Bills 2021 Draft - Overall Assessment

Bills 2021 Draft Grade  

404 members have voted

1. 1. What is your initial overall grade of the Bills 2021 Draft?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • T (for trees). Just kidding. Had to go there!

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Whereas Moore or Tryon at #30 would have had me scratching my skin off....

Right, and now that we know there was a late-flagged medical issue with J-OK that may have made the Bills nervous in this abnormal year, makes sense.

That leaves Barmore, who I think could legitimately be viewed as at least an equivalent player depending upon how scouts weight experience, athleticism, and potential.  There, I have to trust the Bills scouts to have done the "deep dive" into the film and say "how much of Barmore's production was due to the strong cast around him?"  and other details we don't have access to. 

The other factor there is I do think Beane goes for a need-modified BPA, and if he saw them as close, he might feel our needs were stronger at DE - especially if any interviews and background they conducted may have indicated that Barmore might not be happy at 1T despite being profiled as a fit.

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the Bills consider they have a logjam at WR with the guys they have signed.  I think they really like Hodgins. 

I think they may agree with Beasley that he has several more seasons in him.  You don't use a 1st round pick on a guy who's gonna sit for 1-2 seasons.  That's where you use a later round pick and hope you can develop the guy.

Their big gap was a speedy guy who can track the ball. 

If Rousseau is actually a non-athletic, 3 year project then the Bills made a mistake drafting him.

Who on the Bills WR do you think sits this year so Moore could play?  Beasley?  Sanders?  Not happening.

I just think Rousseau profiles as a redundant player to Epenesa.

Pretty good assessment of the impact the Bills draft choices have on the roster:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/winners-and-losers-on-the-bills-roster-after-the-nfl-draft/article_bdd697dc-acf3-11eb-9909-7fb349df59ed.html

Winners:

Levi Wallace and Dane Jackson

The Bills still could sign a veteran cornerback lingering on the market. Richard Sherman, Casey Hayward, Gareon Conley are some of the players available. But even if they do, a veteran signed off the street at this point isn’t going to present as big a challenge as a first- or second-round draft pick.

Devin Singletary and Zach Moss

Dawson Knox

Harrison Phillips (NT)
Morse and Feliciano

Losers:

Mario Addison, DEs, and Zimmer

The defensive line numbers game is going to be a subject of discussion for months. The Bills kept 10 defensive linemen last season. There now are 12 defensive linemen on the roster who are either longtime starters, played significant NFL roles last season or were prime draft picks.

At defensive end: Jerry Hughes, Addison, Rousseau, Basham, A.J. Epenesa, Darryl Johnson and Obada.

At defensive tackle: Lotulelei, Ed Oliver, Vernon Butler, Phillips and Zimmer.

The Bills do not need to make any moves until September. In fact, it behooves them to wait. If someone suffers a significant injury, the decision gets easier. Zimmer was the fourth defensive tackle last year, but he’s fifth with the return of Lotulelei. It will be hard to keep five DTs.

Bobby Hart, Forrest Lamp and Jamil Douglas

Josh Thomas (backup safety, with drafting of Damar Hamlin)  - but the Bills did lose backup safety Dean Marlowe and did not replace him in FA)

Isaiah McKenzie (because of drafting Marquez Stevenson)

Thoughts?

At TE, Gaughan says "Dawson Knox" but seems to me Jacob Hollister, Reggie Gilliam, Tommy Sweeney and Nate Becker should be included there.  Knox is the head of the current depth chart, and a rookie was always going to come into the season behind him, but the guys at the back of the roster could get pushed off.

At Center/Guard, Gaughan says only "veteran depth" behind them - but I think the Bills really like Bates and Boettger.  I don't think their positions changed that much)

At OT, yes, there's a logjam and I agree Hart is likely to be gone with the drafting of Spencer Brown.  But I'm puzzled by putting Lamp and Douglas in there, but not mentioning Jordan Devey.  Drafting 2 OTs doesn't necessarily move a guard off the spot?

Gaughan gets fixated on cutting certain guys while failing to mention others.  He seems to have moved on from Morse to Addison.  But he doesn't mention Hughes.

I think in general, the logjam at WR deserves mention and not just singling out McKenzie.    The top guys Diggs, Sanders, Beasley, and Davis are probably fixed.  But we signed Brandon Powell, presumably to compete at KR/PR with McKenzie.  McKenzie has a leg-up in that he's got a role on offense.  How does Isaiah Hodgins, last year's sixth round pick, fit in there?  And do any of the guys we tendered like Jake Kumerow, Duke Williams, or Josh Allen buddy Tanner Gentry have a shot?