It looks like we came out of this weekend without a true one tech

Do we even know if the Bills care to have another true 1 Tech on the roster behind Star?  

Seems to me, they might be fine with having a 1 Tech, a hybrid and a 3 Tech... which we have.  

This isn’t like last year where COVID opt-outs meant 1 Tech DL were next to impossible to find...  Usually you can simply sign one at any point in the season, should you need one. 

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

We have Star. He's the starter. Butler now has experience playing it, too.

Neither of them are particularly good at it. Hopefully they modify their scheme more than they did last year. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Neither of them are particularly good at it. Hopefully they modify their scheme more than they did last year. 

What??? Star is very good as a 1 tech and that became even more clear when he was missing last year.

You understand that 1 tech DTs are meant to take up multiple blockers and stuff holes so other guys can make tackles, right?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What??? Star is very good as a 1 tech and that became even more clear when he was missing last year.

You understand that 1 tech DTs are meant to take up multiple blockers and stuff holes so other guys can make tackles, right?

Teams ran right through the middle in 2019 and 2020. He makes little to no difference. I've seen him get handled 1v1 many times. The biggest differences were the loss of contain that Shaq provided and the loss of penetration from Philips. They let the sack leaders of an already bad defensive line walk and it got worse. Not really all that shocking. 

23 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Teams ran right through the middle in 2019 and 2020. He makes little to no difference. I've seen him get handled 1v1 many times. The biggest differences were the loss of contain that Shaq provided and the loss of penetration from Philips. They let the sack leaders of an already bad defensive line walk and it got worse. Not really all that shocking. 

Phillips was not playing the defense properly and yes he got sacks but due to his freelancing many more holes were made in the defense.  Biggest hole in defense was retirement of linebacker Lorenzo Alexander who was able to do so many different things for the Bills.

Early last year I think Phillips was still recovering from the injury he had in 2019. He started looking better late last season, I'm guessing McBeane thinks he'll be fully healthy this season. Some of these big guys take a little longer to get back to 100% after an ACL tear.

22 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Phillips was not playing the defense properly and yes he got sacks but due to his freelancing many more holes were made in the defense.  Biggest hole in defense was retirement of linebacker Lorenzo Alexander who was able to do so many different things for the Bills.

Except go in coverage. I loved Lorax, but he was a slow liability out there in the end. I agree on Philips though, it's the same sort of stuff our DEs have been doing where they don't maintain and they get burned. 

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I wanted a big fat tub of goo out of the draft.  Didn't get one.  I bet they sign Short.

I wanted one as well and had one in all of my mocks. But after really thinking about it and reading others posts, I think they'll roll with Harry and Star as the 1DT's. Harry did get better through the year and I really doubt that Star is going to let the team down and come in out of shape. I am sure he wants a ring and probably doesn't have much time left to get one.

On 5/2/2021 at 12:01 PM, ~Kostabi~ said:

am I the only person who had to google what 1Tech meant? I must be old school (OLD) I always refer to that position as nose tackle..Id have known what That was. This was the google definition of 1 tech in case anyone else didnt know

The 1-technique is also referred to as Nose Tackle, and is very similar to 0-technique in that they both play over the center. The defining difference between the two, is the 1-technique shades over one of the shoulders of the center and usually is responsible for just one gap.

Nose tackle often means the center d lineman in a 3-4 defense.

Heh?  Believe it or not..... there are other defensive line schemes than that don't require a big 0/1 technique guy.  Honest !!!  

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Buffalo was significantly better against the run in 2019 vs. the run with Star in the lineup than without him in 2020 by almost every metric.

Buffalo gave up more yards vs. the run in 2020 than 2019

Buffalo gave up more YPA vs. the run in 2020 than 2019

Buffalo gave up more 1st downs vs. the run in 2020 than 2019

Buffalo gave up more TDs vs. the run in 2020 than 2019

And I believe the disparity is even worse because I think Tremaine Edmunds got better at MLB vs. the run this year.

Don't take it from me, though... take it from Brandon Beane:

“I know he’s not a 10-sack guy and things like that, but what he provides, not only the run game, but just the ability for our linebackers to roam free, I think it took (the defensive line) a little time (to adjust).”

and Sean McDermott:

"When  it comes down to playing defensive tackle, it’s the most unselfish position on the defense," ..."“Those one techniques, sometimes don’t get a lot of recognition for the dirty work or get their name in the paper."

On 5/2/2021 at 10:54 AM, Brandon said:

I'd rather the GM stick to his board than reach for need.  I've seen enough of that with guys like Maybin, John McCargo and Travares Tillman over the years.  

In his drafts, Beane has clearly displayed he drafts for need with his 1st rounders or 1st picks. 2018, QB and MLB. 2019, Ed Oliver, DT. 2020, 2nd round, Epenesa, DE. 2021, DE. I do agree that he may pick BPA in later rounds, but it’s usually need for the first pick. Of course, in the beginning, we had many needs. But, his picks of DE in the last 2 drafts are very telling. 

19 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Buffalo was significantly better against the run in 2019 vs. the run with Star in the lineup than without him in 2020 by almost every metric.

Buffalo gave up more yards vs. the run in 2020 than 2019

Buffalo gave up more YPA vs. the run in 2020 than 2019

Buffalo gave up more 1st downs vs. the run in 2020 than 2019

Buffalo gave up more TDs vs. the run in 2020 than 2019

And I believe the disparity is even worse because I think Tremaine Edmunds got better at MLB vs. the run this year.

Don't take it fro and

“I know he’s not a 10-sack guy and things like that, but what he provides, not only the run game, but just the ability for our linebackers to roam free, I think it took (the defensive line) a little time (to adjust).”

and Sean McDermott:

"When  it comes down to playing defensive tackle, it’s the most unselfish position on the defense," ..."“Those one techniques, sometimes don’t get a lot of recognition for the dirty work or get their name in the paper."

Hmmm.  Buffalo was one game away from the SB in 2020.  ... .... ....  By the way, if you score a lot of points quickly, then the other team gets the ball back a lot of times. It is in the rule book and shouldn't be ignored.  AND you can then play defense in a manner that requires them to run a lot of plays and use a lot of time to score... and increase their chance of a turnover or two bad plays in a set of downs, which leads to them having to punt. 

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

3 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Hmmm.  Buffalo was one game away from the SB in 2020.  ... .... ....  By the way, if you score a lot of points quickly, then the other team gets the ball back a lot of times. It is in the rule book and shouldn't be ignored.  AND you can then play defense in a manner that requires them to run a lot of plays and use a lot of time to score... and increase their chance of a turnover or two bad plays in a set of downs, which leads to them having to punt. 

Yes, we were.  And the run defense wasn't even an issue in the AFC Championship.

And the Bills were 13-3 and of those 3 losses, only our loss to the Chiefs was where we lost arguably because of our run Defense.  And in the year as the season ended, the Chiefs played a meaningless Week 17 game that they lost, so we wouldn't have gotten Homefield advantage even in beating the Chiefs because they likely would have started everyone Week 17 and likely would have won.

But what if they didn't?  What if that one win gave Buffalo Homefield Advantage throughout the playoffs?  Would our season have ended in the AFC Championship game?

Buffalo was great last year, but our Defense as a whole was worse than 2019, in particular our run Defense.  Personally, I would like our run D to get better while continuing to improve in other areas of the team that needs improving (pass rush) and keeping our dynamic offense in tact.

Voila.... Star allows us to do that in 2021.

I don't like being the "sign this guy that this other team just cut" guy. But Cowboys are releasing Antwaun Woods, who would be a great fit as a NT on our defense. He's stout, but isn't just a space eating big guy. I guess they are releasing him for cap reasons. 

On 5/2/2021 at 10:50 AM, wppete said:

15802.png

This^^^

( say this with a French accent)

“We already got one

its very nice...” 

• Awesome! (+1) 1