1. Chiefs 2. Browns 3. Bills

46 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

This is a convenient reframing of the truth...  the fumble occurred in the first half of the game and the Mahomes missed part of the 3rd Q and all of the 4th.

Don’t make it sound so close 😂

The game was very close. Yes, 19-3 looked like this was going to be a blowout. Even without the Fumble the 19-10 still would have looked like Chiefs were dominating.

2nd half was a different story even before Mahomes was hurt. Browns drive down 70 yards and score a TD to make it 19-10. Then hold KC to FG, 4th straight drive with a FG or nothing. Mahomes now gets hurt and its 22-10. CLE drives 70 yards again and scores so its 22-17 (Mahomes does not play D). CLE then gets the INT and it is looking like could win the game. KC is able to hold on with Henne and some luck on their side. But CLE had all the momentum for a big part of this game and almost stole it. 

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

As Adrienne from the Burgh says (he’s a regular on MTC and kind of annoying) I’m not worried about the Hash Browns yet.

Like every FA and draft it’s about hope and when you’re close to the leader you should expect other teams trying to close the gap.  More pundits than not now think we are the closest to the Chiefs in the AFC.

One thing was for sure this weekend, Beane pivoted his philosophy somewhat in that we used to have need meet BPA.  Now he really showed BPA.  This team now likes t bet on themselves in development and FWIW, I think they did it.  They bolstered a D Line for the future an LD a little now.  Addison and Hughes probably won’t be here in a year.  They bolstered their O Line with 5 guys.  Those guys will add a lot of depth.

not sure on the other three but should be fun.  I think beane is just getting started in the UDFA market.  Should be fun in the other thread what he does moving forward.

Go Bills!

20-0 baby.  Still trying to get used to that 17th game.

I don’t understand how Beane and McD plan to manage the roster this year, is my only problem with the draft.

TLDR,

How often do draft picks come in and make a big difference right away? I mean a big enough difference to swing Ls to Ws, not a ton. 

The UFAs the brownies brought in will help them more than their Rookies this season. Clowney hasn't been that great of a player the last few years and is kinda close to an overpriced JAG. Cleveland and Balt will contend for their division and thus far I'm giving the edge to Lamar over Baker. Baker needs to take a big step forward this year imo.

If Tua plays good this year, I would rank Miami over the Browns...sadly I'm not expecting much from Tua, will be a great roster with meh at qb...

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

This is a convenient reframing of the truth...  the fumble occurred in the first half of the game and the Mahomes missed part of the 3rd Q and all of the 4th.

Don’t make it sound so close 😂

The fumble was a big momentum swing and Mahomes really only missed part of the last Chiefs drive in the 3rd.  Where KC got away with one was that Sorensen hit that caused the fumble, IMO.  I thought and still think that should have been a personal foul.

Henne did try to help the Brownies out with a pick, though.

I think my concern with crowning the browns is that they went 2-3 against pitt and baltimore, and the 1 win was against rudolph and the other had a bit of a flukey start to give them some really good field position and points.  

Good (not great) offense (14th in points, 16th in yards), but a great rushing attack.

Defense was 21st in points and 17th in yards - they drafted here and added clowney so there's definitely some room to improve a bit.

2-0 against cincy

4-0 against the NFCE

L to the jets

L to the raiders

The biggest win on their schedule was probably Tennessee, but they also beat Indy.  

7-2 in 1 score games.  Their offense is probably good for them to win some of these, as mayfield cut down on turnovers and they play more ball control.  But these were 1 score games that included Cincyx2, Houston, Philly, jax, the jete, and steelers backups week 17.  

I think they can push for the division lead here, but any of baltimore/pitt/cleveland can win that division.  NFCE vs NFCN is a big difference, and they play the AFCW - plus NE and Houston.  

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

I think my concern with crowning the browns is that they went 2-3 against pitt and baltimore, and the 1 win was against rudolph and the other had a bit of a flukey start to give them some really good field position and points.  

Good (not great) offense (14th in points, 16th in yards), but a great rushing attack.

Defense was 21st in points and 17th in yards - they drafted here and added clowney so there's definitely some room to improve a bit.

2-0 against cincy

4-0 against the NFCE

L to the jets

L to the raiders

The biggest win on their schedule was probably Tennessee, but they also beat Indy.  

7-2 in 1 score games.  Their offense is probably good for them to win some of these, as mayfield cut down on turnovers and they play more ball control.  But these were 1 score games that included Cincyx2, Houston, Philly, jax, the jete, and steelers backups week 17.  

I think they can push for the division lead here, but any of baltimore/pitt/cleveland can win that division.  NFCE vs NFCN is a big difference, and they play the AFCW - plus NE and Houston.  

The Browns had a major weakness last year which was the back 7 of their defense. They have made some very good looking moves to address that through a combination of draft and free agency. There was no question to me that last year's Bills were a considerable distance clear of last year's Browns. The point is that on paper (and I get it they have to prove it on the field, no doubt) Cleveland has narrowed that gap. I was on record before last season as saying I thought there were only three possible Superbowl teams in the AFC - Kansas City, Baltimore and Buffalo. I think Cleveland is now on that list.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Browns had a major weakness last year which was the back 7 of their defense. They have made some very good looking moves to address that through a combination of draft and free agency. There was no question to me that last year's Bills were a considerable distance clear of last year's Browns. The point is that on paper (and I get it they have to prove it on the field, no doubt) Cleveland has narrowed that gap. I was on record before last season as saying I thought there were only three possible Superbowl teams in the AFC - Kansas City, Baltimore and Buffalo. I think Cleveland is now on that list.

I just think there is definitely some improvement to be had there.  I'm not totally set on clowney as an upgrade over vernon either.  They did well to grab a couple of rookies who can probably contribute right away though, and the offense should be better with beckham.  If they can't overtake baltimore though, the roads a bit tougher to start the playoffs on the road.

I gave you a thumbs up.

Not because I agree with your conclusion (I think it is still Chiefs, Bills, Browns until Mayfield shows he can play at the Mahomes/Allen level), but because it was well reasoned, and I do think you can make a strong case that, while all three teams retained their own well, KC and CLE did more to improve their rosters.

Just not enough to close the overall team talent gap given the QB play and importance of that position.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It’s absolutely possible to win a Super Bowl with a QB like Mayfield under center.  I would say, though, that the run game and D have to be better than good.  They have to be top notch.

In the year Trent Dilfer led the Ravens to a Super Bowl win, he averaged 6.7 yards per attempt, and had a QB rating of 76.6. Mayfield’s numbers for 2020 were 7.3 and 95.9. That’s substantially better. The considerable upgrade Mayfield gives you over Dilfer means you don’t necessarily need a defense or running game as good as the Ravens of 2000 to achieve a Super Bowl win if Mayfield is your QB. 

15 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

This is straight up homerism. Cleveland is very good and is a threat. They have had an excellent off season.

Allen is better, but Mayfield is good enough to excel with a good team around him. And Cleveland right now is LOADED with talent on both sides of the ball. I expect them to win 11-12 games next year. I hated what the Steelers have done and expect them to be 8-8 next season. That division is going to be a Ravens-Browns dogfight. @Inigo Montoya’s OP is a good one.

Games aren't played on paper, they are played on the field. Adding a bunch of pieces doesn't do a lot if they don't fit properly. And we have yet to see what that fit will look like. We already know how the Bills pieces fit. They went 13-3 against one of the toughest schedules in the NFL.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It’s absolutely possible to win a Super Bowl with a QB like Mayfield under center.  I would say, though, that the run game and D have to be better than good.  They have to be top notch.

When Cleveland didn't have the run game going, Mayfield wasn't good enough to carry them. It's why they lost to the Jets. It was the same in most losses they had.

The Browns are going to be a problem, but I think having OBJ back actually hurts them.

The more Mayfield tries to make big throws the more they have issues. When they run the ball and Baker does his Alex Smith impression, going 17/20 for like 200 yards and no INT, they are tough to beat. But with the big name WR they try to air it out more and it costs them. 

It will be interesting to see how they approach the season. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep.... how it evolved into "the Browns couldn't even beat Chad Henne" is beyond ridiculous. 

They were getting dominated everywhere except the scoreboard before Mahomes went down. Nobody watching the first 40 minutes of that game thought the Browns had a chance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Games aren't played on paper, they are played on the field. Adding a bunch of pieces doesn't do a lot if they don't fit properly.

👍

18 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

When Cleveland didn't have the run game going, Mayfield wasn't good enough to carry them. It's why they lost to the Jets. It was the same in most losses they had.

I don’t think the Jets loss is a fair case.  I believe that was the game when most of the Brownies WR were out on Covid list, so the Brownies couldn’t run because the Jets just clamped down on the run and said “I dare ya”

Point valid that Mayfield had some other games the press would have shreddified Allen for

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

They had a bad break with the reversed TD for a TB and then got a boost with a TD after halftime... and then really got momentum when Mahomes went out. 

I agree though, I never thought the Browns had a chance until Mahomes went out.... then I did. 

Yeh. IIRC Njoku singlehandedly kept them in the game with some once in a lifetime catches.

I think the Browns are definitely being overvalued, it took them barely beating backups to get into the playoffs an then made the most of it when they got in. I think the Steelers are still the team to beat with Big Ben coming back, he is obviously in decline but get a cast of healthy players back in the lineup. To me it's the Chiefs/Bills/Steelers imo.

21 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Games aren't played on paper, they are played on the field. Adding a bunch of pieces doesn't do a lot if they don't fit properly. And we have yet to see what that fit will look like. We already know how the Bills pieces fit. They went 13-3 against one of the toughest schedules in the NFL.

I certainly hope you're right. I just think Mayfield is better than average and is gradually evolving into the type of player who'll put up an elite season or two over the course of his career. His ceiling is Drew Brees and his floor is Andy Dalton (who has had a better career than many realize: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaltAn00.htm). Where he ends up will be interesting to watch. Anyway, we shall see. 

18 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I think the Browns are definitely being overvalued, it took them barely beating backups to get into the playoffs an then made the most of it when they got in. I think the Steelers are still the team to beat with Big Ben coming back, he is obviously in decline but get a cast of healthy players back in the lineup. To me it's the Chiefs/Bills/Steelers imo.

Let’s not forget to “quote the Ravens”