Again, strictly speaking of individual talent.  

Buffalo might be the deepest team in the league in the trenches after this past weekend. 

In terms of proven, high end talent though...

Josh Allen is generally regarded as a Top 5 QB. 

Dawkins, Williams and Morse are regarded as good Offensive Linemen.  

Diggs and Beasley are difference maker WR’s.  

Poyer, Milano and White are considered high end talent in their prime. 

Everything else is potential.... Revamped running game/scheme, Knox, revamped DL, Edmunds.  

If Star, Oliver, Rousseau, Basham, Epenesa etc all hit, this Defensive Line could be menacing, but right now the DL is just a unit with massive potential, really the entire Defense in general.  

Except most current rankings by the talking heads have the Bills #3 right behind KC and TB and now ahead of GB until the Aaron think is figured out.

So therefore I think most unbiased observers and even the biased observers that like to put the Bills down think Buffalo is a tier ahead of Cleveland.

Could Cleveland win the AFC - of course, but as many of us rightly pointed out - the turning point and best thing to happen to Cleveland was OBJ getting hurt and going out.  With him back - it puts pressure on the offense to throw more and that is not a good thing long term.

We will see where it goes - I just think the entire thread reads - the Browns picked the guys I really wanted in both FA and the draft - therefore they have supplanted us.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Except most current rankings by the talking heads have the Bills #3 right behind KC and TB and now ahead of GB until the Aaron think is figured out.

So therefore I think most unbiased observers and even the biased observers that like to put the Bills down think Buffalo is a tier ahead of Cleveland.

Could Cleveland win the AFC - of course, but as many of us rightly pointed out - the turning point and best thing to happen to Cleveland was OBJ getting hurt and going out.  With him back - it puts pressure on the offense to throw more and that is not a good thing long term.

We will see where it goes - I just think the entire thread reads - the Browns picked the guys I really wanted in both FA and the draft - therefore they have supplanted us.

Yes, because of Josh Allen.. which is what i’ve said multiple times in this thread. 

Cleveland is more talented (proven talent), but Josh Allen is that much better than Baker that he not only closes the gap, but puts us ahead of them in most people’s eyes. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

You think the entire thread reads like that or the OP reads like this?

I can’t speak for the OP, but I think the Browns are more talented across the board and the more balanced team...., but 17 (and possibly McD) makes us the better team.  They took all the guys I wanted.  But we’re still better....because of 17.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Yes, because of Josh Allen.. which is what i’ve said multiple times in this thread. 

Cleveland is more talented (proven talent), but Josh Allen is that much better than Baker that he not only closes the gap, but puts us ahead of them in most people’s eyes. 

Exactly 

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I can only imagine what this board would look like if we lost to the Jets late in the season, barely beat the Steelers backups to sneak into the playoffs, then failed to come back against the Chad Henne led Chiefs in the playoffs. It is always so much easier to look at teams that you pay little attention to and decide they are world beaters now. If the Browns want to be a serious contender, they need more from the QB.

Do you think Baker has peaked?  The answer should be no.  They will likely have more out of their QB.  

I also feel that people really underestimate how amazing Myles Garrett is.  They have a true superstar at 2nd most important position in football.  He is capable of taking over most games.  If Newsome, ward, Troy Hill, John Johnson delpit and co can stay healthy he should be able to have his best season yet.  We should put Spencer Brown at TE and have him help Dawkins if we play

Edited by NewEra

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Are the Bills a better regular season team than the Browns? I believe they are, especially when I think back to late season, when they were cutting through their opponents like a hot knife through butter. 

But when the postseason came, the Bills struggled to beat the Colts. The Colts wouldn't have been in the playoffs at all, had the Bills not beaten the Dolphins in week 17. Also, the Colts almost lost to lowly Jacksonville, in what (for them) was a must win-game. Based on how much better the Bills were than the Colts during the regular season, I expected them to win convincingly. But that's not what happened. 

The next week the Bills played the Ravens. Sure you could point to the final score and call it a convincing win. But the pick 6 was a 14 point swing. Had that one play been a TD instead of the pick 6, the game would have been either team's to win. So, once again a failure to beat a postseason opponent convincingly. Then there was the debacle against the Chiefs. For whatever reason, the Bills seemingly played at a lower level in the postseason than they had in the regular season. Until we get that problem fixed, we're in no position to look down our noses at a team like the Browns. Cleveland and Buffalo will win enough games to make it to the postseason, so it's the quality of postseason play which really matters. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The OP could be correct about his order of teams, the OP could be incorrect about his order of teams, but his analysis of the Chiefs and of the Bills off season moves was, IMO, really shallow and missed a lot of points (Chiefs I discussed above).  He's doubling down on it, though, so whatever.

The major point is the Chiefs remain the team to beat in the AFC until proven otherwise.  And the Bills made a strong case for being their biggest threat.  If Allen shows his improvement was no fluke, IMO we remain that (biggest threat) until proven otherwise. 

The Browns had a worse defense and played a weaker schedule last season.  It's not a fluke that the Bills had a better record last season. They're a legit contender and on paper, they made moves to significantly improve themselves.  We'll see if they come to fruition.

So did the Bills, BTW.  The moves aren't sexy, but evidently the outcome of the honest assessment they did was that our problems were largely on the offensive and defensive lines.  We lacked the cap $$ to compete successfully for some splashy FA signings, so Beane's approach was to add competition/alternatives and strive for improvement that way.   It's not sexy but it's worked before.

Nice breakdown. I still think a lot of people always assume everyone elses draft picks are day 1 contributors that will instantly improve our competition but for our own draft picks its always "itll take 2 to 3 years!!!"

I'm sure you'll get a lot of flack for suggesting that, but your reasoning is well thought out, so no issue there.

The only thing you're not looking at is the individual development aspect of it.

Yes, if all things remain the exact same among all players, & everything on paper is the exact same as it was in 2020 then sure, it all adds up. But if you throw in the unknown variables like Josh Allen's ability to still improve (as well as any other player's ability to improve...or even regress) then it becomes a much more cloudy picture.

We simply don't know if key players like Allen can get even better. Same can be said for someone like Baker Mayfield, but most would argue Allen has a much higher ceiling. Diggs did wonders in year 1 on the team, it's possible he does even better in year 2 (even if not statistically). We don't know how all those teams' draft picks will turn out. Baker may be in the same system for a 2nd year, but Allen will now have Daboll yet again (something we thought was never going to happen after last season). 

Predicting growth & development is impossible, and that very well may be key to those 3 teams fair in 2021. On paper, if all things were the same as 2020, your argument is pretty reasonable. But things in the NFL rarely stay the same year to year, as you often see with things like strength of schedule differing a ton before the season compared to after the season.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

You think the entire thread reads like that or the OP reads like this?

I can’t speak for the OP, but I think the Browns are more talented across the board and the more balanced team...., but 17 (and possibly McD) makes us the better team.  They took all the guys I wanted.  But we’re still better....because of 17.

Exactly 

I keep hearing how they are more talented across the board and I just don’t see it.  They have some bigger names, but I am not sure they are better.

QB - Bills better by a ton

RB - Cleveland Better by a ton

OLine - Bills Tackles are better, Cleveland better inside - Bills are a better pass group and Browns better run blocking group. - wash

WRs - Bills more talented 

TEs - Cleveland most likely - they have a higher user rate

DLine - Cleveland by a ton - although this group is a lot of name other than Garrett the rest have done little in years

LB - Bills by a small margin - I think Milano is the best of the bunch but could go draw

DBs - I would give it to the Bills I think White is better than Ward and the Bills safeties are a hair better.

Overall I think the talent level is very close and the Bills are better than the Browns off the ball (QB, LB, DB, and WR), while the DLine, TEs, and RBs are clearly an advantage for Cleveland.  

I also think the Bills have a coaching advantage.

I think in the modern NFL - high quantity passing attack - the Bills offense is set to be far superior and the Browns defensive scheme makes them better and they will rank better because the offense is a running clock control offense.  I just do not see significantly more talent across the roster - I see some positions that are more talented, but those are the same groups that were more talented last year.  Not sure Clowney is better than Vernon whom he replaced.  Clowney has done little and been injured even more.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I keep hearing how they are more talented across the board and I just don’t see it.  They have some bigger names, but I am not sure they are better.

QB - Bills better by a ton

RB - Cleveland Better by a ton

OLine - Bills Tackles are better, Cleveland better inside - Bills are a better pass group and Browns better run blocking group. - wash

WRs - Bills more talented 

TEs - Cleveland most likely - they have a higher user rate

DLine - Cleveland by a ton - although this group is a lot of name other than Garrett the rest have done little in years

LB - Bills by a small margin - I think Milano is the best of the bunch but could go draw

DBs - I would give it to the Bills I think White is better than Ward and the Bills safeties are a hair better.

Overall I think the talent level is very close and the Bills are better than the Browns off the ball (QB, LB, DB, and WR), while the DLine, TEs, and RBs are clearly an advantage for Cleveland.  

I also think the Bills have a coaching advantage.

I think in the modern NFL - high quantity passing attack - the Bills offense is set to be far superior and the Browns defensive scheme makes them better and they will rank better because the offense is a running clock control offense.  I just do not see significantly more talent across the roster - I see some positions that are more talented, but those are the same groups that were more talented last year.  Not sure Clowney is better than Vernon whom he replaced.  Clowney has done little and been injured even more.

The Bills tackles are better? I am not sure I agree with that. I think the OL is clear advantage Cleveland. Only Dawkins of our 5 starts for them IMO.

Equally I think the Bills linebacker group is, as of now, way ahead. The Browns two best linebackers might be the two guys they drafted last weekend who I think it is expecting a lot of for them to our perform Edmunds and Milano as rookies.