Bills 2021 Draft - Overall Assessment

Bills 2021 Draft Grade  

404 members have voted

1. 1. What is your initial overall grade of the Bills 2021 Draft?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • T (for trees). Just kidding. Had to go there!

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

All true, but unless there’s injuries, this Starting OL is basically the same as last years Starting OL.  

I'm not sure that's true. 

The OTs and C should be the same

I think we will have a competition at both guard spots

If Feliciano and Boettger win, then the OL will be the same, except hopefully a less-injured version of Feliciano

If Ford or Lamp win one of the battles then the line will be different. 

And of course there's the possibility that one of our draft picks wins a starting role in camp, but seems unlikely. 

I do feel better with the idea that we're not one Daryl Williams injury away from counting on Bobby Hart to protect Allen's right flank.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Defensive Line will definitely be another story.  We should see a very different unit out there now.  

TBH, I'm not sure what we'll see.  I think Beane told us in his pre-draft presser that we might be drafting guys this year who might not start this year, but might start next season.  It wouldn't be a big shock to me if we started the year with a DL of Hughes-Oliver-Lotulelei-Addison rotating to Butler-Phillips and whoever wins the battles at DE (Epenesa and Rousseau would be my guess)

Being facetious, I now understand why we drafted all those tall guys (trees).  We signed a FORREST, Forrest Lamp.  Well, what's a FORREST without some TREES in it?

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not sure that's true. 

The OTs and C should be the same

I think we will have a competition at both guard spots

If Feliciano and Boettger win, then the OL will be the same, except hopefully a less-injured version of Feliciano

If Ford or Lamp win one of the battles then the line will be different. 

And of course there's the possibility that one of our draft picks wins a starting role in camp, but seems unlikely. 

I do feel better with the idea that we're not one Daryl Williams injury away from counting on Bobby Hart to protect Allen's right flank.

TBH, I'm not sure what we'll see.  I think Beane told us in his pre-draft presser that we might be drafting guys this year who might not start this year, but might start next season.  It wouldn't be a big shock to me if we started the year with a DL of Hughes-Oliver-Lotulelei-Addison rotating to Butler-Phillips and whoever wins the battles at DE (Epenesa and Rousseau would be my guess)

Being facetious, I now understand why we drafted all those tall guys (trees).  We signed a FORREST, Forrest Lamp.  Well, what's a FORREST without some TREES in it?

Who is starting if Williams goes down? 

2 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

This looks like a modern NFL draft.  The priority is to pass the ball, protect the passer and rush the passer.

You also need to build cheap depth at expensive positions.  Pass rusher and pass defenders get paid.

So the first 4 picks setup the team in the future.  I would have liked a CB earlier but the value was not there.  Beane made good moves that will pay dividends in the future.

There is no reason to believe the draft was a failure.  Rating it low because the team did it differently than you thought is not a good reason. Pick a QB high or pick an injured player who will retire, that is a bad draft.

So picking Allen at 7 was bad?

Just now, ngbills said:

Who is starting if Williams goes down? 

Ford or Bates would have been fine.  They have enough guards that could take Ford's spot if needed.  

As it stands now, they probably dress Bates and Brown because both can be swing tackles and Bates can play any interior spot in a pinch.  

59 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Exciting does not equal betterExciting does not equal better

Boogie is going to end up being the player out of this draft that makes the most immediate impact you watch

I think the newly acquired 6th round speedster Stevenson might have an imediate impact on S T returning kicks.

Kid really plays big for his size...

(The name Boogie Basham sounds like something that should have an immediate impact)

Edited by Figster

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don’t see how anyone can say we’re the same team now that we’ve added two seriously talented lively young thoroughbreds to our d line.  That was the missing link last year.  For one thing I expect about 5-10 more forced fumbles this season which by itself can add a win or three to your record.

Hope you are right. My gut tells me the two young d line draftees won't have that kind of positive impact. More talented Oliver and Epanesa could barely stiff the QB in their first year. I don't think the Bills got noticeable better in the short term. This draft was more about the Bills building the long term future of the team. Imho, Allen will have to be phenomenal again for the Bills to make a big run. 

Edited by newcam2012

I’ve been seeing a lot of people commenting about how we didn’t get “day 1” contributors.  

We are a 13-3 team that went the AFCCG.  We have a strong roster, rookies generally aren’t coming in from rounds 3 and 5 or later and making an immediate impact on a team this good.  When you have mid round rookies as significant contributors it generally means your team isn’t very good.

So I don’t get all this obsession about other people who are concerned some of our draft picks are going to be developed and learn behind veterans to be groomed as replacements in next year or two.  Even first snd second round picks when picking at the end of the round aren’t always going to have an automatic spot to come in and start on good rosters.  

Best way to develop rookies anyway is to not force them to play before they are ready.  We are in a good spot with good players these guys will learn from and hopefully be ready to emerge as starters and major contributors when the vets are no longer on this team. 

• Like (+1) 6

Best draft of my lifetime.  They had a clear, sane strategy that makes perfect sense in today’s NFL where (i) you’ve got a franchise QB about to take up a big chunk of the cap; (ii) you need depth at premium positions (everyone does); and (iii) you did sober self-scouting to realize you weren’t affecting the passing game enough to beat your biggest obstacle to the Lombardi.  Super impressed with a well-executed PLAN.  This draft was the product of a clear strategic plan and I’ve literally been waiting decades to say that about this team’s draft.

Agree to the premise of the quality.  Allen gets us to party, if the egde guys become GUYS they very well win us the night.  I think Allen, Edmunds, Johnson goes down as one of the franchise best but this could be sneaky.  Looks and smells like an Ozzie Newsome, or early 2000's 2010's steelers draft.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

When we lost in 2020, it was because we lost in the TRENCHES.  Every single loss we were utterly dominated in the trenches by more physical lines.

Beane said enough of that BS, we are getting bigger, meaner, and more physical.  

This draft made a lot of sense.  And their are still viable options in FA to round out any holes they feel we may need to address it positions they want more competition at.

I gave them an A for this draft.  You win and lose in the trenches in the NFL, it’s proven over and over again, especially in the playoffs.  

Agree about winning in the trenches. The Bills needed to improve on both sides of the ball. This draft will mostly likely do that. The real question is by how much, how long, and what kind of positive impact? Personally, I'm not sure how much of an significant immediate impact any of these guys will have. This draft seems to be a longer term building process which I'm ok with. However, most of us want to make that super bowl appearance and hoist that Lombardi trophy. I'm not convinced this draft did that for this season. Any input is welcomed. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo619 said:

Not a great draft year. Needed to upgrade RB and CB and failed to do so. Etienne being scooped really changed our plans. Win some, lose some. 

I couldnt disagree more with the assessment! Our secondary is just fine and our biggest problem in the run game was our oline.

The defense couldnt generate sacks and make QBs uncomfortable which would actually further improve our secondary.

Bills addresses there two biggest needs. Oline and Dline.

Secondary and RB would have been dumb picks IMO glad bean isnt dumb.

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’ve been seeing a lot of people commenting about how we didn’t get “day 1” contributors.  

We are a 13-3 team that went the AFCCG.  We have a strong roster, rookies generally aren’t coming in from rounds 3 and 5 or later and making an immediate impact on a team this good.  When you have mid round rookies as significant contributors it generally means your team isn’t very good.

So I don’t get all this obsession about other people who are concerned some of our draft picks are going to be developed and learn behind veterans to be groomed as replacements in next year or two.  Even first snd second round picks when picking at the end of the round aren’t always going to have an automatic spot to come in and start on good rosters.  

Best way to develop rookies anyway is to not force them to play before they are ready.  We are in a good spot with good players these guys will learn from and hopefully be ready to emerge as starters and major contributors when the vets are no longer on this team. 

Those are people imo who play too much madden or dont understand Mcdermotts scheme.  Mcdermott is going to rotate his line.  Replace, Johnson and whoever dressed below Hughes, Addison and Epinesa.  Rouseau and Basham are getting in rotation.  On passing downs whoever is in rotation Rouseau is playing tackle and going to use his length to create problems.  Johnson, Cox, Murphy and Epenesa all played an amount you wouldnt want.  Instead of DEs with special team value playing on defense it will be guys with better skills rushing the passer.  Maybe Bashem plays some teams.  Idc if he does.  Edge is too important to waste on speciel team only guys.  The guys brought in at linebaker hopefully fill that void.

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 1

Best draft of my lifetime.  They had a clear, sane strategy that makes perfect sense in today’s NFL where (i) you’ve got a franchise QB about to take up a big chunk of the cap; (ii) you need depth at premium positions (everyone does); and (iii) you did sober self-scouting to realize you weren’t affecting the passing game enough to beat your biggest obstacle to the Lombardi.  Super impressed with a well-executed PLAN.  This draft was the product of a clear strategic plan and I’ve literally been waiting decades to say that about this team’s draft.

I miss the days drafting RB’s with our top ten picks 

29 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree about winning in the trenches. The Bills needed to improve on both sides of the ball. This draft will mostly likely do that. The real question is by how much, how long, and what kind of positive impact? Personally, I'm not sure how much of an significant immediate impact any of these guys will have. This draft seems to be a longer term building process which I'm ok with. However, most of us want to make that super bowl appearance and hoist that Lombardi trophy. I'm not convinced this draft did that for this season. Any input is welcomed. 

Buffalo needs to put more pressure on the oppositions QB and the Bills RB's need to become more involved in the Offense. You said it yourself. It all starts up front. TB pressured Mahomes a record 29 times in the Superbowl. McD wants some of that so he drafted players like the Boogie man Basham. So McD can smash them.   

The Bills young GM Brandon Beane displays a maturity beyond his years IMO on what appears at 1st glance as a lackluster draft. This was a very thought out and well crafted draft process for the Buffalo Bills in my humble opinion.

I think Beane may have struck gold with Stevenson in the 6th 

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, eball said:

Well said.  Cracks me up reading the complainers around here.  This is the most competent, professional front office the Bills have EVER had — and yes, I include the Polian era.

I respect your knowledge and know you have been a long time fan as I have ( myself from the 60’s) and I admire this front office so far.  However , there is no way to compare them to a front office that placed 4 players in the HOF ( and I think Tasker and Bisquit deserve to be there as well) , had a HOF coach in two different leagues , placed the Gm himself in the HOF, won 4 straight AFC TITLES going to an unprecedented 4 straight Superbowls, managed to keep those teams driven despite their success and brought a sense of pride to Western New York that didn’t reappear ( related to the Bills) until last year.
Yes , there was no free agency but for the Bills still to be the only team to go to 4 straight Superbowls and watching the Pats own the division for 20 years with their core intact yet could not repeat that accomplishment, speaks volumes of that front office and organization while dealing with a known frugal owner by many accounts.  Polian also repeated his success in Carolina and Indy, so in my eyes Beane is just starting out and still has much to prove.   The d line failures and lack of a run game that kept us a significant step behind both KC and Tampa are errors that you just can’t chose to be in denial of and say there were no issues with this roster and team building.  Are they headed in the right direction ; it certainly looks that way but let’s see how we do next year with both KC and Tampa to play during the regular season.  In the playoffs we could have easily lost to the Colts , got a key interception to turn the Ravens game around when it looked like they would tie us , and KC throttled us in both games last year. So this roster needs work. 

Polian Et.al. Built the roster and despite drafting 31 st all those years, kept the roster on top of the AFC.  One AFC East title does not make a dynasty and let’s see how we do fixing that d and getting a decent run game as teams are drafting to combat our passing game while loading up on tight end talent as they have seen us get burned time and time again by TE’s in the seams and with a power running attack (the Browns may have beaten us had they gotten the chance with their run game which I believe they beat us with at our last meeting and now their defensive draft class looks outstanding ). We got fortunate with a Cam fumble as we were going to lose that game and by the time we played them the second time the wheels had come off as that game was finally us beating them soundly. This off season they loaded up on tight ends , backs , future Qb, and beefed up their pass rush thru the draft, free agency , and got back guys who opted out. Just saying we are in for a battle to retain the East as most people are stating both the Fins and Jets had good drafts and I think the Pats will be a very tough defensive unit compared to last year. We  need to at least get to one Super Bowl before any claim this office is better than the one our legacy was built by. 

I like and respect Mcbeane and the future LOOKS bright ; let’s just see if they can actually make that promise into reality and then I am willing to consider your premise. Just thinking it doesn’t make it so. I will say Beane bringing in Diggs reminds me of Polian swinging the deal for Bennett and both produced major results on their respective sides of the ball.  You may be on to something and all I am saying with all due respect is it’s early and time will tell!  It’s going to be an entertaining ride no matter what! 😊😉

3 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Clearly our front office believes our DBs were much less an issue than our ability to get to the QB. Our DBs will be even better if the DL gets to the QB in 2 or less seconds each time

I don't think your remark about DBs is necessarily true.   I don't think Beane set out to draft DL in the first two rounds.   I'm sure he had edge on his mind but these guys were drafted because Beane thought they're were the most likely to - eventually - make an impact.

But you're right, too: a good DL makes DBs better!

• Like (+1) 1

I used to really enjoy draft "grades" right after a draft was completed....but I've come to understand that grading these right after they happen is a fools errand.  

That said....from the outside looking in....looking at the Bills as team that will compete with mine for the AFC title.....I don't think this draft went that well for the Bills.  Again...this is all just my own opinion....I don't know your team as well as you all do so I am sure I am missing some information about your roster etc ...but I thought that the Bills would go into this draft looking for opertunities to upgrade the pass rush, the TE position, and the RB position.  I also thought Interior D line might come into play as well, but not the most pressing need.

It seemed like the RB's that the Bills might have wanted, just kept getting picked a few spots in front of Buffalo.  I am almost positive the Broncos moved up in round 2 to get in front of you guys for Williams.  Some of you folks here liked Michael Carter of NC, better than Williams, and the Jets ended up with him.  It's not to say Singletary and Moss aren't good backs....but they aren't home run hitters.  

I thought maybe the Bills might take a shot at Friermuth when the time came..or maybe one of the later guys like Breven....but no TE taken. 

I am not familiar with your O line situation, but clearly you all added some guys there.  

I have no idea how this will turn out...the two DE's may be awesome....or maybe one of this....maybe this turns you all into a fearsome pass rushing machine and Beane got it right.....He's been right quite a bit since he's beein there...so certainly I'd defer to whatever he did and trust it......all I am saying is I'm not sure these picks move the needle that much....or enough to take the next step.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 4

41 minutes ago, Figster said:

Buffalo needs to put more pressure on the oppositions QB and the Bills RB's need to become more involved in the Offense. You said it yourself. It all starts up front. TB pressured Mahomes a record 29 times in the Superbowl. McD wants some of that so he drafted players like the Boogie man Basham. So McD can smash them.   

The Bills young GM Brandon Beane displays a maturity beyond his years IMO on what appears at 1st glance as a lackluster draft. This was a very thought out and well crafted draft process for the Buffalo Bills in my humble opinion.

I think Beane may have struck gold with Stevenson in the 6th 

It's a fair opinion. However, I tend to curb my enthusiasm. Look no further than to Oliver and Epanesa. Both have clearly under performed Now, the hype is on this year's draftees. Realistically, they have a better chance being medicore than elite pass rushers. (Especially for the upcoming year.) Do these draftees instill confidence in Oliver or Epanesa who were picked under Beane's regime? By many experts this years draft was a weak pass rushing class. I'm not nearly as high on our DE draftees. I get and understand the strategy. Time will tell if it works out.

Our defense looks to be miles away from a Super Bowl winning Tampa Bay defense. Tampa is elite at stopping the run (a Bills weakness) and they have elite linebackers. 

Additionally, the Chiefs offensive line seems much improved.  Reid will have learned from the Tampa pounding. They will made adjustments. Using your same thought process teams will just look at KCs game plan to pound the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

It seemed like the RB's that the Bills might have wanted, just kept getting picked a few spots in front of Buffalo.  I am almost positive the Broncos moved up in round 2 to get in front of you guys for Williams.  Some of you folks here liked Michael Carter of NC, better than Williams, and the Jets ended up with him.  It's not to say Singletary and Moss aren't good backs....but they aren't home run hitters.  

The Broncos didn't get ahead of the Bills......it occurred well after the Bills 1st round pick and well before the 2nd

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1