Wait a sec... maybe Brown and Doyle are... Guards?

When I heard that the Bills drafted two Swing Tackles with their 3rd and 5th round picks, I was a little disappointed. It seemed like Center/Guard should have been at least one of the picks.

I assumed, of course, that these guys were both future tackles because they’re 6’8” and 6’9” and tall players don’t typically make for great guards/centers. They get out-leveraged and clog throwing lanes.

But then, I stumbled across an interesting fact....

Mitch Morse is the tallest Center in the league at 6’6”

Ike Boettger is the tallest Guard in the league at 6’6”

Maybe... Josh’s height and playing style allows Spencer Brown and Tommy Doyle to ultimately kick inside? Perhaps that’s wishful thinking, but certainly worth mentioning.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

When I heard that the Bills drafted two Swing Tackles with their 3rd and 5th round picks, I was a little disappointed. It seemed like Center/Guard should have been at least one of the picks.

I assumed, of course, that these guys were both future tackles because they’re 6’8” and 6’9” and tall players don’t typically make for great guards/centers. They get out-leveraged and clog throwing lanes.

Maybe... Josh’s height and playing style allows Spencer Brown and Tommy Doyle to ultimately kick inside? Perhaps that’s wishful thinking, but certainly worth mentioning.

We tried the experiment of a 6'8" guard with Erik Pears back in ? 2014 (Marrone)

I can't say I thought it was a success.

It's not the height of the QB that's the big issue, it's the leverage against the defender - "low man wins"

If we wanted guard/C we really should have looked there

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This was a thought I had (guards).. However, I’d think that they might be used early on (if they’re on the final roster) for short yardage, goal line situations, specific rushing plays, etc. These guys could be enough to push the line when needed. At least for the first season... 

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Nah...

Beane already dismissed that when it was asked about Brown in the Friday night zoom call...He said they would mix him inside for a couple reps (they do that with everyone), but only in case an emergency happens and they need to break glass...He's an OT...I'm guessing it will be the same with Doyle. They are both OT's...Very athletic, developmental, young OT's that should solidify both Tackle positions (one the eventual starter at RT and the other swing) for years to come as long as they stay healthy and take well to NFL coaching and training...B-)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Grand Magus BB's draft Was about BPA, but not like we think.

His BPA is based on BPA vs. Salary Cap.

They were jumping up and down for joy in the Draftroom because of all the salary they are going to save on premium positions.

• Like (+1) 2

The draft is always about in part salary control in premium positions.  Who costs the most?  Tackles, Edge Rushers, CB, and WR (because of Josh excluding QB).

They aren’t converting 6’ 8-9” guys to Guards.  Just think about the fundamentals of Tackles.  You want tall, long armed guys who can bend and have good hand positioning to keep pushing out, out, out.  Guards and Centers are first step guys who are maneuvering in the lower position for creating holes or pushing back the interior guys.

These guys are depth once they’re hopefully fully developed after Dawkins and D. Williams contracts are close to up.  They may never be starters, but our line this weekend got younger.

The defensive guys will see the field faster.

• Agree 3

I think this is pretty much the nail in the coffin for Cody Ford at tackle.  It's looked all along he was better suited to play guard anyway.  

There's gonna be a problem with roster spots for O and D linemen.  Beane wanted to draft guys who could mostly watch for a year, but how many roster spots can e set aside for watchers?

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I think this is pretty much the nail in the coffin for Cody Ford at tackle.  It's looked all along he was better suited to play guard anyway.  

There's gonna be a problem with roster spots for O and D linemen.  Beane wanted to draft guys who could mostly watch for a year, but how many roster spots can e set aside for watchers?

I think the final nail is hovering for his spot on the roster at all.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We tried the experiment of a 6'8" guard with Erik Pears back in ? 2014 (Marrone)

I can't say I thought it was a success.

It's not the height of the QB that's the big issue, it's the leverage against the defender - "low man wins"

If we wanted guard/C we really should have looked there

I expected C

Something I thought of that I Janet seen mentioned:  Since Brown is a former TE I think that in addition to being an OT that he gets tried as our blocking TE.  With the new rule last year that teams must carry eight active OL it makes sense that teams would use one of them to do double duty and save a gameday roster spot.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Rigotz said:

No, I think what it means is that the Bills are counting on Cody Ford to come back healthy and stay inside at G.

• Like (+1) 1