Best 5 Offensive Lineman Could Be Interesting

10 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Bates or Boettger beats out Ford at left guard...

I think Ford will be trade bate come camp time - when some guard somewhere gets hurt.

20 hours ago, BubbaT said:

Ok, it's 2022. Who is our center? Thought they might draft a developmental one. 

Feliciano or Bates??

19 hours ago, scuba guy said:

What ever happened to trey Adam's

He was one of those trees from last year

Retired 

Can the Bills save money this year by releasing Morse?

I agree with the OP.  I think the starting 5 competition is going to be fun to watch.  Charles Davis said today on OBL that prior to the draft, he expected Brown to start 10 games or more this year for his team.  He tempered that in light of being drafted by the Bills who are returning their starters.  Still, I expect this year's o line to be more athletic and physical.

On 5/2/2021 at 3:48 PM, BubbaT said:

OK. I'll hold you to it. Morse won't be on the roster (cap casualty) and they have no developmental one on the roster that I can see nor the resources after the Allen/Edmunds contracts to sign a good one in FA

Bates is that developmental player you don’t think exists..., he can play all O line positions, on top of that, Feliciano plays center as well, ya gotta keep track of the players we have before you make blanket statements..., just sayin,

On 5/2/2021 at 3:26 PM, chris heff said:

Starting five could be Dawkins, Lamp, Morse, Feliciano and Williams. Has Ford really shown anything? They have tried him at three different positions. He could get traded before the season starts.

Agree.  This is interesting.  The "Bean and McDermott are (blindly) loyal to the guys they draft" narrative does not fit in Ford's case.

Dawkins-Feliciano-Morse-Ford-Williams is a solid line if they can stay healthy.

Forrest Lamp will fight for a guard spot this year and Spencer Brown will compete for RT next season after a year of learning.

With Trey Adams retiring and Ty Nsekhe leaving, backup tackle was actually a huge need. Bobby Hart is just a placeholder until the coaching staff feels comfortable with the progress of Brown and Doyle. Bates is a wildcard and his versatility is definitely an asset (he hasn't allowed a sack yet in 160 snaps at multiple positions on the o-line)

Edited by Allen2Diggs

On 5/2/2021 at 11:05 AM, All I Need is Hope said:

I know we extended Darryl Williams this year, however, with especially Spencer Brown, it will be interesting to see if he lights it up at RT... maybe Williams goes to swing or guard.

Watching Brown's tape now.  He is fluid, can bend and just engulfs people.

Good problems to have :)

Barring injury, there is a near 100% chance DW is the RT the entire year. I think Brown could be a good RT but he probably needs a year or two. 

On 5/2/2021 at 4:38 PM, Locomark said:

This was my main problem with this years draft in general. All of our top 3 picks have a lot of potential but most scouts talk about our picks being 1-3 year project guys.  Well we are in win now mode so I don’t want this to be a throw away year because we didn’t add talent that helps us immediately. We could have added an immediate starter on OL at Guard or at least a likely next year’s center in round 2-3 because those guys were available, but we didn’t. So if we take a step backward this year we can blame the front office. It’s a risk. 

Which draft pick would be an immediate starter on the OL?  Why do we assume Morse’s replacement will be a draft pick? And how is that “win now?”

On 5/2/2021 at 11:05 AM, All I Need is Hope said:

I know we extended Darryl Williams this year, however, with especially Spencer Brown, it will be interesting to see if he lights it up at RT... maybe Williams goes to swing or guard.

Watching Brown's tape now.  He is fluid, can bend and just engulfs people.

Good problems to have :)

Never has there been a more appropriate user name. 😆 

You're Spencer's uncle aren't you?

D.Will held his own last year including making TJ Watt look quite pedestrian. I hope he makes the team but no way he beats out Williams.

On 5/2/2021 at 10:14 AM, TheBrownBear said:

My understanding is that Brown has a ways to go in his development, so I think we're looking at a move like this in 2022 at the earliest 

That's my thinking.  He needs to learn the protections, he needs to maybe up his game a bit to the pro level.

Williams starts this year but if Brown really comes on, we could move on from Bobby Hart, which would not make me sad.

2 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Dawkins-Feliciano-Morse-Ford-Williams is a solid line if they can stay healthy.

Flip it.  Dawkins-Ford-Morse-Feliciano-Williams

Ford will be competing for a starting spot with Boettger and with Lamp. 

Feliciano will potentially be competing for a starting spot with Jamil Douglas (started games at RG for the Titans) and possibly some competition from Jordan Devey. 

I think the message is "we want run blocking, or we want your space while we try someone else"

Forrest Lamp will fight for a guard spot this year and Spencer Brown will compete for RT next season after a year of learning.

With Trey Adams retiring and Ty Nsekhe leaving, backup tackle was actually a huge need. Bobby Hart is just a placeholder until the coaching staff feels comfortable with the progress of Brown and Doyle. Bates is a wildcard and his versatility is definitely an asset (he hasn't allowed a sack yet in 160 snaps at multiple positions on the o-line)

I'm not sure why you say Bates is a wildcard.  He's their swing tackle and can play anywhere else on the line including C.  He's a lock on the roster until someone is proven better.  But, we did have games where both Dawkins and Williams went down.

7 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Bates is that developmental player you don’t think exists..., he can play all O line positions, on top of that, Feliciano plays center as well, ya gotta keep track of the players we have before you make blanket statements..., just sayin,

Feliciano is an average guard and center (and is paid like one). Since they couldn't run between the tackles with Morse, Feliciano and Boettger pretty much at all and since they got their lunch eaten by good D tackles all season (Are Chris Jones and Frank Clark done chasing Josh yet) upgrades with better athletes (ie higher draft picks...look at the new OT's this year) seemed logical. It is doubtful drafted interior O linemen would start in 2021 but if you get them in and on the roster, 2022 is possible.  Morse and Feliciano might be feisty and experienced but both are both candidates to be released after this season. Frankly they are just ok players.  Bates has taken exactly 1 series at center in a regular game (and they replaced him with Feliciano). He's been their backup tackle mostly. If he is their heir apparent at center, fine but I'll wait to see him play there a little before I coronate him.  He seems like a useful backup player and i think Feliciano would be too. Morse's concussions and salary make him expendable.  If you want to continue with meh guys in the middle of your offensive line,  that's ok by me but I'd prefer cheaper and more athletic upgrades. With the contracts they are paying to Allen and Edmunds and perhaps Oliver after next year, average mid level free agent types like they've signed aren't feasible and will keep them from getting to where they want to go.  

Edited by BubbaT

I’m betting it’s Dawkins, Ford, Morse, Feliciano, D. Williams.  Ford is a natural LG and always throughout his youth shined in this spot.  It was foolish, but out of necessity to put him at RT.  I know there is a buzz after we drafted two tackles and a guard this past weekend, but they are more fir depth and possibly the future.

Ill predict Ford will have a good comeback season this year post injury.

On 5/2/2021 at 8:28 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

Williams ain’t moving. We sure love to “kick” guys inside here. Listen, when he was signed, Beane talked a ton about Williams struggling in Carolina because he was playing out of position at guard and left tackle. Dude is a RT and has proven his worth there. Our new draftees should make the team as backup tackles, as long as they are good enough to come in if there is an unfortunate injury. 

As far as I am concerned our tackles and center are locked in. Feliciano is likely locked in as well, though i think he is the perfect backup. But I think those 4 interior guys Feliciano, Ford, Boettger, Lamp are battling for those two starting spots. I don’t think Bates is in the mix, but I hope he is. I do like his potential and he is still very young. I like the prospects of the Anderson kid as well. 

I am a little biased, but I love Forrest Lamp and have since draft time. He is already the best pass blocking guard on our team and he has not played a down yet here. He also owned a 9.56 RAS. He is still very young, just a couple of months older than Ike. I hope he takes one of the guard spots and one of Ford or Boettger take the other. I know people will disagree with me, but I kind of wish they didn’t re-sign Feliciano and went with all these young guys. Based on what they were doing here in the draft it seems like they are starting to look for more athletic linemen. 

But remember just a few short years ago when we were watching the likes of Erik Pears and Mike Gandy. We are in a good place on the O-line, we just need to find the best combination of players. 

I love Mongo.

He's the nastiest guy we have on the OL, and we need that.

Josh's rookie season the OL was a glaring weakness. Our starters were as follows:

Dawkins (LT) - Ryan Groy (LG) - Russell Bodine (C) - Vlad Ducasse (RG) - Jordan Mills (RT)

Depth: Conor McDermott, Wyatt Teller (made a mistake trading that one), Adam Redmond, John Miller, and Marshall Newhouse

Outside of Dawkins, that was an absolutely atrocious OL. Offensive even. No wonder we have so many highlights of Josh absolutely running for his life during his rookie season. We made one mistake in not keeping Teller, but such is life. 

Now, going into Josh's 4th year, our starting lineup consists of:

Dawkins (LT) - Ford/Lamp/Feliciano (LG) - Morse/Feliciano (C) - Ford/Lamp/Feliciano (RG) - Williams (RT)

Depth: Ford/Lamp (depending on which one does not crack the starting lineup), Brown, Doyle, Bates, Boettger, Anderson

It's night and day here with the talent level swing on the OL over the last 3 years. We have gone from it being one of the weakest spots on the team to one where us on the board are having convos about flipping guys for picks because there's just not enough room to keep them all. Beane and McDermott don't get enough credit in this area imo. The options we have for starters now and the depth behind them is really good. We also have guys with have the potential to plug in as starters at some point down the road over the course of their rookie contracts. Guys like Spencer Brown, Tommy Doyle, and Jack Anderson all have that potential according to all of the post-draft interviews I have seen. It's great "problem" to have. 

This is a good topic with a lot of competition. Barring injuries I think Williams, ford, and Dawkins are pretty locked in. The competition comes with the other two spots between IB, Lamp, Bates, and mongo. I believe brown will be the swing tackle with Bates also being a possibility if Brown isn't ready yet to contribute.