Official Bills Undrafted Free Agent Signings, 7 Open Roster Spots

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Yes there are many spellings of that name. 

It is from Latin meaning fifth often used for 5th son. 

Had three years in Latin and read a few Latin classic stories & poems as well as church books for many years.

Is this some sort of dig at me because I speak American and am proud of it??

1 hour ago, Captain_Quint said:

Is this some sort of dig at me because I speak American and am proud of it??

No. I was born is Chicago. Just saying they are different spellings of same name.

Some words (including names) in English are derived from same word but just different because people want to spell them different.

Some words are derived from two different words but seem similar in spelling.

• Eyeroll 1

If I had to guess what UDFA will most likely stick with the team I would guess Tariq Thompson.

I became a fan through mock drafts and then watching videos (I think this happens to all of us).

Buffalo is weak at S Depth. Look for him to push Siran Neal for big nickel, and Josh Thomas/ Jaquan Johnson as S depth.

He may not make the 53, but the PS. From The draftnetwork.com:

Tariq Thompson typically aligns in the slot where he has man and sometimes zone responsibilities as a nickel player. He is a willing tackler against the run and does a good job coming downhill and being a participant in the run game. In the passing game, his versatility and instincts set him apart. He has the ability and skill set to align on the back end or with coverage responsibilities in the slot. He has good ball skills and does a good job defending the pass.

Ideal Role: Third DB in nickel.

Scheme Fit: He has the skill set to play in any defensive scheme.

6'0 200 - 210 lbs. Good size. 4 year starter. All this guy does is produce, but his pro-day was terrible.

Career at SD State

Per Sports Reference:

210 Tot Tak/ 146 Solo/ 64 Assist/ 11 Tack for a loss/ 1 sack/ 11 INT/ 23 passes defended/ 5 Fumble Recoveries/ 5 Forced Fumbles/ 1 TD

PER ESPN:

217 Tot Tak/ 153 solo/ 64 Assist/ 1 sack/ 6 FF/ 4 FR/ 12 INT/ 23 PD/ 1 TD

I hope it translates to the NFL

Edited by ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin
forgot D TD
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/3/2021 at 10:44 AM, maddenboy said:

I'm starting to wonder whether its actually the BILLS who arent trying to sign any 1TDTs.

Maybe they even went into the draft resigned to the fact that they werent getting anyone good, so they spent time preparing to go into the season with Star only.

If so, then no need to waste a camp spot on a scrub 1TDT.  And especially if they are tweaking the D such that they dont need one much.  If so, better hope Star is up to it.  And/or that Basham et al can spell Star effectively.

Basham won't be spelling Star at all unless it's a passing down. He's a 280 lb end who can play 3T, he's not a NT.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

If I had to guess what UDFA will most likely stick with the team I would guess Tariq Thompson.

I became a fan through mock drafts and then watching videos (I think this happens to all of us).

Buffalo is weak at S Depth. Look for him to push Siran Neal for big nickel, and Josh Thomas/ Jaquan Johnson as S depth.

6'0 200 - 210 lbs. Good size. 4 year starter. All this guy does is produce, but his pro-day was terrible.

Career at SD State

Per Sports Reference:

210 Tot Tak/ 146 Solo/ 64 Assist/ 11 Tack for a loss/ 1 sack/ 11 INT/ 23 passes defended/ 5 Fumble Recoveries/ 5 Forced Fumbles/ 1 TD

PER ESPN:

I think Morris has a good shot. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think Morris has a good shot. 

I understand the line of thinking. TE is really thin on the roster.

The thing that stood out to me about when looking at Morris is, while he shows terrific hands, he had trouble separating from defenders.

If a guy can't separate at Division I-A level (MAC) how will he separate at the NFL level? And we know the GM and coaches like to get guys who can separate.

In general I think it's easier for a UFA to make an NFL roster on defense, than offense.

Should be fun watching the young guys.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

From Beane's interview seems like they're some caution on whether the offseason rosters will be allowed to get back up to 90.

Any idea of the number of Practice Squad or IR places?

Surprised the NFLPA didn't fight for more active roster spots, game day spots, PS in exchange for an additional game....

The roster flexibility may come in handy over an extended season.

1 hour ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

Career at SD State

Per Sports Reference:

PER ESPN:

Just chiming in to say WELCOME! 

I’m not sure which guy will surprise and contribute, but they sure do have a knack for finding good DB’s. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

I understand the line of thinking. TE is really thin on the roster.

The thing that stood out to me about when looking at Morris is, while he shows terrific hands, he had trouble separating from defenders.

If a guy can't separate at Division I-A level (MAC) how will he separate at the NFL level? And we know the GM and coaches like to get guys who can separate.

In general I think it's easier for a UFA to make an NFL roster on defense, than offense.

Should be fun watching the young guys.

Any idea of the number of Practice Squad or IR places?

Surprised the NFLPA didn't fight for more active roster spots, game day spots, PS in exchange for an additional game....

The roster flexibility may come in handy over an extended season.

Not if you count Rosseau and Brown and potential TE's.  :)

15 minutes ago, Augie said:

Just chiming in to say WELCOME! 

I’m not sure which guy will surprise and contribute, but they sure do have a knack for finding good DB’s. 

Thanks Augie. This fall is my 40th as a Bills fan... Wow the time goes by quickly! Was a member of other boards, took time away from social media.

Thanks for adding the late DB finds to the argument. Too true. It wouldn't surprise me to see Hamlin and Thompson as the back up S on the team. Jaquan Johnson and Josh Thomas are ST guys at best. Losing Marlowe hurt. Why not roll with the young guys if no better option is there?

12 minutes ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

Not if you count Rosseau and Brown and potential TE's.  :)

As silly as it sounds, I could see Brown in on goal line packages as a tackle eligible TE. I hear he has nice hands...

Edited by ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin

• SDS unpinned this topic

Seems like a good place to put this ....there has been "radio silence" about UDFA from the Bills.

Brandon Beane explained why on OBL today

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-await-roster-clarification-from-nfl-before-announcing-class-of-rookie-undrafted-free-agents/article_fa545756-add1-11eb-8410-6fc328f6be7c.html

General Manager Brandon Beane explained the delay during an appearance Wednesday on the team-produced radio and TV show "One Bills Live."

"One of the things we’re doing research on is, last year, the league and the union made us reduce our rosters down to 80 to start camp, instead of 90," Beane said. "There’s been uncertainty whether it could be a different number than 90. Is it 85, is it 80? We’re going to try and monitor that before we push the roster up to 90."

Beane said that last year, teams were forced to cut undrafted players that they had signed as undrafted free agents to get down to the roster limit before the start of training camp. Some of those players received small guarantees to sign, so that money was wasted. 

I felt really bad for some of these kids. You’re talking 10 a club, 320 players, I guarantee you there are some players in there that, had they been able to go to camp, would have made a roster. I hope for the league that we keep it at 90."

With preseason games back on the schedule for 2021, that's another reason for the roster to return to its usual offseason size, according to Beane.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/4/2021 at 7:23 PM, Limeaid said:

Yes there are many spellings of that name. 

It is from Latin meaning fifth often used for 5th son. 

Had three years in Latin and read a few Latin classic stories & poems as well as church books for many years.

And here I thought growing up a Roman (wandering) catholic was bad... 😁

If I were to put money on any of these undrafted rookies making the final Bills roster, think I'd go with Tariq Thompson mainly for two reasons; fist off he seems to fit the big nickel build and second and maybe more importantly, safety id the one position group where the Bills are undermanned numbers wise.