Tremaine Edmunds - Should the Bills pick up his 5th year option? Poll.

Should the Bills Pick up Tremaine Edmunds 5th year option (12.791M)  

281 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Pick up Tremaine Edmunds 5th year option (12.791M)?

• Yes
    • No

So far 16 players have had the option exercised and 1 declined (Billy Price).

Allen will have his exercised and probably Edmunds (but I'm not 100% sure on him).

I am curious if it's done today or they wait until tomorrow.

Amazing how tricky of a situation this has turned out to be- a definite indictment on Edmund’s past performance...had he lived up to expectation this would have been a no brainer...likewise, had he been a bust this would have been a no brainer...but being as mediocre as he has been has made this an especially difficult decision, with him and Josh being drafted in the same year...

• Agree 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/30/fifth-year-option-tracker-for-2018-nfl-first-round-picks/amp/

Here the update on fifth year tenders for 2018 first round picks as of two days ago.  Allen and Edmunds are the two highest picks with no decision.  Obviously we are picking up Allen’s.  I have been of the opinion that we are not picking up Edmunds and the delay in announcing Allen’s is that the FO is avoiding the obvious question about Edmunds.  Lots to talk about after the draft so there won’t be the blitz in the press there would have been with nothing but mock drafts to otherwise talk about. 

• Like (+1) 1

YES.

But only as a business decision.   Not because he is especially good or valuable.

1)  they didnt draft his replacement.  Who is also not already on the roster.

2)  the difference between the option year payment vs the franchise-tag payment (if we dont exercise the option) isnt huge.

3)  the cap will probably grow, and the Option locks in his 5th year price.

4)  He can still be traded in year 5, and the exercised option might increase his value, so a new team can have a test-drive year.

-Me myself, I think they trade him after 2021 and before 2022.  Right before/after they draft his replacement.

-----

Edit:  this thread is turning into "Is Tremaine Edmunds worth the money?"  But that is not the question presented here.  That question has been addressed in too many other posts.

Edited by maddenboy

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/30/fifth-year-option-tracker-for-2018-nfl-first-round-picks/amp/

Here the update on fifth year tenders for 2018 first round picks as of two days ago.  Allen and Edmunds are the two highest picks with no decision.  Obviously we are picking up Allen’s.  I have been of the opinion that we are not picking up Edmunds and the delay in announcing Allen’s is that the FO is avoiding the obvious question about Edmunds.  Lots to talk about after the draft so there won’t be the blitz in the press there would have been with nothing but mock drafts to otherwise talk about. 

I was just thinking about this exact scenario myself.  Everybody knows we're picking up Allen's option, so why the delay?  Well, the delay makes sense if they've already decided to pass on Edmunds's fifth year.  Not the decision I would make, but it would be understandable.

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

I was just thinking about this exact scenario myself.  Everybody knows we're picking up Allen's option, so why the delay?  Well, the delay makes sense if they've already decided to pass on Edmunds's fifth year.  Not the decision I would make, but it would be understandable.

Yeah.  Really no other reason to delay.

I would decline it, if he has a great year you try and sign him long term at a higher rate but no one will care if he has a huge year because now he is living up to his potential. How much more would the cap hit be?

If he continues his current play you would be able to sign him for cheaper or decide to go in a different direction

Without a doubt, yes. Look I know he's been far from perfect. I'd actually rather see him back for that 5th year on the option rather then extend at the moment. Give the kid this season to show he can overcome a season where he was clearly playing hurt. Give him that 5th year to show it wasn't a fluke and then extend if worthy. If not, move on. 

I mean he's only [insert age here]. Look at all the potential.

They shouldn't, but they will. I wanted to see them draft his replacement this year, but it seems they're going to be content with what they've got. Maybe he finally breaks out this year, but thus far his play hasn't warranted keeping him at that price.

15 hours ago, Craig Oi said:

OK, this is how I see it...Edmunds maybe miscast in the middle but I don't blame them for trying he is a massive man in the middle. Brass tacks here, if his instincts don't improve and he is still missing assignments, miss reading gaps, etc. I'd still take the flyer and put him in the 'Zo role, that is where he excelled in college and where he may fit best. I hate to say it but he'll never come close to Luke Kuechly, but who can? He is still a very good player and just maybe miscast as a MLB.

They want him as MLB so he can go to either side to support but he is not knowledgeable to be calling our assignments and at times other players were helping to do it including Klien.  I think with his size me needs to be lining up against the TEs since we are having trouble covering them.

Try to offer him a contract with a 2nd bonus payable to keep him after end of year.

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

Amazing how tricky of a situation this has turned out to be- a definite indictment on Edmund’s past performance...had he lived up to expectation this would have been a no brainer...likewise, had he been a bust this would have been a no brainer...but being as mediocre as he has been has made this an especially difficult decision, with him and Josh being drafted in the same year...

That and the inexplicable selection to the Pro Bowl this year makes the decision a few million dollars harder.

Yes they should, Edmunds is an above average player. They should try to work out a long term deal before he actually plays on that deal that is more friendly to the team. 

12M (or 17M) for one year is too much for him. But getting him under a long term deal should be a big priority, not Josh Allen big but you know.

17 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Now that the draft is over and the Bills have until Monday to decide on whether to pick up his 12.791M dollar 5th year option for the 2022 season.  Was interested to see where fans stood on this.  

I voted yes...but man it's tough cause he just haven't dominated like alot of us thought he would. I expected him to at least be Luke Kuechly...not Ray Lewis but just that sideline to sideline MLB...that's all over the field...making plays before everyone...getting INT's, knocking down passes in the middle of the field...blowing up the runs. 

None of this is really happening consistently...but I still think he has room to grow...which is why I say take the 5th yr option 

17 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

I voted yes...but man it's tough cause he just haven't dominated like alot of us thought he would. I expected him to at least be Luke Kuechly...not Ray Lewis but just that sideline to sideline MLB...that's all over the field...making plays before everyone...getting INT's, knocking down passes in the middle of the field...blowing up the runs. 

None of this is really happening consistently...but I still think he has room to grow...which is why I say take the 5th yr option 

At least as good as Luke Kuechly

• Haha (+1) 1

I'd be fine with either side of this argument. They can decline the option and give it another year and then just tag him for slightly more money if they want to do it that way, or they can pick the 5th year up now and save a million or two without having the 4th year to check in on his progress. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable signing him long-term right now.

Maybe I am just misreading some posts in this thread, but just to clarify for some, this 5th year option is for the 2022 season.  Unless traded, he is a Bill for 2021. Beane not drafting a MLB this past few days has nothing to do with them deciding whether or not to pick up Edmunds 5th year option.