It looks like we came out of this weekend without a true one tech

24 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Yeah, why would anyond defend a GM of a team that has gone from 6-10 to 10-6 (playoffs) to 13-3 (one game from Super Bowl). It's hard to defend that.

Been there with the pets though, although one of my cats seems to love Brandon Beane (is staring at his press conference as if he were a bird).

A6-F0-A3-F6-B638-46-D7-8-CC2-A6-D0655919

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BTB said:

If it is so easy to fill, and if the claims of missing Star was such a big loss, then why did they do nothing to address this last season?

I remember it being mentioned that a lot of teams struggled with this position at times last year because big DL were some of the highest opt out numbers.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

He did upgrade IDL quite significantly by adding Rousseau and Boogie. 1T will probably be between Star, Oliver, Butler and Phillips. Don’t forget that a few players may shake loose from the tree during preseason cuts. Ertz may still be an option and likely a solid corner.

I don’t want to see Oliver and 1Tech put in the same sentence.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

He did upgrade IDL quite significantly by adding Rousseau and Boogie. 1T will probably be between Star, Oliver, Butler and Phillips. Don’t forget that a few players may shake loose from the tree during preseason cuts. Ertz may still be an option and likely a solid corner.

The only 1T DT you mentioned above is Star.  H. Phillips, Oliver, and Butler are 3T.  Maybe as a backup Philips.  Obviously who was there was not as good according to Beane than the guys we picked.  The talent coming out next year will be much more deep so don’t be surprised if this could be our 1st rd. Pick.

3 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Beane stays painfully true to his board. And he has plenty of defenders here. He could have drafted 4 punters in a row and people would be saying “the game is all about field position!”

I'd rather the GM stick to his board than reach for need.  I've seen enough of that with guys like Maybin, John McCargo and Travares Tillman over the years.  

Edited by Brandon
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Either a better player at the time of pick or picked before us so Beane moved onto another player......and any chances of a UDFA  looks like it didnt happen

So the question no is.....did Beane consider it a top priority or not.

Star is back.....so there is a buffer here.....but past him there does not appear to be a true one tech on this team yet.

Harrison Phillips is a 1T

10 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

The only 1T DT you mentioned above is Star.  H. Phillips, Oliver, and Butler are 3T.  Maybe as a backup Philips.  Obviously who was there was not as good according to Beane than the guys we picked.  The talent coming out next year will be much more deep so don’t be surprised if this could be our 1st rd. Pick.

Why do you think Harrison Phillips is a 3T?  In 2019 he was alternating snaps at 1T with Star before he got hurt

2020 was a bit different because the Bills were doing "1T by committee" and guys were lining up all over the place, but I don't think Phillips is a 3T by natural position.

You may be confusing him with talk of "Phillips at 3T" last season, which was Jordan Phillips not Harry.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BTB said:

If it is so easy to fill, and if the claims of missing Star was such a big loss, then why did they do nothing to address this last season?

To be fair, they should have. There were a couple options available.

I'd like to see a backup 1tech added because I can't stand seeing Oliver (who I'm higher on than some) out of position.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Too small he just doesn’t block enough sun

Nevertheless, it is so.

Star is listed as 6'2", 315 and probably plays about 20 lbs heavier than that, or even more but that may not be a good thing.

Phillips is listed as 6'3", 307.  He said in an interview after his 2019 injury that he was losing a bit of weight from 320 while he recovered.  He visibly got bigger during the 2020 season.

1T and 3T are not wholly about size.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Nevertheless, it is so.

Star is listed as 6'2", 315 and probably plays about 20 lbs heavier than that

Phillips is listed as 6'3", 307.  He said in an interview after his 2019 injury that he was losing a bit of weight from 320 while he recovered.  He visibly got bigger during the 2020 season.

1T and 3T are not wholly about size.

Agree. As proven by Jordan Phillips who was a big man but much better at the 3T than the 1T. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I think this team is always looking to upgrade any position they feel they can. They apparently felt there wasn't a 1T worth taking over the specific player they chose with each pick. There will still be options to add a 1T this offseason if they choose.

I think there wasn't someone they liked near where they picked, and that the plan is indeed to look for a vet who gets cut.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. As proven by Jordan Phillips who was a big man but much better at the 3T than the 1T. 

Vernon Butler, same, though I think the Bills view him as their "break glass in emergency" 1T guy now.

• Agree 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Vernon Butler, same, though I think the Bills view him as their "break glass in emergency" 1T guy now.

Yea Butler is a bit more of an either/or guy than Jordan but again I agree he is a more natural fit at 3T. 

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He clearly didn't want to be there at the start of the season, but did better as the season went on.

Agreed. They started the season with mainly him and Harrison rotating at the 1T, but when that wasn't working went to Jefferson and even for that strange run in the middle Ed taking more 1T work despite being the two smaller DTs (and Zimmer who is also a smaller guy) and then ended up back where they started with Harrison and Butler but with more success. I do think after losing Star having limited camp and pre-season probably meant they didn't really get chance to rep their alternatives as much as they would ordinarily in a normal year if, for instance, Star had got hurt at the start of camp. They felt like they were adjusting on the fly a lot early on. By the end of the year they had a workable formula though. 

• Like (+1) 1