1. Chiefs 2. Browns 3. Bills

Perfectly plausible that the Brownies may be better than us this year. We have a solid roster but they have an elite RB, receiver, pass rusher, a solid draft that will play day one, and a QB who made strides last year. They also have a really good OG, grrr. Let's hope Star's return really makes a difference, Epenesa & Oliver take a step up, CB 2 is figured out, Cody Ford is good and Morse stays concussion free. All in, we still have Josh, which may be the difference maker.

How many years do we see players sign big name free agents and draft all sorts of great players. And all the pundits love them and talk about how much that team improved.  ...only to get to the season and watch them have trouble putting it all together. 

I’m not saying we’re the best or anyone else is bad. I’m just saying there’s a big difference between what a team does in the off season and what they do on the field during the season.  

It’s entirely too early to rank any team based on 2021 drafter players or free agents in my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, Dan said:

How many years do we see players sign big name free agents and draft all sorts of great players. And all the pundits love them and talk about how much that team improved.  ...only to get to the season and watch them have trouble putting it all together. 

I’m not saying we’re the best or anyone else is bad. I’m just saying there’s a big difference between what a team does in the off season and what they do on the field during the season.  

It’s entirely too early to rank any team based on 2021 drafter players or free agents in my opinion. 

Similar to last season with the bucs?

It doesn’t always work out.  But it certainly does sometimes.  Chiefs sign Frank Clark and the Honey Badger and they win a SB.

Edited by NewEra

I want to see Baker play well with Beckham before I believe it.  I want to see Difanski utilize an elite wr  to the the peak of there ability.  Clowney fixes the pass rush without a knee...  Cle is good but they lost depth on the dline and added Clowney who is 3 years removed from impacting a defense. 

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Absolutely...... but it’s May 2nd and we’re on a message board.  This is exactly what this place is for on May 2nd.  Talk about what has happened during the offseason and give our opinions on it.   The OP is giving his opinion of what has happened.  People agree.  People disagree.  

my point: saying that we won’t know for sure until the season SHOULD be a given.  I don’t think that should be used as a counter argument.  Nothing can be proven until the games are played.  This is just convo

Yup.  That is what I was driving at.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Similar to last season with the bucs?

It doesn’t always work out.  But it certainly does sometimes.  Chiefs sign Frank Clark and the Honey Badger and they win a SB.

Absolutely.   Some times it works out.  And a lot of times it’s doesn’t.  For a variety of reasons.  

Personally, I think continuity in coaching, schemes and players is being grossly under rated.   

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

While I agree with the OP that the Browns have taken huge strides this offseason and have probably passed the Bills on a talent level, Hap makes an excellent point - and it’s one that I harp on regularly:  SHOW ME.  You gotta prove it.  How it looks on paper is not how it always shows in real life.

TBH, weren't people predicting great things for the Browns in 2019 because it was felt Baker would surely take a step with (his?) handpicked GOOD coach, Kitchens, and they'd added so much talent?  I mean, OMG they had Chubb and Landry and Njoku and they added OBJ...WHOOOO!

I'm not trying to diss on the Brownies and I do think Stefanski is a different level of coach than Kitches or Jackson (I wanted Hue to coach the Bills, too - good thing I'm not picking our coach!).

But yeah, exactly.  How it looks on paper is not always how it shows IRL.

7 hours ago, Gigs said:

I think the Chiefs play to their competition, which is why the only 2 good games they played were against us; they know who they have to beat. The problem was pass rush and outside distractions, a la HC interviews. If Daboll was able to spend his time crafting solid game plans we would've looked much better. 

This is a KC Chiefs tradition....we have played some games WAY WAY too close against teams like Detroit (a game we frankly should have lots) and Carolina...a game that Carolina attempted a 69 yard FG to win the game on the last play.....that was long enough.....but just wide right....  it's a decades long tradition....and KC also tends to play up to competition as well....like when 0-12 KC beat 12-0 GB a good while back...

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Chiefs completely revamped their OL but no idea if it will be better, the same, or worse. The left side seems locked down but C and the right side will be a TC battle between a # of dudes. OL play is a lot of “time played together” due to communication and finding the right combination. They will be behind in that aspect and I hope we play them week 1.

Just to clarify a bit more.

KC's line for super bowl

LT - Mike Remmers

LG - Nick Allegretti

C - Autin Reiter

RG - Steve Wisneiski

RT - Andrew Wylie

Remmers was supposed to be the 2nd string RT

Allegrettis was the backup C, and 3rd string OG

Rieter was the no.1 C

Wisnieski was a street FA brought in for the playoffs as depth

Wylie was the starting RG, moved to RT.

Even with the line healhty, KC was ranked 31st in RUN win rate in the NFL....they've sucked since Morse left to go to the Bills.

Projected Line for 2021

LT - Orlando Brown 

LG - Thuney

C - Humphrey

RG - One of Trey Smith, Kyle Long or LDT

RT - One of Lucas Niang, Kyle Long or Mike Remmers

If KC carries 8 or 9 O line men...that will probably be....Brown, Thuney, Humphry, Smith, Niang, (my projected starters.)  Then Long, versatile backup, LDT, his cap hit is high..and Remmers...backup OT.  

If Humphrey got hurt, Thuney would slide to Center, and Long would play guard.  If Niang was hurt, that would be Remmers...if Brown hurt, Long or Remmers.  and if Long was being used elsewhere and anotehr inury occured, LDT woudl be OG.  LDT would be cut, but his cap hit is too much..so he survies.  Anyhow....ONLY Remmer looks to even be around from the line that started in the SB...and he's going to end up being the backup RT again, where he belongs.

We wont know until we see it on the field...but htis line is the best line KC has probably had in a long time...and almost certainly will be far and away the best line Mahomes had ever had.

KC has also been a horrible short yardage and goal line team due to inability to be a threat to run....this should open the playbook back up some.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Kudos for putting this together, but you lost me right there with the bolded.

The Chiefs lost starting DE Tanoh Kpassagnon to NO, starting OLB Damien Wilson to Jacksonville, and starting CB Brashad Breeland is still unsigned as a FA.  Defensive end Alex Okafor saw significant playing time (40-50% of the snaps) and is also an unsigned FA at this point.

When they lose or have unsigned 3-4 key defensive contributors who saw a lot of snaps and you come out with "the only free agent they lost of any consequence was Watkins", that begs the question just what do you consider "of any consequence"? 

Now it may be that just like OL, they made sufficient FA or draft moves on D to backfill, or have understudies who looked good and are ready to step in, but at least tell us what those were and why they're just as good. 

And frankly, it wasn't just the KC OL that was a problem for them in the Superbowl.  Their D gave up 145 yds on the ground and gave TB a TOP edge not to mention 3 TD passing.

KC is the team to beat in the AFC until proven otherwise, no argument there.  I don't know as much about the Brownies, but frankly, the significant gaps in your KC analysis make me question how deep and thoughtful your analysis of the Brownies may be.

Kpass was very much a JAG.

Okafor was very much a JAG.  

KC had ok pass rush numbers, but it was because we blitzed quite a bit....not because of pressure from ends.

Breeland was let go...hasn't signed....and rumors are, KC and he might hook up once again on one year deal.

KC loosly rumored to possibly sign Justin Houston as well.

Wilson at LB.....very much a JAG.  Willie Gay, made quite a few flash plays in limited snaps last year in his place..he will start (last years 2nd round pick)  It will be un upgrade for less money.

KC's defensive playmakers remain on the roster....  Chris Jones, Honey Badger, La Jarious Sneed.

KC was 7-0 and scored 33.0 pts per game when Sammy Watkins didn't play.  He was not a key part of the offense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Perfectly plausible that the Brownies may be better than us this year. We have a solid roster but they have an elite RB, receiver, pass rusher, a solid draft that will play day one, and a QB who made strides last year. They also have a really good OG, grrr. Let's hope Star's return really makes a difference, Epenesa & Oliver take a step up, CB 2 is figured out, Cody Ford is good and Morse stays concussion free. All in, we still have Josh, which may be the difference maker.

How do you know the Browns have a solid draft that will play day one? 

In 2020, the Browns got a solid LT in Rd 1 who played 15 games, but their 2nd round pick Delpit spent the season on IR, and their 3rd round pick Elliot became a rotational DT who was playing 15-32% of the snaps the 2nd half of the season.

They drafted 2 guys that a lot of us wanted, but whether or not they play day one, Time will Tell

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How do you know the Browns have a solid draft that will play day one? 

In 2020, the Browns got a solid LT in Rd 1 who played 15 games, but their 2nd round pick Delpit spent the season on IR, and their 3rd round pick Elliot became a rotational DT who was playing 15-32% of the snaps the 2nd half of the season.

They drafted 2 guys that a lot of us wanted, but whether or not they play day one, Time will Tell

I'm betting Newsome and JOK play snap one as starters. Will revisit in Fall I guess 

39 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Projected Line for 2021

LT - Orlando Brown 

LG - Thuney

C - Humphrey

RG - One of Trey Smith, Kyle Long or LDT

RT - One of Lucas Niang, Kyle Long or Mike Remmers

If KC carries 8 or 9 O line men...that will probably be....Brown, Thuney, Humphry, Smith, Niang, (my projected starters.)  Then Long, versatile backup, LDT, his cap hit is high..and Remmers...backup OT.  

If Humphrey got hurt, Thuney would slide to Center, and Long would play guard.  If Niang was hurt, that would be Remmers...if Brown hurt, Long or Remmers.  and if Long was being used elsewhere and anotehr inury occured, LDT woudl be OG.  LDT would be cut, but his cap hit is too much..so he survies.  Anyhow....ONLY Remmer looks to even be around from the line that started in the SB...and he's going to end up being the backup RT again, where he belongs.

We wont know until we see it on the field...but htis line is the best line KC has probably had in a long time...and almost certainly will be far and away the best line Mahomes had ever had.

KC has also been a horrible short yardage and goal line team due to inability to be a threat to run....this should open the playbook back up some.

Where does Austin Blythe fit into this picture?  Did KC sign him just for giggles?  I mean, I get it, $990k guaranteed is relatively peanuts, but you'd think they didn't sign him to a guaranteed contract because they thought Thuney was a great backup center.

Has Thuney even played a snap at Center in the NFL?

No argument with the basic point which is that on paper, KC has successfully improved its OL and on paper, it's the best OL Mahomes has had.

Kpass was very much a JAG.

Okafor was very much a JAG.  

Breeland was let go...hasn't signed....and rumors are, KC and he might hook up once again on one year deal.

Wilson at LB.....very much a JAG. 

KC's defensive playmakers remain on the roster....  Chris Jones, Honey Badger, La Jarious Sneed.

Thank you for reinforcing my point that Watkins was not a key loss to the Chiefs.

I have no reason to argue that these guys are "just guys", but the fact remains, they were getting a lot of snaps on the KC defense over other "just guys" who presumably, didn't play as well and therefore were assigned to play "left Bench" behind them....and we have seen that in football, an ultimate team sport, if all 11 don't do their job, the stars don't shine as bright.

So who is replacing these "JAGs" for KC?  What's the plan there?

Browns look very good. If they get OBJ going they are going to be a very tough team to beat. What hurts them is the tough division. But that also makes them battle tested come playoffs. 

There are also a lot of good teams in the AFC that IMO are boom or bust based on QB performance. Miami and Indy to name a couple. Going to be a fun season. 

But kings are kings until someone dethrones them. Chiefs and Bills are the top 2 teams until proven otherwise. Bills are further away from the Chiefs IMO then the 3rd and 4th teams are from the Bills. Going to be tough to catch them. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

42 minutes ago, Dan said:

I don't understand all this "on paper" talk with the Browns. 

Are people just ignoring that they were 11-5 last season? In a year where they lost their #1 WR. And one of their losses was a game they were forced to play without any WRs because of Covid. 

They beat the Titans, who beat the crap out of us, and played the Chiefs way tougher then we did. 

They were already a really good team last year, it's not like they were garbage and just signed a bunch of guys this offseason.

There was biggest weakness last year was their pass defense. This was partly due to injuries and opt outs. Between getting guys back and offseason additions, they will be much better on D this year. 

It's definitely close between the two teams. I would expect all Bills fans to think Bills have the edge, and for Browns fans to think they do. 

Despite the Ravens being the betting favorites in their division, I think the Browns are the best team in the North. I would actually put the Chiefs, Browns and Bills in their own tier at the top of the conference. As far as the order, it's close enough where it's not even worth debating really. 

I wish we played them this year, I think it would be a great matchup. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

gotcha.  I’m can dig the majority of that 

the bolded, maybe not so much.  What you are saying about the chiefs OL you can say about literally every acquisition every team makes.  It depends if.....because we haven’t seen them in play.  But this is the offseason and all talk about next season is a projection.  A projection based on last seasons play and past season.  We don’t know if Trevor Lawrence will be better than Mike Glennon.,..but we can project based on what we’ve seen.  Most people that know football would agree that the Chiefs OL is one of the best OLs on paper.  Last year, they had one of the worst OLs on paper (but wasn’t terrible until fisher went down).  The projection is that their OL will be better, if not monumentally better..  we don’t “know” that they will be....but we also don’t “know” anything about anyone in may

I know you're exaggerating to make a point, but I think in this instance, it's really belittling the point I was making to compare it to saying "we don't know if Trevor Lawrence will be better than Mike Glennon".

The Chiefs had a very good LT in Eric Fisher for 7 years with 2 probowl appearances.  He was consistent, competent, and durable.

Orlando Brown played LT in college, but failed to compete for the LT role with the Ravens.  He's played a total of 8 games at LT this past season, so he doesn't have a 3 year history as a top-quality NFL LT.  Moreover, can we agree that the Ravens offense with Lamar Jackson at QB is relatively unique in the NFL, and differs in multiple regards from the offense KC runs?

On paper, the Chiefs have greatly improved their OL, and I applaud the Chiefs for the various moves they made.  But on Sunday, I think it's a bit of an open question as to whether Brown will work out at LT for the Chiefs as well as he stepped into the role for the Ravens. 

I don't think it's nearly as far-fetched as comparing Trevor Lawrence and Mike Glennon for the reasons stated above.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

The Colts were better than us in the Wild Card Game, but we won because Josh Allen is that much better than Philip Rivers. 

Same goes for why we are better than Cleveland. 

Roster-wise (outside of QB), I’d agree with your rankings.   We have a lot of potential, but they have more proven talent. 

The last time buffalo played cleveland, mayfield (who is WAY better than what the homers here believe) outplayed Josh and Cleveland won.

8 hours ago, chknwing334 said:

The Browns came in 3rd in their own division last year.  (I know they were only one game behind the Steelers)

I think you are underestimating the advantage of having Josh Allen at the helm vs Baker. 

This

1 hour ago, Buffalo619 said:

Is this a joke? Bills will dominate this year. What is up with this? Come on OP. You think factory of sadness will be better than us this year??  Lol. 

This is straight up homerism. Cleveland is very good and is a threat. They have had an excellent off season.

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Allen >>> Mayfield. That's why the Browns won't leapfrog us. The team with the better QB usually wins when it comes down to it.

Allen is better, but Mayfield is good enough to excel with a good team around him. And Cleveland right now is LOADED with talent on both sides of the ball. I expect them to win 11-12 games next year. I hated what the Steelers have done and expect them to be 8-8 next season. That division is going to be a Ravens-Browns dogfight. @Inigo Montoya’s OP is a good one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Where does Austin Blythe fit into this picture?  Did KC sign him just for giggles?  I mean, I get it, $990k guaranteed is relatively peanuts, but you'd think they didn't sign him to a guaranteed contract because they thought Thuney was a great backup center.

Has Thuney even played a snap at Center in the NFL?

No argument with the basic point which is that on paper, KC has successfully improved its OL and on paper, it's the best OL Mahomes has had.

Thank you for reinforcing my point that Watkins was not a key loss to the Chiefs.

I have no reason to argue that these guys are "just guys", but the fact remains, they were getting a lot of snaps on the KC defense over other guys who presumably, didn't play as well....and we have seen that in football, an ultimate team sport, if all 11 don't do their job, the stars don't shine as bright.

So who is replacing these "JAGs" for KC?  What's the plan there?

1st Blythe....If KC carries 9 O lineman...he'd be the 9th one...I suppose that's probalby likely as I thikn they'd rather not ever have to move Thuney to C.  I should have included him in my write up.

2nd...that JAGS and their replacements...

Lets start with Kpassonagno.  I was pretty exicted when they drafted him (same class as Mahomes)  I thought they'd coach him up into something really great...he's a beast of man, that just is not and is never gong to be an instinctual football player.  This is problaby still the biggest hole on the roster as it now sits...KC drafted Josh Kaindoh in the 4th round....that is NOT a day 1 starter/answer to replace Kpass....Kaindoh is a project type in his own right.  KC has Mike Danna (a 5th round pick last year) who is more or less a JAG...and they have some guys who are undersized Defensive tackle types that are miscast as ends, but can play out there in Khalen Saunders and Tershawn Wharton.  If the season started today......Chris Jones would play DE on one side, and Clark on the other....the Jaron Reed signing allows for that to happen.   Basically, Kpass left and will be replaced by another JAG or JAGS, and/or Chris Jones on the outside quite a bit.  Something to watch for...Jones is an effective end when he's been used there.

Baushaud Breeland....started the season with a 4 game suspension....he has a reputation as a guy who enjoys his weed (I don't care) ....so maybe that's why he's not signed...perhaps there is another suspension coming we dont' know about yet....KC has been reported to be interested in having him back.  He remains an effective outside cover corner when on the field and fits what KC likes to do...I'd love to have him back if he's not going to be suspended etc.  That said...as of now he isn't on the roster.  KC did NOT draft a CB in this draft....they LOVE La'Jarious Sneed...led all rookie DB in alot of stuff....and was very effective all over the field and showed he could blitz....if you haven't heard of him yet...you will...he's LEGIT.  ...so Sneed, Charvarious Ward on the other side again...Rashad Fenton, who has been pretty good so far...plus Honey Badger, Thornhill and Sorenson all back again at Safety.  One of the deepest groups on the team, we can handle losing Breeland.

Damien Wilson.  A Jag when he was signed....played like a Jag....unspectacular player....never really could say he was mistake prone or anything...just never made any big plays....and was not good in coverage.  a JAG if there ever was one.  They drafted Willie Gay Jr in round 2 last year....started workign him onto the field more and more as the season went along..he DID show playmaking and coverage ability....and he will start there this year....almost certainly an upgrade.

And then there is Watkins.  I have never understood why KC poured the resources they did into this guy...Mahomes makes your 3rd, 45h and 5th targets look great as is...Watkins didn't bring anything to the group we didn't already have....and the 1st and 2nd guys in the pecking order Hill and Kelce are already bonafide stars.  The RB group is supposed to eat up a good share of targets...and then you have the otehr WR's.  KC won't notice Watkins is gone...and the guy they did draft....won't start, and won't make an impact this year..but he's in the pipeline.....for this year...Look for Byron Pringle to be the "Sammy Watkins" role player in this years offense...similar size and speed....but contract way way different....same result.  

Hope this was helpful.