Bills 2021 Draft - Overall Assessment

Bills 2021 Draft Grade  

404 members have voted

1. 1. What is your initial overall grade of the Bills 2021 Draft?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • T (for trees). Just kidding. Had to go there!

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

This is an interesting observation.  I think there's some truth in.  And drafting at 30, you aren't going to get a lot of top flight stars.

But the question for Bills fans is "do you want top flight talent or you want to win?"  QB is the only position where top flight talent correlates with winning.  Tampa had a lot of talent on the field last year, but Brady was probably the only guy on the team who was a star like Allen and Diggs.  

One way you can tell the Bills have a lot of talent is that they didn't have many opportunities to draft someone who would be clearly better than the starter the Bills have at any particular position.   McBeane clearly like their talent, because they didn't go chasing talent in the free agent markets and they drafted high ceiling guys who won't necessarily be immediate contributors.  That's the process when you want to continuously improve your talent.  

So, yeah, the Bills didn't take someone who makes the fans dream of instant impact, like a Sammy Watkins did and a CJ Spiller did, and they didn't sign someone who got the juices flowing like the Mario Williams signing did, but we saw how those approaches worked and we've seen how McBeane's approach works.   There are no parades around downtown this morning, but I'm fine with that.   This looks like the way to have a parade in February. 

It was a meat and potatoes draft and our local media was really pushing the add more speed angle.

Constant talk about Etienne and fast WRs because the Kansas City  game.

So then the Draft comes and its Defensive End, Defense End, Offensive Tackle, Offensive Tackle and last year it was Epenesa and the year before that it was Oliver, the perception can be we didn’t do anything to help Allen.

Thats what WGR is saying largely today. Teams in the division got better, and the Bills stayed the same. Rousseau and Bashman are spot contributors and the OTs we took don’t play unless Williams/Dawkins get hurt.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

Beane said something to the effect before the draft that they needed to keep adding to spots where they had guys, so they could have continuity.  And that's what he did.  After 4 years people still refuse to believe the guy when he tells us what he's going to do.

I would have liked a big NT in the draft, but other than that if we have a weakness last year it was pass rush, and they've added two guys to help fix that.  Two OT's and a G for potential depth, a CB and S where we needed depth, a slot WR to start thinking about life post Beasley.  

Did other teams in the division get better?  Probably.  The Jets and Cheatriots have nowhere to go but up (and each will depend on the QBs they drafted), and the Fish did smart things to get a lot more picks this year and next year, but Tua has to show them he can play QB in the NFL.  But we were 13-3 last year, kept a lot of the guys who did that, and added some depth.  What else was there to do?

Edited by oldmanfan

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Beane said something to the effect before the draft that they needed to keep adding to spots where they had guys, so they could have continuity.  And that's what he did.  After 4 years people still refuse to believe the guy when he tells us what he's going to do.

I would have liked a big NT in the draft, but other than that if we have a weakness last year it was pass rush, and they've added two guys to help fix that.  Two OT's and a G for potential depth, a CB and S where we needed depth, a slot WR to start thinking about life post Beasley.  

Did other teams in the division get better?  Probably.  The Jets and Cheatriots have nowhere to go but up (and each will depend on the QBs they drafted), and the Fish did smart things to get a lot more picks this year and next year, but Tua has to show them he can play QB in the NFL.  But we were 13-3 last year, kept a lot of the guys who did that, and added some depth.  What else was there to do?

For instance, take Rousseau off the board, and put Elijah Moore in, take out Spencer Brown and put in Molden/Melifonwu, according to the media, that would have been a more balanced Draft where Moore possibly cracks the WR group early on, you find Corner #2 competition, but still end up with a rotational DE and a 6'8" developmental OT. 

Now there is a log jam at DE and OT. 

It's the idea that the Bills were close to the Super Bowl, and they needed to make moves to get over the hump. And rotational DEs and backup OTs don't move the needle.  

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 2

We addressed last years biggest weakness with our first two picks. We got better in the trenches with some of these sequoias. June 1st might allow us to fill a cb or 1T spot? Next year we go hard for a TE/RB. We still have a top 3 NFL QB who's a borderline MVP. Maybe it wasn't the sexiest draft in the world but I think it will be very productive, even if it's just Rousseau and Basham.

6 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

C+

Teams are getting the ball out faster and faster.

Getting Ends who can rush the passer, yes you need, but when teams are getting the ball out in 2 seconds it wont matter much.

I'm not building my team from the trenches out.

I'm building from the back end in. 

Need cover corners and Linebackers. 

I guess we will see how it plays out, not a fan of going DE/DE/DE with your 3 top picks the last 2 years. 

Is it possible that is why the Bills chose to draft a long armed DE?? Someone who can bat down that quick pass? 

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We addressed last years biggest weakness with our first two picks. We got better in the trenches with some of these sequoias. June 1st might allow us to fill a cb or 1T spot? Next year we go hard for a TE/RB. We still have a top 3 NFL QB who's a borderline MVP. Maybe it wasn't the sexiest draft in the world but I think it will be very productive, even if it's just Rousseau and Basham.

Yes, I think it stands to reason next year there will be more effort on Center and Tight End, also speed WR and mostly likely the Bills will be looking for another RB. 

I'm fine with no startable CB or TE. But to completely ignore the 1 tech DL is baffling to me. 

Star is coming back. But A) what if he doesn't have it anymore, and B) what if he gets half way through camp and decides to hang it up for good? And if he is there this year, who else is in the 1 tech rotation? If they try to make Ed play it again, I'm going to lose my %&#$. He was drafted #9 overall to be our lightning bolt disruptor in the middle of the line.

If that's how he's going to be used again this year, you might as well trade him for a true 1 tech, and let him shine in the role he was meant to have somewhere else.

3 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

For instance, take Rousseau off the board, and put Elijah Moore in, take out Spencer Brown and put in Molden/Melifonwu, according to the media, that would have been a more balanced Draft where Moore possibly cracks the WR group early on, you find Corner #2 competition, but still end up with a rotational DE and a 6'8" developmental OT. 

It's the idea that the Bills were close to the Super Bowl, and they needed to make moves to get over the hump. And rotational DEs and backup OTs don't move the needle.  

Nope.  Moore doesn’t crack our top 4 WRs. A CB doesn’t add that much over Jackson or Wallace.  We all saw the Super Bowl.  We want to beat Mahomes we need pressure from up front.  We got two DEs to help there.

10 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

I'm fine with no startable CB or TE. But to completely ignore the 1 tech DL is baffling to me. 

Star is coming back. But A) what if he doesn't have it anymore, and B) what if he gets half way through camp and decides to hang it up for good? And if he is there this year, who else is in the 1 tech rotation? If they try to make Ed play it again, I'm going to lose my %&#$. He was drafted #9 overall to be our lightning bolt disruptor in the middle of the line.

If that's how he's going to be used again this year, you might as well trade him for a true 1 tech, and let him shine in the role he was meant to have somewhere else.

If your biggest concern about the draft is the lack of a 1 tech, mine is no WR until the 6th round. Sanders and Beasley are both on the wrong side of 30, with Sanders in particular being especially old. Both are on one year deals. This draft had a ton of talent at WR. I'd wanted to see the Bills take a WR in the first or second, groom him for a year, then have him become a starter to take the place of the departing Sanders. 

That said, I realize the Bills didn't have the draft picks necessary to fill all their needs. I'm pleased with the collection of players they did acquire in this draft. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

I don't know any more than you do regarding Star. However, I'm willing to bet that Beane and McDermott do. The fact that we haven't done anything with 1T has me believing that they are in touch with Star and all is well. We saw this past year how much we need him.

1 hour ago, RochesterLifer said:

I don't know any more than you do regarding Star. However, I'm willing to bet that Beane and McDermott do. The fact that we haven't done anything with 1T has me believing that they are in touch with Star and all is well. We saw this past year how much we need him.

I suspect they believe Star is coming back. What that looks like is an unknown to everyone until he steps on the field at camp and they start running contact drills. I still think they need some competition but it was never the case for me that it HAD to come from the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

This is an interesting observation.  I think there's some truth in.  And drafting at 30, you aren't going to get a lot of top flight stars.

But the question for Bills fans is "do you want top flight talent or you want to win?"  QB is the only position where top flight talent correlates with winning.  Tampa had a lot of talent on the field last year, but Brady was probably the only guy on the team who was a star like Allen and Diggs. 

You have valid points about the Bills drafting for continuous improvement, not drafting Spiller-like splashy picks, but I don't think that's true that Brady was probably the only guy on TB who "was a star like Allen and Diggs".  You may not personally be aware of or follow their stars, but they're there.

He's been playing on a bad team, but Mike Evans has been in the league 7 years with QB the likes of Josh McCown, Mike Glennon, and Jamais Winston throwing to him.  He's got 7 - 1000+ yd seasons.  If he's not a "star", it's not because he doesn't deserve to be. 

Godwin had a Diggs like season last year and this year, with Brady throwing to him, his catch % was unreal

Gronk may be a fading star, but he's still a star

Lavonte David may be the best MLB in the game today.

Pierre-Paul may be a fading star, but still a star.  Devin White is a rising star.  Shaq Barrett is an impact player.

Instead of "star" which has connotations of being a media figure who draws PR, let's use the term "significant impact player".

Tampa Bay had at least 7 significant impact players beyond Brady, 4 on offense counting Brady, 4 on defense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/1/2021 at 6:17 PM, Process said:

C+ 

Don't love double dipping at DE and OT and not addressing another needs like WR CB and DT until the later rounds. 

At the end of the day we added to the lines, which is never a bad thing, so I don't hate it. 

But between FA and the draft, the Chiefs, Browns, Dolphins, Jets and Patriots all made moves that will make them significantly better in 2021. The Bills did not. 

This year was about trenches, next year we will really need to add some playmakers on offense and in the secondary.

This is the key for me...we didn’t add any playmakers that are going make significant game changing plays- something we really could have used on both sides of the ball...change out Rousseau for Moore and it’s an “A” draft for me...instead, he goes to the Jets, 3 picks later, and we get a non athletic, 3 year project at DE...

Just really hoping this is a “Josh Allen” type situation where I initially hate the pick and he ends up being all-world! Lol

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think the Bills consider they have a logjam at WR with the guys they have signed.  I think they really like Hodgins. 

I think they may agree with Beasley that he has several more seasons in him.  You don't use a 1st round pick on a guy who's gonna sit for 1-2 seasons.  That's where you use a later round pick and hope you can develop the guy.

Their big gap was a speedy guy who can track the ball. 

15 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

This is the key for me...we didn’t add any playmakers that are going make significant game changing plays- something we really could have used on both sides of the ball...change out Rousseau for Moore and it’s an “A” draft for me...instead, he goes to the Jets, 3 picks later, and we get a non athletic, 3 year project at DE...

Just really hoping this is a “Josh Allen” type situation where I initially hate the pick and he ends up being all-world! Lol

If Rousseau is actually a non-athletic, 3 year project then the Bills made a mistake drafting him.

Who on the Bills WR do you think sits this year so Moore could play?  Beasley?  Sanders?  Not happening.

On 5/1/2021 at 6:23 PM, Coach Tuesday said:

Best draft of my lifetime.  They had a clear, sane strategy that makes perfect sense in today’s NFL where (i) you’ve got a franchise QB about to take up a big chunk of the cap; (ii) you need depth at premium positions (everyone does); and (iii) you did sober self-scouting to realize you weren’t affecting the passing game enough to beat your biggest obstacle to the Lombardi.  Super impressed with a well-executed PLAN.  This draft was the product of a clear strategic plan and I’ve literally been waiting decades to say that about this team’s draft.

Perfectly summed up. The Russ/Nix/Rex years are a distant memory. These guys are smart, and disciplined. This draft was “the process” put to action.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the Bills consider they have a logjam at WR with the guys they have signed.  I think they really like Hodgins. 

I think they may agree with Beasley that he has several more seasons in him.  You don't use a 1st round pick on a guy who's gonna sit for 1-2 seasons.  That's where you use a later round pick and hope you can develop the guy.

Their big gap was a speedy guy who can track the ball. 

If Rousseau is actually a non-athletic, 3 year project then the Bills made a mistake drafting him.

Who on the Bills WR do you think sits this year so Moore could play?

Moore would have to earn playing time...I would sprinkle him in at certain times, initially, to get his feet wet and  to try and create big plays...the more he proved himself the more playing time he would get...

You can’t say exactly who would sit at this time...it might be someone who wasn’t producing as well, or maybe even a combination of players...maybe Sanders starts to decline, or maybe Beasley? Who knows? Maybe Davis has a little bit of a sophomore slump...doesn’t have to be one guy...just a chance to create opportunities and mismatches for the offense imo...

And then we also can’t forget about potential injuries will likely occur...

Edited by JaCrispy

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

Moore would have to earn playing time...I would sprinkle him in at certain times, initially, to get his feet wet and  to try and create big plays...the more he proved himself the more playing time he would get...

You can’t say exactly who would sit at this time...it might be someone who wasn’t producing as well, or maybe even a combination of players...maybe Sanders starts to decline, or maybe Beasley? Who knows? Maybe Davis has a little bit of a sophomore slump...doesn’t have to be one guy...just a chance to create opportunities and mismatches for the offense imo...

But here's the thing....you mentioned Moore because you think  "we didn’t add any playmakers that are going make significant game changing plays- something we really could have used on both sides of the ball".  But in order to allow him to make that difference, you would have to pull time from guys who actually DID make significant game changing plays for the Bills last year - Beasley and Davis.  WR, especially rookies, seldom make "game changing plays" when sprinkled in.  Very soon the lineup starts telegraphing, as in 2019 when teams saw McKenzie and said "there's that Jet Sweep or Reverse again!".  It  lost effectiveness until McKenzie developed the ability (and timing/same page thinking with Josh) to broaden his route vocabulary.

How do you know that Rousseau isn't going to be sprinkled in at certain times to get his feet wet and try to create big plays, and get more playing time the more he proves himself? 

I think what your argument comes down to is the Bills didn't draft the guy you wanted, and you don't like the guy they did draft.  But the truth is we have a lot of depth at WR ahead of Moore so he likely wouldn't have made a huge immediate contribution, and we have starters ahead of Rousseau.  Both would have had limited impact, and both would have had to be sprinkled in and earn playing time. 

But last year, our receiving corps was overall one of the best in the league, even with Brown missing significant time and not himself when active.  Our pass rush and ability to pressure the QB, OTOH, was NOT.

5 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

If your biggest concern about the draft is the lack of a 1 tech, mine is no WR until the 6th round. Sanders and Beasley are both on the wrong side of 30, with Sanders in particular being especially old. Both are on one year deals. This draft had a ton of talent at WR. I'd wanted to see the Bills take a WR in the first or second, groom him for a year, then have him become a starter to take the place of the departing Sanders. 

That said, I realize the Bills didn't have the draft picks necessary to fill all their needs. I'm pleased with the collection of players they did acquire in this draft. 

Diggs and Davis are young.  The rookie Stevenson looks promising.  They seemed to be high on Hodgins before his injury last year.  McK is fairly young.

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But here's the thing....you mentioned Moore because you think  "we didn’t add any playmakers that are going make significant game changing plays- something we really could have used on both sides of the ball".  But in order to allow him to make that difference, you would have to pull time from guys who actually DID make significant game changing plays for the Bills last year - Beasley and Davis.  WR, especially rookies, seldom make "game changing plays" when sprinkled in.  Very soon the lineup starts telegraphing, as in 2019 when teams saw McKenzie and said "there's that Jet Sweep or Reverse again!".  It  lost effectiveness until McKenzie developed the ability (and timing/same page thinking with Josh) to broaden his route vocabulary.

How do you know that Rousseau isn't going to be sprinkled in at certain times to get his feet wet and try to create big plays, and get more playing time the more he proves himself? 

I think what your argument comes down to is the Bills didn't draft the guy you wanted, and you don't like the guy they did draft.  But the truth is we have a lot of depth at WR ahead of Moore so he likely wouldn't have made a huge immediate contribution, and we have starters ahead of Rousseau.  Both would have had limited impact, and both would have had to be sprinkled in and earn playing time. 

But last year, our receiving corps was overall one of the best in the league, even with Brown missing significant time and not himself when active.  Our pass rush and ability to pressure the QB, OTOH, was NOT.

Another thing: they signed Sanders, who I expect will be good to very good this season. And literally every year now, the draft is LOADED with wide receiving talent. Next year will I’m sure feature a ton of Elijah Moores too. The passing game is not going to be the issue this season, so fix what needs fixing. There will always be good receivers to take given the nature of elite athlete sorting at the HS and college levels.