Tremaine Edmunds - Should the Bills pick up his 5th year option? Poll.

Should the Bills Pick up Tremaine Edmunds 5th year option (12.791M)  

281 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Pick up Tremaine Edmunds 5th year option (12.791M)?

• Yes
    • No

Now that the draft is over and the Bills have until Monday to decide on whether to pick up his 12.791M dollar 5th year option for the 2022 season.  Was interested to see where fans stood on this.  

Edited by Doc Brown

12 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Now that the draft is over and the Bills have until Monday to decide on whether to pick up his 12.715M dollar 5th year option for the 2022 season.  Was interested to see where fans stood on this.  

Nah.

Dangle the free agency carrot...........if he plays great put the franchise tag on him.    Only $2M difference and you don't have to fully guarantee the money 18 months in advance like you do with the 5th year option.

God forbid he gets hurt this year and can't play in 2022 and they have a $12M cap hit on the books and no way to reduce the cap hit.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 7

4 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Beane certainly didn't draft a replacement. He's staying.

If they decide to replace Edmunds in the middle it will likely be with a veteran at this point.

They are a SB contender they won't want to be breaking in a young player at that position.

The Ravens did that last year by selecting Patrick Queen in round 1............and he was terrible.....and getting him that year of reps to break him in hurt them.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Nah.

Dangle the free agency carrot...........if he plays great put the franchise tag on him.    Only $2M difference and you don't have to fully guarantee the money 18 months in advance like you do with the 5th year option.

God forbid he gets hurt this year and can't play in 2022 and they have a $12M cap hit on the books and no way to reduce the cap hit.

The franchise tag for a LB is projected to be around $19M next season.  A $7M dollar difference.  I doubt they put the franchise tag on him next offseason unless he has a monster 2021 season.  They'll most likely either have to sign him long term or let him walk after this season if they don't pick up the 5th year option.

Edited by Doc Brown

OK, this is how I see it...Edmunds maybe miscast in the middle but I don't blame them for trying he is a massive man in the middle. Brass tacks here, if his instincts don't improve and he is still missing assignments, miss reading gaps, etc. I'd still take the flyer and put him in the 'Zo role, that is where he excelled in college and where he may fit best. I hate to say it but he'll never come close to Luke Kuechly, but who can? He is still a very good player and just maybe miscast as a MLB.

Edited by Craig Oi
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Beane certainly didn't draft a replacement. He's staying.

He can draft one next year....or sign one.  

The bills could just play a 4-1-6 defense.  2 safeties operate as line backers or an athletic DE can drop back.

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The franchise tag for a LB is projected to be around $19M next season.  A $7M dollar difference.  I doubt they put the franchise tag on him next offseason unless he has a monster 2021 season.  They'll most likely either have to sign him long term or let him walk after this season if they don't pick up the 5th year option.

The only risk then is does Edmunds have hurt feeling by not getting 5th year option so reluctant to sigh with Bills forcing them to use franchise tag.

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The franchise tag for LB is projected as $14.9M.  

We had this discussion here already because IF both of Edmunds Pro Bowls counted towards his 5th year option value then that value would be the same as the franchise tag.  

If only one of them counts then his option was $12.7M.

$2.2M difference.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The only risk then is does Edmunds have hurt feeling by not getting 5th year option so reluctant to sigh with Bills forcing them to use franchise tag.

True but we're not sure if the Bills will be able to afford franchising him at this point.  The cap is expected to take a significant jump from 2022 to 2023 so I lean to be on the safe side and just pick up his option now. 

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

True but we're not sure if the Bills will be able to afford franchising him at this point.  The cap is expected to take a significant jump from 2022 to 2023 so I lean to be on the safe side and just pick up his option now. 

Agree, I'd go the option route too.

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The franchise tag for LB is projected as $14.9M.  

We had this discussion here already because IF both of Edmunds Pro Bowls counted towards his 5th year option value then that value would be the same as the franchise tag.  

If only one of them counts then his option was $12.7M.

$2.2M difference.

I made a mistake and read it wrong.  It's actually projected to be 17.425M next year according to overthecap.  About bout a 4.7M dollar difference.  More digestible though.

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

I made a mistake and read it wrong.  It's actually projected to be 17.425M next year according to overthecap.  About bout a 4.7M dollar difference.  More digestible though.

His 5th year option might be $17.425M then as well.........there is some discrepancy about whether both his pro bowls count in the equation.........if they do, then his option is worth the franchise tag figure.

Either way.........it is a super-risky move to fully guarantee an off-ball LB upwards of $15M 18 months before that season.      Cowart and Spikes were prime Bills examples.    MLB's take a beating.

Plus then you are competing against that guaranteed money.    Let's say you want to offer 3 years $35M with $15M gtd..........if he has nearly $15M gtd in 2022 he doesn't have much reason to sign that deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

His 5th year option might be $17.425M then as well.........there is some discrepancy about whether both his pro bowls count in the equation.........if they do, then his option is worth the franchise tag figure.

Either way.........it is a super-risky move to fully guarantee an off-ball LB upwards of $15M 18 months before that season.      Cowart and Spikes were prime Bills examples.    MLB's take a beating.

Plus then you are competing against that guaranteed money.    Let's say you want to offer 3 years $35M with $15M gtd..........if he has nearly $15M gtd in 2022 he doesn't have much reason to sign that deal. 

He was only selected to one pro bowl on the original ballot so the 5th year option will be 12.791M.  I'd see him wanting a four year extension or new deal like White, Dawkins and Milano got.  It's hard to project contracts but my guess is he'd demand 27 to 30 million guaranteed.  That might be enough of a difference to convince him to sign an extension if we do pick up his option.  He could very well bet on himself but there's always that injury concern like you said.