1. Chiefs 2. Browns 3. Bills

The big places I thought the Bills could’ve improved to help them gain ground on the Chiefs were:

- CB: This is more about losing ground.  I hate how shallow we are there. We only have three I’d want to see on the field.  Tre is a stud, Wallace is solid and Johnson is adequate.  Notably of the three only Tre is signed beyond this season.  One injury and I think we have real issues. 

- Speed X WR: The real value of Brown was that he could take the top off the defense.  We didn’t have that kind of player last season when he got hurt and we did little to address it this offseason.  Sanders can be a good backup to Beasley, but he doesn’t have speed anymore.  And I’m not depending on a sixth round pick who was projected to the slot to be our outside speed receiver this year. 

- High end RB:  A RB who could stress defenses as a runner with home run ability and as a receiver would be huge for this team.  We really did almost nothing here.  Brieda will be okay but he’s not going to be an upgrade.

Beyond those major needs I’d also have liked to see a center and 1 tech selected.  I don’t like Morse’s concussion risk and don’t love having to shuffle the IOL if he goes down again.  It really feels like a “when” rather than an “if” with another concussion.  As for 1 tech, I thought Star was below average to poor two seasons ago and he’s had a year off.  I don’t trust him to rebound this year and I don’t want to see Oliver at 1 tech again.

The Bills were very lucky from an injury standpoint last season.  I hope that happens again, but we can’t count on that.  I’d have liked better depth in the places I mentioned.  That’s a worry.  The other theme above that’s concerning is that we did nothing to address our team speed.  It’s an arms race with teams like the Chiefs and Browns.  The Bills did nothing to gain ground on the Chiefs and they lost some serious ground to the Browns. 

• Eyeroll 2

The Browns didn't have any pressure going into 2020 as they had a disappointing 2019.

They now face the pressure the Bills did going into 2020.

With absolutely no proven track record of winning and a lot of combustable personalities in that Cleveland locker room, who knows what to expect from them.

They have the Ravens and the Steelers (plus an improved Cincinnati team) to deal with, where the Bills division rivals are still light years behind the Bills.

The Bills backups beat their biggest threat in the division in the final game of last year, even when the Dolphins were desperate for a win.

Let that sink in and you tell me where the Bills and the Browns stand as a threat to the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 2

The browns had the furthest to go on defense which is why they had to bring in all those guys in the secondary. No one knows if their defense will improve enough to beat the Ravens which is their biggest hurdle. Until they upgrade at QB, or he develops further (already 26 and never had elite traits pointing to a higher ceiling) they will be left behind in the big games.

• Like (+1) 2

Chiefs completely revamped their OL but no idea if it will be better, the same, or worse. The left side seems locked down but C and the right side will be a TC battle between a # of dudes. OL play is a lot of “time played together” due to communication and finding the right combination. They will be behind in that aspect and I hope we play them week 1.

5 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Allen >>>>>> baker it’s not even close and thus the bills are way ahead of the browns and tied with the chiefs 

2 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Dude Baker Mayfield ain’t Josh Allen and they aren’t even in the same conversation 

12 minutes ago, Big Gun said:

The Browns are better because the Bills drafted big uglies, whatever! 

We have Josh Allen they don't!

I could have added some more responses from above as well, but if your only argument is that Josh Allen is better than Baker Mayfield as the reason the Bills are better than the Browns, I think that is flawed reasoning.  It's not just about the QB.

Is Mahomes better than Brady?  I guess the Chiefs must have won the Super Bowl last year then.  The QB is the most important piece of the puzzle, but not the whole puzzle.  Football is still a team sport.  How many Super Bowls does reigning MVP Aaron Rodgers have?  Five...Six?

8 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

You’re not allowed to have this opinion here 

I'm as big a homer as anyone on this board and I knew this wouldn't be a popular opinion here.   I stand by it though. 

People are sleeping on the Browns just like people were sleeping on the Bills based on how bad they were for years and years.  The Browns have difference makers at every position.  Baker Mayfied isn't as good a QB as Allen, not even close, but Baker doesn't have to be for the Browns to win.  If Mayfield continues to play ball control offense with that running game and an improved defense, they Browns are legit.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I'm as big a homer as anyone on this board and I knew this wouldn't be a popular opinion here.   I stand by it though. 

People are sleeping on the Browns just like people were sleeping on the Bills based on how bad they were for years and years.  The Browns have difference makers at every position.  Baker Mayfied isn't as good a QB as Allen, not even close, but Baker doesn't have to be for the Browns to win.  If Mayfield continues to play ball control offense with that running game and an improved defense, they Browns are legit.

I agree with you 100%

2 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I could have added some more responses from above as well, but if your only argument is that Josh Allen is better than Baker Mayfield as the reason the Bills are better than the Browns, I think that is flawed reasoning.  It's not just about the QB.

Is Mahomes better than Brady?  I guess the Chiefs must have won the Super Bowl last year then.  The QB is the most important piece of the puzzle, but not the whole puzzle.  Football is still a team sport.  How many Super Bowls does reigning MVP Aaron Rodgers have?  Five...Six?

Outside of defensive line and RBs, how do you come to the conclusion that the Browns roster is superior to ours?

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The big places I thought the Bills could’ve improved to help them gain ground on the Chiefs were:

- CB: This is more about losing ground.  I hate how shallow we are there. We only have three I’d want to see on the field.  Tre is a stud, Wallace is solid and Johnson is adequate.  Notably of the three only Tre is signed beyond this season.  One injury and I think we have real issues. 

- Speed X WR: The real value of Brown was that he could take the top off the defense.  We didn’t have that kind of player last season when he got hurt and we did little to address it this offseason.  Sanders can be a good backup to Beasley, but he doesn’t have speed anymore.  And I’m not depending on a sixth round pick who was projected to the slot to be our outside speed receiver this year. 

- High end RB:  A RB who could stress defenses as a runner with home run ability and as a receiver would be huge for this team.  We really did almost nothing here.  Brieda will be okay but he’s not going to be an upgrade.

Beyond those major needs I’d also have liked to see a center and 1 tech selected.  I don’t like Morse’s concussion risk and don’t love having to shuffle the IOL if he goes down again.  It really feels like a “when” rather than an “if” with another concussion.  As for 1 tech, I thought Star was below average to poor two seasons ago and he’s had a year off.  I don’t trust him to rebound this year and I don’t want to see Oliver at 1 tech again.

The Bills were very lucky from an injury standpoint last season.  I hope that happens again, but we can’t count on that.  I’d have liked better depth in the places I mentioned.  That’s a worry.  The other theme above that’s concerning is that we did nothing to address our team speed.  It’s an arms race with teams like the Chiefs and Browns.  The Bills did nothing to gain ground on the Chiefs and they lost some serious ground to the Browns. 

Bills are really all about “potential”.  

Continuity and scheme change are places we probably underestimate.  Clearly they believe they can run the ball better, and scheme has been mentioned quite a few times.  Re-signing your own isn’t sexy, but there is a reason teams do it... continuity is huge.  

Josh Allen has made huge leaps season to season... does he continue?  

He is the Offense.  We know we have a good Pass Pro OL and WR group.   Knox and the running game are potential.  

On Defense.. the switch could flip.  We have so much talent on that side of the ball now that may or may not be realized.   

You lost me ehrn you said the browns will be better than buffalo...think ago.

thryfirst need to learn how to beat ravens snd Steelers when it matters in the regular season.

second...They go from one of the weakest opponent schedule to a much harder one.

the face afc west,  Nfc north,patricheats, Arizona and Houston 

they are lucky if they get to 10 wins...

34 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

The Browns came in 3rd in their own division last year.  (I know they were only one game behind the Steelers)

I think you are underestimating the advantage of having Josh Allen at the helm vs Baker. 

True, josh is much better but the Browns this year play a third place schedule, though the Bills are still better overall. 

20 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

The Browns came in 3rd in their own division last year.  (I know they were only one game behind the Steelers)

I think you are underestimating the advantage of having Josh Allen at the helm vs Baker. 

The Browns were in year 1 of their makeover last season.  Their injury situation was ridiculous.  In the Steelers playoff game an offensive lineman that had joined the team THAT DAY played meaningful snaps.  

In addition to getting healthy the Browns have improved their team tremendously this offseason in both free agency and the draft.  Every level of the defense was addressed with the back seven getting a near full makeover.  Do not expect to see anything close to the same defense as last season. 

A lot of Bills fans are not giving Mayfield the credit he is due.  For the first time in the NFL he gets to stay in the same offense for a second straight season.  He learned the current system on the fly last season because of the elimination of most of the offseason.  He looked terrible for half a season, then after the bye he rated as the second best QB the rest of the way.

• Agree 1