Tremaine Edmunds - Should the Bills pick up his 5th year option? Poll.

Should the Bills Pick up Tremaine Edmunds 5th year option (12.791M)  

281 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Pick up Tremaine Edmunds 5th year option (12.791M)?

• Yes
    • No

I’d be pretty surprised if they didn’t pick up his 5th year.  

And honestly, I can’t see why they wouldn’t.  He’s made 2 pro bowls, and been a guy whose played through injuries, loved by the team, and has not even peaked yet.  He still has even more potential, and his job should be easier this year compared to last year just being healthy and having a better front 7 with Star back and new additions.  

Calling it now:  As long as he stays healthy, he is going to make a 3rd Pro Bowl this year.  

For me the bigger question is if they will be able to afford to resign him to a second contract.  He is going to be a highly sought after FA and be one of the top FA’s on the market as a multi-pro bowl LB still so young with freakish physical traits.  

I voted no and this is why...  not an indictment on the player. I’ll be very surprised if it is picked up especially after Beane’s comments about two 5th year options at the same time and the cap inflexibility. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Seems like the spin is already being put out.  I’d think it hugely matters to the player whether the 5th year option is picked up. These guys are 1 play away from serious injury.  $12.7m guaranteed is a big deal and it signals where they are on the totem pole of the organization.  Every player drafted in front of him had their 5th year option exercised except Rosen. 

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I voted no and this is why...  not an indictment on the player. I’ll be very surprised if it is picked up especially after Beane’s comments about two 5th year options at the same time and the cap inflexibility. 

That’s a nice face-saving thing to say for Edmunds, but realistically if he was all that was hoped for the option would already have been picked up.  The reality is that they paid the guy that plays next to him and doled out contracts knowing what his option looked like.  If the cupboard is too bare to pay him, then that was a decision that was made to prioritize other players.  It wad not something that crept up on them.

I do think that the Bills would like to keep him, but at a market rate.  That’s tough to do with the team that drafted a player who has underperformed his 16th overall draft status.  The right move is to decline the option and let his play dictate what comes next.  If he balls out then try to extend him this season.  If not then let him test the FA market like Milano did and see if it makes sense for both sides to get a deal done. 

Mistake IMO.  But let’s see how it plays out. 

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s a nice face-saving thing to say for Edmunds, but realistically if he was all that was hoped for the option would already have been picked up.  The reality is that they paid the guy that plays next to him and doled out contracts knowing what his option looked like.  If the cupboard is too bare to pay him, then that was a decision that was made to prioritize other players.  It wad not something that crept up on them.

I do think that the Bills would like to keep him, but at a market rate.  That’s tough to do with the team that drafted a player who has underperformed his 16th overall draft status.  The right move is to decline the option and let his play dictate what comes next.  If he balls out then try to extend him this season.  If not then let him test the FA market like Milano did and see if it makes sense for both sides to get a deal done. 

Mistake IMO.  But let’s see how it plays out. 

It was picked up