Wait a sec... maybe Brown and Doyle are... Guards?

Ike Boettger, our starting Left Guard last year, is 6’6” 313.

Mitch Morse, our starting Center, is 6’6” 304.

I don’t think it’s insane to think Tommy Doyle, who is 6’8” 320, has short arms, and has experience at guard, might play guard at some point for us.

7 hours ago, Utah John said:

I think this is pretty much the nail in the coffin for Cody Ford at tackle.  It's looked all along he was better suited to play guard anyway.  

There's gonna be a problem with roster spots for O and D linemen.  Beane wanted to draft guys who could mostly watch for a year, but how many roster spots can e set aside for watchers?

I agree with this.  Cody Ford is sink or swim at guard now.  Brown may compete to be the swing tackle this year.  I think Doyle needs some tie to clean up technical flaws in his game before he can play a meaningful role.  The question is, can Buffalo find some place to stash him where another team won't be able to poach him.  Look for him to sprain an ankle in training camp.

Brad Butler was a 6’8’’ guard 

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

I don’t think it’s insane to think Tommy Doyle, who is 6’8” 320, has short arms, and has experience at guard, might play guard at some point for us.

Agreed, Brown seems like a strong athletic freak, perfect swing tackle 

Anderson could develop into something solid too

13 hours ago, Rigotz said:

When I heard that the Bills drafted two Swing Tackles with their 3rd and 5th round picks, I was a little disappointed. It seemed like Center/Guard should have been at least one of the picks.

I assumed, of course, that these guys were both future tackles because they’re 6’8” and 6’9” and tall players don’t typically make for great guards/centers. They get out-leveraged and clog throwing lanes.

But then, I stumbled across an interesting fact....

Mitch Morse is the tallest Center in the league at 6’6”

Ike Boettger is the tallest Guard in the league at 6’6”

Maybe... Josh’s height and playing style allows Spencer Brown and Tommy Doyle to ultimately kick inside? Perhaps that’s wishful thinking, but certainly worth mentioning.

Guards needs yo get low with leverage,  these two guys would be useful ass great pass blockers because of their length and being able to get their hands on DE'S rushing the passer. They could stuggle run blocking because that requires leverage & getting low to the ground so you can move them backwards.

3 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Keep in mind many here want to replace Morse and Ike played well, but nothing earth shattering. Probably not the best comparison.

9 hours ago, Utah John said:

I think this is pretty much the nail in the coffin for Cody Ford at tackle.  It's looked all along he was better suited to play guard anyway.  

There's gonna be a problem with roster spots for O and D linemen.  Beane wanted to draft guys who could mostly watch for a year, but how many roster spots can e set aside for watchers?

Signing Williams to an extension and Beane stating that Ford will likely be a starter next season pretty much guaranteed Ford staying at guard.

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You guys are reaching to defend the Doyle selection. There is no defense for it. It was a bad pick. They should have gone pure center or 1-tech DT.

This is a silly take.

We'll know whether it was a good pick down the road when we find out whether or not he's a good player. 

That's the fact. Picks aren't judged by what position they are at. They are judged by whether the player picked is a good value for the pick down the road.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Brad Butler was a 6’8’’ guard 

I've always seen him listed as 6' 7". Maybe you've seen something else somewhere? I checked and he hadn't gone to the combine, so there's no measurement there.

I really doubt these guys will be guards, but you never know for sure.

Edited by Thurman#1

26 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I've always seen him listed as 6' 7". Maybe you've seen something else somewhere? I checked and he hadn't gone to the combine, so there's no measurement there.

I really doubt these guys will be guards, but you never know for sure.

Maybe he was 6’7’’, still a tall ass dude though!

18 hours ago, Rigotz said:

When I heard that the Bills drafted two Swing Tackles with their 3rd and 5th round picks, I was a little disappointed. It seemed like Center/Guard should have been at least one of the picks.

I assumed, of course, that these guys were both future tackles because they’re 6’8” and 6’9” and tall players don’t typically make for great guards/centers. They get out-leveraged and clog throwing lanes.

But then, I stumbled across an interesting fact....

Mitch Morse is the tallest Center in the league at 6’6”

Ike Boettger is the tallest Guard in the league at 6’6”

Maybe... Josh’s height and playing style allows Spencer Brown and Tommy Doyle to ultimately kick inside? Perhaps that’s wishful thinking, but certainly worth mentioning.

OMG

I fail to see why a team can't play four tackles.  Aren't tackles the designated QB bodyguards?  So if your best asset is Josh Allen, and you pass far more than run, why not put the best bodyguards out there?

I remember the days when each team played a strong safety and a free safety.  I have not heard those designations in quite a while.  Perhaps the offensive line designations will fade away as well. 

Maybe Beane is on to something.

We saw Butler in an office supply store right before his rookie season. We went there to get printer ink and there was an enormous guy in line in front of us wearing an NFL Rookie Symposium t-shirt and I recognized that it was him. I didn't bother him or say anything but it was the first time I saw a Bills player out and about. 

To make this more related to the thread, I never thought he would be a guard.