Official Bills Undrafted Free Agent Signings, 7 Open Roster Spots

22 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

Thanks for the data.  I believe that must be counting practice squad.  1,947 players works out to about 61 per team

Which could be right 61 per team without the PS being added seems about right when you go across the PUP and IR guys of each team. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Tariq Thompson was one of the 4 guys left on my draft board. I was pretty high on him he was my #100 overall. I think he is a nice fit for some of that big nickel stuff McDermott likes.

Quintin Morris makes sense too. I watched bits of him and thought he was a PUDFA type who would have a chance of making a PS somewhere and eventually finding his way onto a roster.

I'm actually a bit surprised by the quality of this UDFA haul..........I didn't think the Bills would do well at all in UDFA..........but with the exception of McCloud these guys were all seen as likely-to-be-drafted back in January before all the gymnastics events pushed them down.

Obviously, what these guys lack mostly is explosive traits.   Glad we got your guy Thompson,  maybe he will be an exception.          

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

I wouldn’t have traded up but those 3 RBs weren’t the only RBs in the draft.  Gainwell went in the 5th and is a really good receiver with speed.  Same goes for Carter who went in the 4th.   We don’t have speed in the backfield unless you’re thinking of Breida, who’s never been able to win a job against avg competition.  

Breida has 4.38 speed.  Carter is 4.55 which is slightly faster than what Singletary and Moss run.  Gainwell ran a 4.44.  Neither was considered a top prospect either, going in the 4th and 5th rounds.  Maybe they'll surprise but most likely they'll fare no better than Breida.

Edited by Doc
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They didn't it as a "need" but they were open to a special player who could be a home run hitter. We know that because because Brandon Beane told us at his pre-draft presser.

Special running backs with that talent do not make it to undrafted free agency.

After the top 10 picks........ the results for teams picking RB's in the rest of the 1st round have been abysmal for the past decade+.

Been some outstanding RB's in round 2 and 3 though so it would be interesting to see a deeper dive why picks 11-35 or so have been bad business for RB drafters.........I have my suspicions why.

That said........while there might not be any Derrick Henry's in UDFA........VERY explosive RB's are found in UDFA.........Raheem Mostert,  Matt Breida and Phillip Lindsey might be the 3 fastest RB's in the entire NFL.

What matters is getting production from your running game.

27 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Still think we need a backup 1 technique behind Star. Whether that comes from UFA or UDFA is the question 

IMO it's only a 50/50 proposition that Star even actually plays this year.

The Bills have had PLENTY of opportunities to upgrade their 1T with more of a stationary Star-type between last August and now and still haven't done it.

I mentioned it earlier but Danny Shelton literally settled for a $1.1M deal with the Giants a couple weeks ago.  He's younger and better than Star, simple as that.  If the Bills were looking they could have had him with almost no impact on their cap.    

So I don't know what the gameplan is there either......... but with all of these outside/inside rushers that they've added maybe they actually are planning to play a lot less 1T.   On paper they are looking like they might even go wide 9 up front........which would allow them to play both DT's in positions that make them more dangerous as pass rushers.    Like double 3 tech's (which they used a little in the playoff game vs Baltimore).     That invites teams to run up the middle.   

That wouldn't be Edmunds-friendly.   Klein might be able to handle it though.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

With their current roster, Jacksonville drafting Ettiene was idiotic. 

Urban said he’s going to use him as a “3rd down back”. Ok then ...

he also said that they wanted kadarious  Toney there originally and were “heartbroken” that he was gone

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Urban said he’s going to use him as a “3rd down back”. Ok then ...

he also said that they wanted kadarious  Toney there originally and were “heartbroken” that he was gone

So because the Giants made a ridiculous pick given their roster make up, Urban decided that Jax also needed to make a ridiculous pick given their roster make up.  

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

IMO it's only a 50/50 proposition that Star even actually plays this year.

The Bills have had PLENTY of opportunities to upgrade their 1T with more of a stationary Star-type between last August and now and still haven't done it.

I mentioned it earlier but Danny Shelton literally settled for a $1.1M deal with the Giants a couple weeks ago.  He's younger and better than Star, simple as that.  If the Bills were looking they could have had him with almost no impact on their cap.    

So I don't know what the gameplan is there either......... but with all of these outside/inside rushers that they've added maybe they actually are planning to play a lot less 1T.   On paper they are looking like they might even go wide 9 up front........which would allow them to play both DT's in positions that make them more dangerous as pass rushers.    Like double 3 tech's (which they used a little in the playoff game vs Baltimore).     That invites teams to run up the middle.   

That wouldn't be Edmunds-friendly.   Klein might be able to handle it though.  

Considering the Bills didn't look to sign a guy like Shelton or Snacks, didn't draft one, and Star said it himself, Star playing this year is 100% (barring any unforeseen circumstances).

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Ta111 said:

The stats back up that the RBs weren’t the problem with the run game. Singletary and Moss were both in the top 10 in the league for yards after contact. 

Just that the contact kept happening 3 yards behind the LOS.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, SCBills said:

So because the Giants made a ridiculous pick given their roster make up, Urban decided that Jax also needed to make a ridiculous pick given their roster make up.  

The Gettleman Effect.  His dumb decisions have helped the Bills land Allen and avoid Etienne.  We owe him!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think he probably really liked Toney given things urban likes ... would have been more palatable at 25 than 15 I guess. But it sure seems like he’s running the show down there. I don’t think we heard from their GM once. 

29 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Giants gonna “Giant”!!

Jaguars gonna  “Jaguar”!!

Edited by Special K

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Considering the Bills didn't look to sign a guy like Shelton or Snacks, didn't draft one, and Star said it himself, Star playing this year is 100% (barring any unforeseen circumstances).

Of course he's going to show up.......he's not going to walk away from that guaranteed money.      The question is whether they deem him roster worthy at the end of August.    I'd say that's a 50/50 chance for him or any other minimum salary level quality of player.