Bills 2021 Draft - Overall Assessment

Bills 2021 Draft Grade  

404 members have voted

1. 1. What is your initial overall grade of the Bills 2021 Draft?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • T (for trees). Just kidding. Had to go there!

I think the answer to this won’t be known until we actually get into the season and maybe later on into the season

I take a look at a guy like buggy or Jack Anderson and I see guys that could step in if a starter goes down

I think Greg r Gets playing time immediately put in a rotation

The Receiver we took could have an immediate impact because he brings speed that a corps does not have It looks like he has value as a returner

This team is loaded with talent right now with entrenched veterans it’s really hard to bust through on a team like this in the first year

13 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

RAS GALORE 

To me, this, plus culture are what makes the Bills 2021 draft really interesting. Athleticism on its own will not lead to success as it is only one factor. This type of athleticism driven by guys with leadership, plus very good coaching, may make this an outstanding draft class. To me, it feels like the Bills did not reach. I like it.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

To me, this, plus culture are what makes the Bills 2021 draft really interesting. Athleticism on its own will not lead to success as it is only one factor. This type of athleticism driven by guys with leadership, plus very good coaching, may make this an outstanding draft class. To me, it feels like the Bills did not reach. I like it.

That's the Beane way. 

If Rousseau hits then this draft is an A++. I know Rousseau had one really productive year, but it's just a small sample size. I actually have more faith in Basham being productive than Rousseau at the moment, but that's just me. Basham, playing at 270, will be quicker and more twitchy than he was at Wake where he played between 285-290lbs. I think he will do really well getting after it while lining up against RT's in the NFL. He's good against the run already as well knowing how to set the edge and shed his blocks to close on the ball carrier. He also has a knack for punching the ball out when he gets there, having 3 FF in 2019 and then 4 FF in 2020 playing only 6 games. I REALLY liked our 2nd Round pick. I also understand the Spencer Brown pick. Adebo and St-Juste were both off of the board. The OL needed some young depth and by all accounts I've read we got one hell of an OT prospect. Can't be mad at that. Until the other day I had not even heard of Marquez Stevenson. After that I watched different videos of the guy for about 30-45 minutes straight, Houston games and highlights of him. To me, and this is just my 2, he will be to this offense what Foster could have been. On top of that, he will contribute in the return game.  He has a career average of 26.1 yds per kickoff return with 3 TD's on 34 total returns. That means in college 1 out of every 11 he took to the house. Love this pick. Doyle I had only seen his name on mock draft boards, but didn't do much research behind it. I think he may be a PS guy unless we move someone else to keep him on the 53/55, whatever it is now. Hamlin I had looked into a bit. He seems to be a fit for the defense we run, but will need to be coached up on his responsibilities in coverage.  Wildgoose? I got nothing. Our UDFA's have some solid potential with Tariq Thompson and Quintin Morris. All in all I give us a B+ right now, with a chance to be an A++ if Rousseau can bring 10-15 sacks a year to this defense. It's more than solid, even though I really wanted us to address the 1T. 

Edited by H2o
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

ehhh I think i like the players 

I still dont love that I think Mcbeane value trust the process guys / intangibles a little too much

their reliance on seniors / senior bowl on full display - ALL of their picks except rousseau , doyle ( a senior who was snubbed), and wildgoose - were from senior bowl. which i dont like

basham is shaq lawson, maybe a better more skillfull rusher. which will be a nice pick

rousseau will be an interior rusher / and just ok - unless they get lucky and turn him into a monster DE rusher- but he cant bend and his agility scores sucked so i doubt it

Edited by balln

7 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

I used to really enjoy draft "grades" right after a draft was completed....but I've come to understand that grading these right after they happen is a fools errand.  

That said....from the outside looking in....looking at the Bills as team that will compete with mine for the AFC title.....I don't think this draft went that well for the Bills.  Again...this is all just my own opinion....I don't know your team as well as you all do so I am sure I am missing some information about your roster etc ...but I thought that the Bills would go into this draft looking for opertunities to upgrade the pass rush, the TE position, and the RB position.  I also thought Interior D line might come into play as well, but not the most pressing need.

It seemed like the RB's that the Bills might have wanted, just kept getting picked a few spots in front of Buffalo.  I am almost positive the Broncos moved up in round 2 to get in front of you guys for Williams.  Some of you folks here liked Michael Carter of NC, better than Williams, and the Jets ended up with him.  It's not to say Singletary and Moss aren't good backs....but they aren't home run hitters.  

I thought maybe the Bills might take a shot at Friermuth when the time came..or maybe one of the later guys like Breven....but no TE taken. 

I am not familiar with your O line situation, but clearly you all added some guys there.  

I have no idea how this will turn out...the two DE's may be awesome....or maybe one of this....maybe this turns you all into a fearsome pass rushing machine and Beane got it right.....He's been right quite a bit since he's beein there...so certainly I'd defer to whatever he did and trust it......all I am saying is I'm not sure these picks move the needle that much....or enough to take the next step.  

The Bill's worst unit was going after the Qb (pass rush). Was a huge weakness all year. Balanced teams or very good QB teams (Chiefs) could get there way with us last year.  The CB unit McDermott can build a low tier CB into looks like a good one. Levi Wallace might not be the best player but that's McDermott strength even going to Panthers as a DC days. He might be one of the best secondary coaches in the league.

Before draft told lots people in person Bill's won't draft a rb. But who knows there plans.  Singletary was the 11th most explosive rb. Good blocker. Moss was the best rb blocker in the nfl last year. Beane in his press I think said there is room to grow and trust him on it. 

TE could be a little weak love Know as well as room to grow. Love the new TE they brought in. 

Beane and McDermott had a plan in this draft. Fully trust them. They built this team well and should be good for a long time (imo). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

The Bill's worst unit was going after the Qb (pass rush). Was a huge weakness all year. Balanced teams or very good QB teams (Chiefs) could get there way with us last year.  The CB unit McDermott can build a low tier CB into looks like a good one. Levi Wallace might not be the best player but that's McDermott strength even going to Panthers as a DC days. He might be one of the best secondary coaches in the league.

Before draft told lots people in person Bill's won't draft a rb. But who knows there plans.  Singletary was the 11th most explosive rb. Good blocker. Moss was the best rb blocker in the nfl last year. Beane in his press I think said there is room to grow and trust him on it. 

TE could be a little weak love Know as well as room to grow. Love the new TE they brought in. 

Beane and McDermott had a plan in this draft. Fully trust them. They built this team well and should be good for a long time (imo). 

Couldn't agree more.  There were a bunch of players in the draft that I really liked and wanted to see us pick but at the end of the day...what the heck do I know!  We shouldn't be content with the recent success that we've had but at the same time I do think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

I liked the picks and I'm happy that we weren't in dire need of any one position in particular considering this draft was one of the worst from a talent pool and talent evaluation standpoint.  And in spite of that, our 1st two picks are objectively talented!  If Rousseau had 2020 tape, I don't think he would have been even close to available at 30 and Basham's 2019 tape was nearly as good.  Position of need (both short term and long term) has been addressed without reaching or having to use draft capital.  They might not be 100% ready right away but who is?  They may not end up being great but who the heck knows.  That's how the draft is and how it has always been.  I'm sure a lot of the criticism is rooted in a love for this team so that's understandable but everyone...including the optimists...just needs to take a breath & TRUST THE PROCESS.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, eball said:

First of all, nice response.  My opinion stems from how different the league is now then it was when Polian ruled the roost.  I’ve heard Polian opine on many NFL radio shows over the past decade and I’m not sure he has the same sort of success in this era.  Beane and McDermott have built a top-notch organization that appears primed to be a force for years to come.  There is also a level of internal respect that draws in talented people.  I think it’s pretty well known that Polian was a “my way or the highway” kind of guy.

And just so we’re clear:  Polian didn’t draft Jim Kelly and he didn’t draft Bruce Smith.  He’s a HOF GM and deserves tons of credit for the Bills’ Super Bowl teams, but there’s always a bit of luck involved as well.

I could not possibly be more impressed with Brandon Beane.

...or Andre Reed or Frank Reich.  That's 3 HOF'ers and a great backup QB.

10 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

My general vibe was this was a poor draft, and my gut here feels akin to the old drafts where we all rationalized your Duke Prestons and Derek Schoumans.

Bills needed to trade up to get Etienne , Hariss , or Toney as the playmaker to upgrade the offense. They failed here...or didnt bother.

We needed a first rate KR too, but didnt act on this till round 6.

Rosseau is an opt out player, and I'll make no bones about the fact that this generally turns me off.

Bills overthought things....

Rousseau opted-out so he could sign with an agent (Drew Rosenhaus) who gave him enough money so that his mother could quit her job taking care of COVID patients and get her out of harm's way.  With just 1 year of tape/production, even though it was really good, he was taking a chance at losing a lot of money, and likely did.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Your opinion and criticism of posters for expressing an opinion........when you don't really have your own regarding players drafted......... would carry more weight if you weren't defensive of every regime the Bills have had since Butler left.  

Instead this is just the 6th GM you've defended since then and the only one who the argument could even be made that they've done well. 

1 for 6.

That's a Gary Sanchez-esque .167 batting average.:lol:

But man - when he gets a hold of one.....

New York Yankees Sport GIF by MLB

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, section122 said:

Here are my thoughts:

1.  Back to back DE was surprising but I liked it.  Both players can rush from the interior and are huge.  The pass rush was sorely lacking last year, is an overly expensive fa position, and the 2 best are old.  The hope imo is that the Bills will pile on points and then pin their ears back without giving up beef on the line.

2.  Back to back ots is a bit different.  First there is a huge difference between 1st and 2nd vs 3rd and 5th rounds.  Williams played very well last year but is only a couple of years removed from major injury.  These picks are protection from having to play the fa ots they added.  Lastly, if they do develop, tackles can be traded for a premium as evidenced by the orlando brown trade.

3. 3 6th rounders and 1 7th rounder.  Every pick made sense.  Mcd has earned late round db trust.  He has proven either an eye for talent or a great ablitily to develop them or both.  Either way those 2 made sense.  Og and speed wr were positions most had pegged as an area of improvement.

The only position I was hoping for that didn't get a pick was 1t.  Love the high ceiling picks throughout.  This was such a different draft experience for me and was very relaxing, first time ever for that lol.

This pretty much nails it for me. :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Clearly our front office believes our DBs were much less an issue than our ability to get to the QB. Our DBs will be even better if the DL gets to the QB in 2 or less seconds each time

Agree - though I think a vet CB will be brought in.

• Thank you (+1) 1

As for RB, I don't think the Bills ever intended to take one.  They spent 3rd rounders in consecutive drafts on Motor and Moss, signed Antonio Williams as an UDFA last year, added Breida in FA, and have Wade.  It's not a position that's worth a high pick anymore.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

11 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Let’s reevaluate after the June 1st cuts. I think Ertz is still in play as well. I could see a corner, a TE and a 1T somewhere along the way, at least before Week 1. Preseason will roll along, there will be cuts when teams trim down and so on so forth. It’s not like we have a ton of holes at this point.

Agree on CB and fingers crossed on Ertz.

Would love a 1T - not sure where that's coming from. Hopefully one shakes loose.

Also, interested to see which of our DEs becomes expendable.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Agree 100%.  In two of the three playoff games our D line didn't put any pressure on the opponents QB. And this was against highly effective QB's in Rivers & Mahomes.  The only reason we escaped with a win against Indy was that Allen took the team on his shoulders and had a phenomenal game.  He couldn't replicate that against KC minus the Bills best RB and a beat-up WR group. 

As for the Baltimore win, pass rush doesn't really matter against Jackson & company.  In fact a D-line that doesn't get much penetration is probably a good strategy against the Ravens.

The bottom line is that pass rush was by far the Bills biggest weakness.  RB & TE were not great just average, but our offense still scored over 30 points per game.  And adding Hollister and Breida did upgrade both positions.  It's also not unreasonable to expect Knox to improve this year particularly after he played a lot better at the end of the season and in the playoffs.  Ditto for Moss who was decent.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks, but I doubt you're correct when it comes to McBeane.  We'll just have to wait and see, but McBeane have been very clear that every position is up for grabs every year.   Just because they like their left tackle today doesn't mean that he's a ten-year fixture.  Maybe I'm missing something, because Dawkins hasn't struck me as a HOF tackle, just a good one.   What protects players, long-term, for McBeane, is leadership.  If Dawkins is one of the four or five leaders on the team in three years, then it will be tough to move him out.  Otherwise, I wouldn't say that he's a sure thing.  

But I hear you point.

I was waiting for you to say DD would kick inside and have Spencer Long mature into LT in 2-3 years.

Really not a fan of grading drafts before these guys ever set foot on a NFL field.

Did we have an eye on RB in the first round?  I feel if Beane truly wanted on of these guys he would have jumped the Steelers.  Seemed it was a good guess they were grabbing one.  

I’d rather have the pass rush guys we got.  Both have a great ceiling, Basham seems a little more ready to me.  AFC Championship game proved we didn’t have the pass rush needed to win that game.  Believe we have 3 RB’s that are good.  Our guys didn’t get their numbers called a lot last year, feel it was play calling to the strengths of Josh.  

Rest of the draft?  Inexpensive backups with potential.  With the current salary cap and Josh’s pending contract, gonna need these type of guys.

Watching good players that we believe could help the team get drafted ahead of the Bills is a symptom of picking at 30.  Only way to remedy that is to trade up or pick guys early.  Not sure Beane was interested in that, he wanted picks and players. 

Feel it was a good draft.  Filled a few needs and added some guys with potential. 

I had never seen any of them play before yesterday. That said, someone whose opinion I have tons of respect for told me that Rousseau is a very talented player who can rush the passer, therefore I am very happy with the pick.

3 blockers in one draft? Utterly fantastic. Our OL doesn't suck like it used to but there are no great players on it either imo. The Bills could use some competition and depth when it comes to protecting Josh. Maybe one of them will be great. Who knows?

I voted B but would have voted B+ had there been the option, and will change it to an A if I can. :)

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 5

7 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Why pick up Brieda then? Neither Singletary nor Moss scare a defense. Singletary can't score tds and Moss lacks explosive speed. Brieda brings that to the table. Who knows about Etienne? If he dropped to the Bills at 30 my gut says they would have ran to the podium. Personally, he's the guy I wanted. Just ask yourself Etienne or Rousseau? Seems like a no brainer to me. If the Bills were so confident in Rousseau then why double up with another DE? Oliver who was hyped up to be the next Bruce Smith and Epanesa are on the roster. Something isn't adding up to me. Are they hoping they get one right? 

No brainer for sure. And they made the right pick with Rosseau. 

Why double down? They stayed true to their board. Again, good pick up with Boogie. 

Oliver the next Bruuuuuuce? Who ever said that?