1. Chiefs 2. Browns 3. Bills

The Chiefs entered the off season after getting man handled in the Super Bowl because their O-line had fallen apart.  They blew up their O-line and decided to rebuild.  On paper at least, they look to have improved the line.  They signed Joe Thuney to a 5 year $80 million contract and he will slide into the left guard position.  They then signed Kyle Long to a one year deal to step into the right guard position.  They resigned Mike Remmers to play right tackle and then traded with the Ravens for Orlando Brown to step in as their left tackle.  They signed Austin Blythe from the Rams to play center, and then drafted the 2nd ranked center, Creed Humphrey, to push Blythe and develop into their future center.  The only free agent they lost of any consequence was Sammy Watkins which should not slow them down much.

I think on the whole the O-line is upgraded and they kept the rest of the band together.  I don't see any reasonable argument to say the Chiefs shouldn't remain the #1 seed in the AFC heading into the 2021 season.

The Browns will leap frog us this season and be the primary threat to the Chiefs.   If you look at the playoffs last year, the Browns came within a fumbled football out of the endzone from beating the Chiefs.  The Bills by comparison didn't even make a game of it against the Chiefs.  The Browns' roster seems to match up better against the Chiefs, and that was before the Browns very impressive off season.

The defense was the weak side of the ball last season and the Browns attacked this off season with that in mind.  They snagged John Johnson the best free agent safety on the market to address a huge weakness and also added CB Troy Hill who will be an instant upgrade.  They brought in Clowney to stack opposite Miles Garrett on the D-line.  They then drafted CB Greg Newsome and LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah who should both start this season.  The Browns bring back their offense intact and Mayfield will have the benefit of playing in the same offense for the first time in his career.  OBJ will also be back this season.

The Bills did a great job of resigning their key free agents this year and also upgraded the backup QB position.  They brought in Sanders to replace Brown which could be an up grade and added Hollister to the TE room.  We all hope that having Star back will have a ripple effect on the D-line and result in better play across the entire line and allow our LB play to improve as well.  The entire team will benefit from another year of coaching and scheme stability and hopefully some of our young players like Oliver and Edmunds will take a step forward this year.

Overview   A lot is made of the Bills retaining their own talent, and I agree that Beane did a great job of maintaining a roster that made it to the AFC Championship game, but the uncomfortable truth is that the Chiefs maintained their roster too AND improved their O-Line.   The Browns also avoided any key free agency loses AND improved their defensive secondary and brought in Clowney on the D-line.  The Browns and Chiefs will also benefit from another year of coaching and scheme stability just like the Bills.

The off season isn't over yet, but the free agency period is winding down and the Draft is over.  Baring injuries, any changes to the rosters of the Chiefs, Browns, and Bills before opening weekend will likely just be on the margins before opening weekend.  When Andy Reid looks out across the AFC, I think he is probably more worried about what is going on in Cleveland than what is going on in Buffalo.  I think the Browns have improved enough this off season to move past us and become the primary threat to the Chiefs this year. 

At this point I'd rank the AFC;    1. Chiefs  2. Browns  3. Bills

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Vomit 7
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 36
  • Agree 14
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5
  • Dislike 6

• Inigo Montoya changed the title to 1. Chiefs 2. Browns 3. Bills

I think the Chiefs play to their competition, which is why the only 2 good games they played were against us; they know who they have to beat. The problem was pass rush and outside distractions, a la HC interviews. If Daboll was able to spend his time crafting solid game plans we would've looked much better. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

The Colts were better than us in the Wild Card Game, but we won because Josh Allen is that much better than Philip Rivers. 

Same goes for why we are better than Cleveland. 

Roster-wise (outside of QB), I’d agree with your rankings.   We have a lot of potential, but they have more proven talent. 

• Like (+1) 9

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Lets see who wins the AFC Divisions first.

On an unrelated note:  What is the obsession of having to rank everything, everywhere, all the time?

I just don't get it.  I'm old I guess.

I rank this thread 6th on the wall today 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The Chiefs entered the off season after getting man handled in the Super Bowl because their O-line had fallen apart.  They blew up their O-line and decided to rebuild.  On paper at least, they look to have improved the line.  They signed Joe Thuney to a 5 year $80 million contract and he will slide into the left guard position.  They then signed Kyle Long to a one year deal to step into the right guard position.  They resigned Mike Remmers to play right tackle and then traded with the Ravens for Orlando Brown to step in as their left tackle.  They signed Austin Blythe from the Rams to play center, and then drafted the 2nd ranked center, Creed Humphrey, to push Blythe and develop into their future center.  The only free agent they lost of any consequence was Sammy Watkins which should not slow them down much.

I think on the whole the O-line is upgraded and they kept the rest of the band together.  I don't see any reasonable argument to say the Chiefs shouldn't remain the #1 seed in the AFC heading into the 2021 season.

The Browns will leap frog us this season and be the primary threat to the Chiefs.   If you look at the playoffs last year, the Browns came within a fumbled football out of the endzone from beating the Chiefs.  The Bills by comparison didn't even make a game of it against the Chiefs.  The Browns' roster seems to match up better against the Chiefs, and that was before the Browns very impressive off season.

The defense was the weak side of the ball last season and the Browns attacked this off season with that in mind.  They snagged John Johnson the best free agent safety on the market to address a huge weakness and also added CB Troy Hill who will be an instant upgrade.  They brought in Clowney to stack opposite Miles Garrett on the D-line.  They then drafted CB Greg Newsome and LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah who should both start this season.  The Browns bring back their offense intact and Mayfield will have the benefit of playing in the same offense for the first time in his career.  OBJ will also be back this season.

The Bills did a great job of resigning their key free agents this year and also upgraded the backup QB position.  They brought in Sanders to replace Brown which could be an up grade and added Hollister to the TE room.  We all hope that having Star back will have a ripple effect on the D-line and result in better play across the entire line and allow our LB play to improve as well.  The entire team will benefit from another year of coaching and scheme stability and hopefully some of our young players like Oliver and Edmunds will take a step forward this year.

Overview   A lot is made of the Bills retaining their own talent, and I agree that Beane did a great job of maintaining a roster that made it to the AFC Championship game, but the uncomfortable truth is that the Chiefs maintained their roster too AND improved their O-Line.   The Browns also avoided any key free agency loses AND improved their defensive secondary and brought in Clowney on the D-line.  The Browns and Chiefs will also benefit from another year of coaching and scheme stability just like the Bills.

The off season isn't over yet, but the free agency period is winding down and the Draft is over.  Baring injuries, any changes to the rosters of the Chiefs, Browns, and Bills before opening weekend will likely just be on the margins before opening weekend.  When Andy Reid looks out across the AFC, I think he is probably more worried about what is going on in Cleveland than what is going on in Buffalo.  I think the Browns have improved enough this off season to move past us and become the primary threat to the Chiefs this year. 

Dude Baker Mayfield ain’t Josh Allen and they aren’t even in the same conversation 

• Like (+1) 4

Can't argue much with Inigo. Thought the Browns had an amazing draft. I too would rank us 3rd in the AFC. Still not convinced that Mayfield is a longterm qb? Once we restructure our defense we should be moving ahead of Cleveland with the Chargers close behind. The Colts success will depend on if Wentz can reboot?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

19 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The Browns couldn't beat Chad Henne who did everything he could to hand them the game.

That said, the Browns got a lot better on paper this offseason. It's going to come down to Mayfield I think. If he takes a leap forward, they'll be very tough to beat and should have us eclipsed in talent.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 3

My thinking is that the Browns actually have the best roster in the NFL. That secondary could be something special as well, with grant delpit coming in. Has to em the ingredients to be the best defense since the Hawks SB team. You put Allen or Mahomes on that roster and it’s capable of going 16-0.

I think the Bills, if they get a nice leap from AJE and Cody Ford, have the 2nd best roster on the AFC

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1