Tremaine Edmunds - Should the Bills pick up his 5th year option? Poll.

Should the Bills Pick up Tremaine Edmunds 5th year option (12.791M)  

281 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Pick up Tremaine Edmunds 5th year option (12.791M)?

• Yes
    • No

5 minutes ago, BTB said:

Maybe I am just misreading some posts in this thread, but just to clarify for some, this 5th year option is for the 2022 season.  Unless traded, he is a Bill for 2021. Beane not drafting a MLB this past few days has nothing to do with them deciding whether or not to pick up Edmunds 5th year option.

Probably not but if they spent a 1st or 2nd round pick on a LB I'd be more inclined to guess they wouldn't pick up the option and make this a make or break year for him.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

At least as good as Luke Kuechly

I thought the same thing.  Kuechly is the FLOOR for his expectations?!

39 minutes ago, BTB said:

Maybe I am just misreading some posts in this thread, but just to clarify for some, this 5th year option is for the 2022 season.  Unless traded, he is a Bill for 2021. Beane not drafting a MLB this past few days has nothing to do with them deciding whether or not to pick up Edmunds 5th year option.

That is all correct 

yes. It is a no brainer after the draft we had.

2 hours ago, BTB said:

It does since the 5th year option has to be exercised in the next few days and the 2022 free agency / draft is a year away.

56 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

yes. It is a no brainer after the draft we had.

It does since the 5th year option has to be exercised in the next few days and the 2022 free agency / draft is a year away.

Actually it has to be executed by tomorrow, 5/3.  Not sure if it’s by 4 pm or midnight Eastern time.  I can’t find the time anywhere. 

21 hours ago, RunJoshRun said:

There wasn't an ILB in this weak draft close to his ability.

There aren’t many players in the league close to his ability. The irony is that if the Bills let him walk, fans would be clamoring  to sign a MLB with TE’s resume. 

4 hours ago, Locomark said:

Should and will. The question is what will his next deal look like. I would only make it a 3-4 year deal at most. 

It’s not the length of the deal that matters.  it’s guaranteed money that matters.  Teams can get out of almost every non QB deal after 3-4 years without much dead cap 

Edited by NewEra

Most teams have announced their plans regarding 5th year options.  Kind of bizarre that Beane is waiting this long.  Josh is obviously getting his option exercised.  Edmunds is the only decision that has to be made.  Reporters who cover the Bills not doing their jobs very well by not pressing Beane for an answer about Edmunds and allowing Beane off the hook with his semi-nonsensical answer tying the decisions together.  

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’s not the length of the deal that matters.  it’s guaranteed money that matters.  Teams can get out of almost every non QB deal after 3-4 years without much dead cap 

Depends if Jim Overdorf is involved; he has written some terrible contracts.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Most teams have announced their plans regarding 5th year options.  Kind of bizarre that Beane is waiting this long.  Josh is obviously getting his option exercised.  Edmunds is the only decision that has to be made.  Reporters who cover the Bills not doing their jobs very well by not pressing Beane for an answer about Edmunds and allowing Beane off the hook with his semi-nonsensical answer tying the decisions together.  

Sounds like you want Sullivan in press again.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

I think it would be a nice gesture for them to pick it up tomorrow, which his 19th birthday!

At this rate, if they sign him to a new deal, he'll be 15 by the time it's over...

• Haha (+1) 1

I’m of the mind they will pick up the option...if he doesn’t play up to expectations this season, I think they might look to try to trade him next offseason, rather than pay the 5th year option...they may want to let some other team overpay for his services...

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Doesn’t take a curmudgeon to state the obvious that the only real decision to be made is Edmunds.  I mean Darnold got his 5th year option exercised.  

The point is in press conferences reporters were told what was on table and Sulky would shout out questions which were not going to get answered just to do a LAMP (Look At Me, a Prick)  which added nothing.  The front office is not going to answer the question which could hinder their bargaining with agent & player.

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

The point is in press conferences reporters were told what was on table and Sulky would shout out questions which were not going to get answered just to do a LAMP (Look At Me, a Prick)  which added nothing.  The front office is not going to answer the question which could hinder their bargaining with agent & player.

I’m not looking for the Pulitzer Prize in investigative journalism, but I don’t think it’s too much to ask that one Bills reporter be non-shill and brave enough to ask a follow up to Beane that he couldn’t seriously be contemplating not exercising Josh’s 5th year option.  

I think they will pick it up. Even if average he still plays every snap. He'll be worth the cap hit. It might take 2 players to replace him. What he lacks in recognition skills he makes up for with his length and speed. There's still a lot of room for him to grow. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

20 hours ago, ALF said:

Still think he has the height and speed to be a good OLB to cover a TE. 

Agreed. Hes been misused the moment he got here. Should have been the WLB from day 1 instead of being forced to play MLB.

Now we have two WLB and no MLB on the team. It doesn't work.